We "finally" won our first Super Bowl

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
I guess that's the comeback now by other fans... before it was "Win something then talk". Now it's "You FINALLY won your first Super Bowl, took long enough"... 37 years is long? That's HILARIOUS. Let's just do a comparison real quick.

It took the Seahawks 37 years to win a Super Bowl.... It took...
Patriots 41 years
Broncos 37 years
Saints 42 years
49ers 35 years
Giants 61 years
Rams 63 years
Eagles.......................... never

It's just so funny to see fans of other teams grasping at straws. They are so mad. I wonder if the Texans win a Super Bowl in the near future if that will be said to them as well? LOL.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, the Super Bowl has only been around for 48 years, so to say it took the Giants 61 years or the Rams 63 years isn't really accurate.

jblaze

Reaction score
Haters will just change the argument once we fulfill their original one. Just the nature of haters.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Also, the Giants and Rams were around before the Super Bowl existed, so your years are off. The Giants only took about 20 years after the Super Bowl was created to win one, plus they have NFL Championships from before it was created.

The Giants are historically a very good franchise.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
With the 49ers I always try to be specific and say it took them 35 years to win their first "championship" since they were around before the Super Bowl. But still accurate.

OP
OP
O

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":saaxv9g1 said:
Are the Eagles, Lions, and Browns the the only teams that were around before the Super Bowl even existed to never win a Super Bowl (though the first two won NFL Championships and I know CLE at least won an AAFC Championship).
Vikings, Cardinals, Bills, Chargers and Titans as well.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I forgot about the Cardinals, who have to be the worst franchise in pro football hands down from a historical viewpoint.

The Oilers/Titans were an AFL franchise, but I forgot about that because of the name and city change.

I had no idea there were that many teams that had been around forever that hadn't won a SB. Wow. Thought we were down to three or four at most.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
Four franchises - the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars - have never even been to the Super Bowl. The Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers, and Tennessee Titans have each lost a single Super Bowl, while the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles are 0-for-2.

The biggest conference winners that can't seem to close the deal are the Minnesota Vikings and the Bills, who have both been to four Super Bowls with zero championships.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Mike":l244cgsr said:
Four franchises - the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars - have never even been to the Super Bowl. The Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers, and Tennessee Titans have each lost a single Super Bowl, while the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles are 0-for-2.

The biggest conference winners that can't seem to close the deal are the Minnesota Vikings and the Bills, who have both been to four Super Bowls with zero championships.

So I'm counting 13 teams in the NFL that have not won a Super Bowl. That's almost half. It's hard to win a Super Bowl. The teams that have multiple should consider themselves blessed as opposed to calling other teams pathetic. It's like being a millionaire, it's hard to be a millionaire, and if you get there good for you. But you shouldn't go around calling everyone else who's not there pathetic losers. Oh well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The thing to remember is that not only did we get to the SuperBowl, but we were treated to reaching the SB with a team that is easily in the top 10 of all time in the SB.

There are plenty of SB teams that are somewhat quickly forgotten, or slide into the SB and eke out a win with a favorable matchup. Neither is the case for the Hawks. It wasn't a case of a SB champion coming from a decent team that got hot in the playoffs, or one coming because one of the best teams stumbled down the stretch (as has happened plenty of SB before) - this was clearly the best team knocking anyone down in their way to rightfully come take their throne.

The Hawks dominated in 2012, slipped a bit in the playoffs, then roared back 2013 to dominate while sitting firmly in 1st or 2nd place (depending on your perspective) almost the entire year. Then utterly dominated the SB itself. And based on the #s one of the most dominant teams in some time.

The Seahawks are also going to end up being one of those teams on videogames like the Bears of 85 that kids pick for years, because they are so hard to beat.

Plenty of teams have gone to the SB, but only a handful were built like the 2013 Seahawks were. The 2005 Seahawks team would barely have been remembered even if it had won it all. The 2013 team will be a team that many other teams will be measured against for quite some time.

It might have taken the Seahawks a while to get there, but when they did they made it memorable.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3r1ewlhi said:
The thing to remember is that not only did we get to the SuperBowl, but we were treated to reaching the SB with a team that is easily in the top 10 of all time in the SB.

There are plenty of SB teams that are somewhat quickly forgotten, or slide into the SB and eke out a win with a favorable matchup. Neither is the case for the Hawks. It wasn't a case of a SB champion coming from a decent team that got hot in the playoffs, or one coming because one of the best teams stumbled down the stretch (as has happened plenty of SB before) - this was clearly the best team knocking anyone down in their way to rightfully come take their throne.

The Hawks dominated in 2012, slipped a bit in the playoffs, then roared back 2013 to dominate while sitting firmly in 1st or 2nd place (depending on your perspective) almost the entire year. Then utterly dominated the SB itself. And based on the #s one of the most dominant teams in some time.

The Seahawks are also going to end up being one of those teams on videogames like the Bears of 85 that kids pick for years, because they are so hard to beat.

Plenty of teams have gone to the SB, but only a handful were built like the 2013 Seahawks were. The 2005 Seahawks team would barely have been remembered even if it had won it all. The 2013 team will be a team that many other teams will be measured against for quite some time.

It might have taken the Seahawks a while to get there, but when they did they made it memorable.

Good points

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2nb8t9w9 said:

Epic.

Jac

Reaction score
You can also turn that argument around. As in, when's the last time you won a SB...twenty, thirty years ago? We won one last month.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1equb5x1 said:
I forgot about the Cardinals, who have to be the worst franchise in pro football hands down from a historical viewpoint.

The Oilers/Titans were an AFL franchise, but I forgot about that because of the name and city change.

I had no idea there were that many teams that had been around forever that hadn't won a SB. Wow. Thought we were down to three or four at most.

The lions arent? The lions have 1 playoff win in the superbowl era. Pretty sure even the Browns, Jags, Cardinals and Texans all have more playoff wins. The lions are 1-10 in the Superbowl era in the playoffs and are 0-7 in the wildcard round haha. I hope Tate enjoys those lions

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":cimn10ja said:
Smelly McUgly":cimn10ja said:

The lions arent? The lions have 1 playoff win in the superbowl era. Pretty sure even the Browns, Jags, Cardinals and Texans all have more playoff wins. The lions are 1-10 in the Superbowl era in the playoffs and are 0-7 in the wildcard round haha. I hope Tate enjoys those lions

The Lions also have four NFL Championships from the days of Bobby Layne.

The Cardinals have one NFL Championship and only got it because the Pottsville Maroons, the real winners, were stripped of it for bogus reasons.

Oh, and they've been around since 1898.

themunn

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":340h15y9 said:
Are the Eagles, Lions, and Browns the the only teams that were around before the Super Bowl even existed to never win a Super Bowl (though the first two won NFL Championships and I know CLE at least won an AAFC Championship).

you're kidding right? Cleveland have 8 titles...
four AAFC and 4 NFL championships