Grant Feasel & chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)

Jville

Reaction score
2023141772.jpg

The NFL settled a lawsuit over brain injuries with more than 4,500 former players in August, but concerns surrounding head trauma haven’t stopped. The Feasels are part of a gloomy fraternity, and more are soon to join.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2023141770_feaselbrain16xml.html[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":38ndp8b3 said:
Though that's tough to read, it's worthwhile. Thanks for posting this.
Good to come across someone with the fortitude to get through the tough reads. :th2thumbs: An uplifting article titled "Blood test determines severity of concussions" was posted here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91541[/urltargetblank]

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Brutal read.

It's hard to balance my love of the game with my awareness that players are shortening their lives. We can say that they get paid handsomely to do so, but at the same time, I'm still helping to create a market whereby people do this sort of harm to themselves for my entertainment.

I can only imagine how it would be if it was a family member of mine that went through this.

I'm super-depressed that the ex-wife's kids don't talk to her anymore. I hope they reconcile. I understand where everyone is coming from in terms of how the kids feel about their mom leaving and about how overwhelming it probably was for her, too. It's just a shame.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Jville":dbsyysii said:
TeamoftheCentury":dbsyysii said:
Though that's tough to read, it's worthwhile. Thanks for posting this.
Good to come across someone with the fortitude to get through the tough reads. :th2thumbs: An uplifting article titled "Blood test determines severity of concussions" was posted here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91541[/urltargetblank]
Yeah, I saw that one, too. My boys play football, so I've been following the info coming out on concussions. It's going to take some time to see the game get safer, even with all the "heads up" programs and attention being given.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I've read a lot of stuff on traumatic brain injury. Comes with my job.
This is the most personal article I've read.
Makes one wonder how many of the old timers suffered in similar ways.
At least we now know how important the concussion protocol is. It's my guess that we've known for a long time but refused to take action. Many of us complain (I'm guilty) about so many rule changes but IMHO the ones pertaining to player safety are worth it.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Geepus how many more of these are we going to read about. Sad indeed. After 4 years of Pop Warner football my son is done. I pulled the plug on it. As much as I love football I can't turn a blind eye to this. Its real! He plays golf now and loves it. Granted he's one of the more bigger kids on the golf team. Last year I posted a link to the Frontline report on it. Worth a watch.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

lsheldon

Reaction score
NFL needs to invest some real money into developing helmets that:

A: Do a better job of protecting players
B: Alert staff & officials if a blow occurs that exceeds a certain amount of G forces so those players can be taken out of the game to be evaluated.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
There's a lot that needs to be understood. Helmets do not provide absolute prevention of concussions. They were designed to prevent skull fractures. I know helmets have undergone changes and probably provide a bit more protection than in years past. But, I don't think the solutions are in improving the helmets. Seems like the game became more dangerous with seemingly better protective helmets. Players started using it as a weapon - in a way it was never intended. So, it's the game that needs to change.

I had the opportunity to speak with former Seahawks WR Paul Johns about this in November when I was in Seattle for a game. He is involved in youth football safety nationwide. It was an interesting conversation (could have been much longer) and he said it's going to take some time. I agree. Coaches have to teach the game differently than they have been. My issue is that it also has to be enforced by the officials. My youngest boys' team is one of the best in their league. His coach teaches proper tackling and emphasizes safety first (they still hit)... only to run into teams that want to win at all costs - even disregarding "heads up" - but, officials miss a lot of dirty play. It's got to be enforced.

I don't watch his show regularly, but Dr. Oz had comments about whether to allow our kids to play. Even after considering the potential dangers, he allows his son to play. http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/201 ... all/26087/

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
rastahawk":2vieh6fq said:
Geepus how many more of these are we going to read about. Sad indeed. After 4 years of Pop Warner football my son is done. I pulled the plug on it. As much as I love football I can't turn a blind eye to this. Its real! He plays golf now and loves it. Granted he's one of the more bigger kids on the golf team. Last year I posted a link to the Frontline report on it. Worth a watch.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/
Thanks for the link to frontline's "league-of-denial". :th2thumbs:

The introduction of sub concussive hits in the death of 21 year old Owen Thomas is new to me. The case of Eric Pelly, a former high school football and rugby player who died so young at 18 after suffering multiple concussions is disturbing. The recommendation that "no one under 14 should play football" hits home. In the end, it's up to us to individually be the decision makers. Institutions have no vested interest in our welfare or the welfare of our family and friends.

NOTE: I know a young man who after 3 and possibly a 4th concussion was advised by two doctors to leave the sport of high school football. After informing his coach of his decision, coach would not even look or talk to him anymore. He's a strong kid and no longer lets that bother him. And as you might imagine, his family is proud he has the strength to make his own decisions and the conviction to act on them. :229031_victory: