Looking forward - Free Agents next year

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but next year the following players will be unrestricted free agents:
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
KJ wright
Maxwell
Smith
Carpenter
Baldwin
Avril
Farwell

Next year, the following players will be in the last year of their contract
Russ
Lynch
Okung
Mebane
Wagner
Lane
Ryan
Turbin
Sweezy
Miller
Irvin

Who do you think are priorities? It makes you wonder how agressive of an offer we can make to outside FA DL players this year.
Also, I see us moving back in the first round of the draft to stockpile more picks - especially considering the depth in the draft.

What do y'all think we do?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Not sure who the Seahawks think is a priority, but this does bring up a good point. The Hawks have said their primary focus is keeping their core together. Everybody in the media is looking at having to re-sign Earl, Sherm and Russell. However look at the rest of the names on that list, gonna need money and cap space to sign those guys as well. People that are all up in arms about losing Tate and Thurmond this year and going to be really pissed when we have to let some even better players go in free agency in the next couple of years. It's the wonderful downfall of drafting well and developing young talent.

Brahn

Reaction score
gubernaculum":1qv5dez1 said:
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
Maxwell
Baldwin

Avril

Russ
Okung
Wagner
Ryan

Sweezy
Irvin

Bold Names = Core
Italics = Wait and see

Gonna hate to see some of these guys go

**Edit** Did not mean to still have Lynch on the list.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Must Re-Sign:
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman

Would really like to re-sign:
Baldwin
One of KJ or Malcolm

Not sure yet:
Maxwell
Avril
The other OLB we don't bring back

Let Walk:
Carpenter
Farwell

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Interesting question I pose to all of you:

Who would you rather have on a long term deal?

Richard Sherman..... OR .....Doug Baldwin, Bobby Wagner AND Byron Maxwell?

For some this may be an easy question. It is not for me.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Doug Baldwin

All need to be brought back.

Malcolm Smith, Byron Maxwell, Cliff Avril are all super important as and need to brought back if the money is there

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":35fehng7 said:

Lets see how Maxwell plays this year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gubernaculum":2z41wckw said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but next year the following players will be unrestricted free agents:
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
KJ wright
Maxwell
Smith
Carpenter
Baldwin
Avril
Farwell

The only thing I'm absolutely sure of is that one or more from this list will be locked up before they ever hit the market and will NOT see free agency next year.

As for the rest of the conjecture, it's WAY to early to even hazard a guess at more than a few of these guys. There are just way too many possibilities between now and then, which is why you don't see long term guarantees in NFL contracts.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think Mebane is going to get cut prior to the '15 season if the draft picks work out as planned. He will free up $5.5M of cap since he has no dead money or bonuses due in the '15 season (this year as well from what I remember).

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":4j0djqrr said:
Earl Thomas $10 mil per year
Richard Sherman $12-14 mil
KJ Wright $4-5 per year
Doug Baldwin $3.5-4.5 per year

All need to be brought back.

Malcolm Smith $2-4 per year , Byron Maxwell $2-6 per year depending on how this season goes, Cliff Avril $5-7 per yearare all super important as and need to brought back if the money is there

Sorry, not gonna happen.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
The one thing I know for sure is that Lynch is either going to be cut or do some major restructuring. No way they're going to let him count $9 million against the cap in 2015.

McGruff

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":16c3ket3 said:

For me its easy . . . Sherman. I believe enough in our system and in our drafting to let good vets go in order to keep the great ones.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
drdiags":osbnz0ar said:
I think Mebane is going to get cut prior to the '15 season if the draft picks work out as planned. He will free up $5.5M of cap since he has no dead money or bonuses due in the '15 season (this year as well from what I remember).

Maybe, but if his play in 2014 is at the same level as 2013, I would bet he stays. He is way more valuable than of the LBs that need to be resigned.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
So glad we won the Super Bowl. Last year really was our best shot with all the free agents we have this year and next (not to say we can't win it again, just that last year would have been a wasted opportunity with the team we had).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":10zs556l said:

Sherman never keep good over elite.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
TheWalrus":2bouas5m said:
The one thing I know for sure is that Lynch is either going to be cut or do some major restructuring. No way they're going to let him count $9 million against the cap in 2015.

Not sure I agree with this. Your assuming that he either has an off year, or that Turbin and/or CMike become the featured back. At this point there is a pretty serious gap in talent between Lynch and the pretenders to his throne. A lot can happen in a year. Granted but like it or not Lynch (more or less) got us to that Superbowl. Who knows maybe by that time AP decides to follow the exodus from Minnesota to Seattle in search of a ring?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
So much for believing players who say that they want to give the Hawks a "home town discount"!

I'll reserve judgment until the second week in February as to who stays and who we ought to let "walk".

On a related note....Just heard Groz say that the Hawks are a 4-1 favorite to win the next SB. This meant that we are twice as likely to win SB IL than any other team in the NFL.... who are listed at 8-1 or worse!

Brahn

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2xi19bz1 said:
So much for believing players who say that they want to give the Hawks a "home town discount"!

I'll reserve judgment until the second week in February as to who stays and who we ought to let "walk".

On a related note....Just heard Groz say that the Hawks are a 4-1 favorite to win the next SB. This meant that we are twice as likely to win SB IL than any other team in the NFL.... who are listed at 8-1 or worse!

Home Town discounts only go so far. If another team offers you 1.5 - 2mil more that is no discount to take less. A discount would be if the terms were the same. In the end it almost always comes down to guaranteed money and cap space.