Much rather have Tate then Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more sick I get .

Tate is better then Harvin . I know Harvin is more explosive and blah blah blah . The guy just can't stay healthy .
Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made .

Just imagine for a moment that we had Tate for 5/31m and Cordelle Patterson on the rookie pay scale . We would still have 7m a year in cap room to extend the likes of Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Wright/Wagner/Okung and the list goes on .

In stead we have a player who many of you think will stay healthy. What.A.Joke. I really wish it were true but he just can't . Did Tate ever get hurt ? Did Tate break many tackles ? Did Tate basically Catch everything ? Yes.

I hated the trade a year ago and I hate it more so now . I love John Schnieder to death but I have a feeling he would agree with me . I like everything we did this offseason including not resigning Tate .. But only because we have soo much money tied up into Harvin

Uncle Si

Reaction score
you're saying you would rather have Tate/Patterson than Harvin. That makes sense.

Harvin>>>>>>Tate and its not close

OP
OP
E

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
How is it not close ?? Football is about consistency as well as production .

Tate's consistency far outwieghs Harvins production. IMHO

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":cojtg2ss said:
Tate's consistency far outwieghs Harvins production. IMHO

Well no kidding. Tate only played 1,000 snaps more than Harvin :roll:

Give Harvin more than once chance after coming off hip surgery before you judge him against a guy who wasn't injured.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tates consistency? Really?

8 games with 3 or fewer receptions. 11 games with 50 or fewer yards. Basically disappeared in the playoffs. And even when he was on he was average. All this in his best statistical season.

I actually like Tate and think he was on he upswing, buthe has never been consistent. Healhy? Sure. Sure handed? Certainly. But his questiknable routes and inability to seperate kept him from ever being consistent.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":93u7a5y9 said:

Tate is better then Harvin . I know Harvin is more explosive and blah blah blah . The guy just can't stay healthy .

Just imagine for a moment that we had Tate for 5/31m and Cordelle Patterson on the rookie pay scale . We would still have 7m a year in cap room to extend the likes of Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Wright/Wagner/Okung and the list goes on .

In stead we have a player who many of you think will stay healthy. What.A.Joke. I really wish it were true but he just can't . Did Tate ever get hurt ? Did Tate break many tackles ? Did Tate basically Catch everything ? Yes.

I hated the trade a year ago and I hate it more so now . I love John Schnieder to death but I have a feeling he would agree with me . I like everything we did this offseason including not resigning Tate .. But only because we have soo much money tied up into Harvin
I agree with you. I also was not happy about trading three picks and spending massive money on a player that can't stay on the field. Tate was always on the field and contributed on special teams as well. I'm not enthralled with Tate but I do think it would have been better to have those picks and the cap room then have Harvin.
Yeah Harvin is so explosive blah blah blah. Too bad we can never utilize it. To think Tate and THREE picks in the draft plus cap room wouldn't have more value to us now is the silly stance at this point.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":24lvetjj said:

The guy did stay healthy for the most part for most of his career before the last couple of seasons. And the injuries of the last couple of seasons are unrelated. It remains to be seen whether he will be healthy throughout 2014, but there is more evidence that he can than there is evidence that he can't.

But if you hated the trade when it happened, there's nothing that any of us will be able to say to change your mind. So whatever.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Harvin was better than Tate in the games where they both played.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tate has been fortunate to not be injured. Odds are that he will eventually. And I would believe that Harvin would have demolished Tates production if he played as much. That runback in the SB was worth a years production in my eyes.

I also think people are way too worried about cap money. It is what it is.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tate was one of three #2's we had. That means reduced playing time for all of them. He is not in the conversation with Harvin because he plays a different role in a different position. This really came down to Tate vs Baldwin and Baldwin still has 1 more year of affordabilty.

Ultimately our receiver corp will be a #1, two#2's and a speed guy. Tate inly fits that #2 role.

Keeping 3 #3's also limits the ability to bring in and develop new talent. Something you have to be able to do in the cap era. I love Tate but he doesn't replace Harvin even if Harvin isn't on our roster.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":rqv06em5 said:
How is it not close ?? Football is about consistency as well as production .

Tate's consistency far outweighs Harvins production. IMHO

Normally I would agree with you about Tate vs. just about any other player in the league. But Harvin is a different cat altogether. I understand your problem with his health, I use that as an argument many times but this time Harvin transcends that debate. He truly is special. Look what he did after touching the ball something like just 17 times last year. When he is in the game there is another dimension to our offense, one that we have never seen around here. Tate, Baldwin and Kearse are quarter horses and Harvin is the thoroughbred. Do we need 3 of the same type of player. I think Tate is very good but not better than Baldwin and we saw where Kearse is headed in his game. I think Kearse's play made Tate expendable.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Percy chose to have the hip surgery done for his future. He could have played this season at 70% but opted for surgery which didn't heal as quickly as everyone had hoped. He is by far the most explosive athlete in the NFL and a borderline MVP. Our offense looked so much different with Percy on the field and Tate was no where to be seen. Golden is a good football player but to say he is better than Percy is laughable. The only prior injury history was crippling migraines that were due to sleep apnea. A full off season to heal coupled with a full training camp is more than enough time for Percy to be at 100% and back in the MVP discussion. Throwing out 'it's a joke' he will be healthy is just as much of a joke as saying he wont be healthy.

Also, Tate's 'consistency' has been for one season. He did nothing for his first two seasons and it finally started to click over the last season and a half. Lions pass more than we do, they are more desperate than we are, they threw more money at him, he is now in a pass happy offense and should be happy.

Phteven

Reaction score
I don't get this at all. Harvin is a game changer, and as others have said, this next year is all about seeing if he's durable. While still a question mark, if he plays all season long, that's a huge shot in the arm for our offense. There's no question that in the games Harvin played last year, he opened things up for the Hawks in a big way.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2llnng5e said:
Harvin had two kickoff returns on the season and has 1 TD. Tate had 58 pr with no TD's.
To be fair, he did have one, but it was called back on a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.