Doug Baldwin?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
What happened to him? Today on all the online news (Tribune, Herald, Times, etc.) he's no longer on anybody's list. Now I know he signed a tender, but that's no guarantee he's sticking around.

He's one of my favorite players and, with Tate gone, pretty important IMO. Been waiting for news of a long-term deal, then suddenly he drops off the radar!

Anybody have some news?

sutz

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think he's signed it yet. But the fact that it is out there makes him less desirable as a FA to the rest of the league. We may not know until the first mini-camp after the draft.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I didn't hear that Baldwin signed his tender. I know he was tendered with a 2nd round pick. If he did sign the tender, then he is sticking around. Signing the tender keeps him here for the year. Offering him the tender means that other teams have to send an offer sheet to the Seahawks to match it or the offering team gives up a 2nd round pick.

Baldwin isn't going anywhere. Nobody will pay him more than we will PLUS give up a 2nd round pick. If he hasn't signed his tender yet, then he will before the deadline and if he has then we have no worries at all because he's locked in for the year.

Personally I hope we actually try to get him locked into a 4 year deal now, before he hits the market next year, but Doug may want to test the waters just to see what his value is out there.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Baldwin has until May 2 before he MUST sign an RFA offer sheet.

OP
OP
tdlabrie

tdlabrie

Reaction score
You guys are right, he didn't sign the tender, he was offered the tender. And I know he has a while before he has to do anything. I just had a knee-jerk reaction to him dropping off of the "current status" list.

Thanks.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
In the simplest/quickest terms...

He's been tendered at the 2nd round level but hasn't signed the tender, making him still eligible to negotiate with other teams as well as the Hawks. Presumably he and the Hawks are in negotiations on a new long-term deal. He has until May 2 to sign an offer sheet with another team, after which his rights revert exclusively to the Hawks, effectively taking him off the free agent market.