What do Golden Tate and Jarrod Allen have in common?

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Looks like the Hawks offered them both just over $4 Million.
Seems to me like they have plans for about $8 to $10 Million.

I'm now expecting Thomas and Sherman to get locked up with a high signing bonus
And super low first year pay.

It's just a thought but the same numbers keep showing up.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I thought you were going to say they think they are worth more than they actually are.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TheHawkster":33sdwl7i said:
Looks like the Hawks offered them both just over $4 Million.
Seems to me like they have plans for about $8 to $10 Million.

I'm now expecting Thomas and Sherman to get locked up with a high signing bonus
And super low first year pay.

It's just a thought but the same numbers keep showing up.

Low first year salaries to go with signing bonuses are quite the norm when it comes to NFL contracts nowadays. It'd be odd if those guys didn't see something like that in the way their extensions get structured

As for the money....We don't need a premier pass rusher or the money one would cost. We need a solid pass rusher to compliment the guys we have. Paying anyone double digits with the current crop of talent we have would be wasteful.

As for Tate, I don't think he was looking for $10 million, but I'm not surprised there was such a discrepancy in what we offered. We already have our High value receiver and in our run heavy offense it makes no sense to pay more than $4-5 million for our #2 guy. Tate got $6 million in Detroit where they are very pass happy, so the number 2 guy there has more value. Good for him and good for them.

jblaze

Reaction score
I'm thinking Allen is going to want too much and will retire and we turn our attention to Will Smith for example. He could probably be had reasonably. We do need one more RE pass rusher, whether or not that is already on our roster is yet to be seen.

If we don't go all in on Allen, we could easily extend both Thomas and Sherman AND put a higher first year cap hit in place to make it easier in the coming years. It is typical to have a low year 1 salary cap hit but if the guys are certainly going to be playing the entirety of the contract, it makes sense to keep the number even across all years so you're not pressed to restructure or cut in the latter years because the cap hit is too high. Both Thomas and Sherman are young, they'll play through a 5 year contract easy, keep the cap steady and pay as you go and don't mortgage the future.

They could also chose to rollover a good chunk of cap going into next year and try to make a splash DE signing or two next year. One thing is obvious, JS/PC are spenders in FA for DL and it is vitally important to our defense.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
They both think they are worth more because of other teams offers and their own personal self appointed worth but to the Seahawks they are valued much less..

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind just bringing back OB Schofield at this point, to be honest. Let him be a body on the right side. That's all we really needed Clem to do for most of the season. Low risk/high reward potential. He's young, and you know he'll buy in. Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

jblaze

Reaction score
There's talk about bringing Schofield back at the vet minimum. I wouldn't put him at the DE though, he'd backup the LB's like he did last year.

Mayowa seems interesting at this point. They could use some youth on the DL.

brettb3

Reaction score
I don't buy that the offer to Allen is that low. I think the Hawks will sign him.

CANHawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":n0g9iaev said:
They both think they are worth more because of other teams offers and their own personal self appointed worth but to the Seahawks they are valued much less..

This is something people really need to understand with this team. If you're a FA looking for a monster payday, don't look here. We'll reward our own if they put in the work and we can afford it but this team isn't going to blow up the bank to buy aging stars to buy a title like Denver and New England are doing and they're not going to ignore the budget to keep a sentimental favorite either. We have a blueprint, we have a cost structure of what we're going to pay for position groups and a GM with the fortitude to stick to that. That's why this thing is going to be sustainable in this salary cap era. I suppose it's inevitable that feelings will get hurt, but everyone will get over it in time.

And for the record, i don't hold any of this against Tate. he's a great player and was a great hawk. Super fun to watch. He's an emotional guy who thought he was a little more important to the future plans than he actually was. I can't fault him for having a few outbursts when ignorant A-holes accuse him of something on Twitter. That emotion is what makes him HIM. In time, cooler heads will prevail.

As for Allen though, screw it. It'd be fun to have him here and I'm sure he'd have a great time, but the money is as important to him as our salary structure is to us. If nobody is willing to bend, no deal is going to be made. Can't fault either side for that...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jblaze":14v1jrm2 said:
There's talk about bringing Schofield back at the vet minimum. I wouldn't put him at the DE though, he'd backup the LB's like he did last year.

He was starting LEO at the beginning of the year while Clemons was out.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2vjajgbk said:
jblaze":2vjajgbk said:

He was starting LEO at the beginning of the year while Clemons was out.
We have 1489 defensive line snaps to replace in the upcoming season.

That's 93 defensive line snaps/game.

It would be nice to have a veteran like Jerod Allen to soak up about 50 of those.

two dog

Reaction score
CANHawk":1l4mfxnu said:
BlueBlood":1l4mfxnu said:

This is something people really need to understand with this team. If you're a FA looking for a monster payday, don't look here. We'll reward our own if they put in the work and we can afford it but this team isn't going to blow up the bank to buy aging stars to buy a title like Denver and New England are doing and they're not going to ignore the budget to keep a sentimental favorite either. We have a blueprint, we have a cost structure of what we're going to pay for position groups and a GM with the fortitude to stick to that. That's why this thing is going to be sustainable in this salary cap era. I suppose it's inevitable that feelings will get hurt, but everyone will get over it in time.

And for the record, i don't hold any of this against Tate. he's a great player and was a great hawk. Super fun to watch. He's an emotional guy who thought he was a little more important to the future plans than he actually was. I can't fault him for having a few outbursts when ignorant A-holes accuse him of something on Twitter. That emotion is what makes him HIM. In time, cooler heads will prevail.

As for Allen though, screw it. It'd be fun to have him here and I'm sure he'd have a great time, but the money is as important to him as our salary structure is to us. If nobody is willing to bend, no deal is going to be made. Can't fault either side for that...

THIS in neon. Now that the team has reached payoff stage, we're probably going to see someone of which we have
become a fan be cut or traded every year. They want the team to stay young and hungry. The core stays, roster is filled
with our own guys brought along and padded with a few free agents. They will never BUILD with free agency as some
teams have tried to do.

These are certainly not my ideas but principles stated by Pete in the past. Thanks for your post, it's a good one.

BTW Thomas-Sherman >>Waaay>>Tate-Allen

OP
OP
TheHawkster

TheHawkster

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":o0eylshb said:
CANHawk":o0eylshb said:
Sherman, Thomas >> Tate, Allen

I'm okay with this...

I'm thinking we're not gonna' be keepin' Sherman.

Its up to Sherman on whether he stays.
He'll make insane money on the open market.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I would rather see Thomas get an extension than signing an aging DE that is ready to retire if needed.
Just my 2 cents. I would love for us to repeat but am totally prepared for that not to happen while we secure the core of this team. 2 or 3 years from now we should dominate again. I am confident of that. :)

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
TheHawkster":3goy17o5 said:
glad2bdada3":3goy17o5 said:
CANHawk":3goy17o5 said:
Sherman, Thomas >> Tate, Allen

I'm okay with this...

I'm thinking we're not gonna' be keepin' Sherman.

Its up to Sherman on whether he stays.
He'll make insane money on the open market.

Yea.....that's pretty much what I meant. He knows what someone else is going to pay him, I just don't see him hangin'. LOB or not....... and Wilson and Thomas will be a higher priority. Is there a CB in our Draft priority? I'd knida' like to see Allen here at the right price just because of the way we rotate our DEs. At his age, it might work very well for both of us.