A Hawks SB Repeat...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
... would put them in the company of 7 other teams (Steelers have done it twice).

I did find one synthesis quote from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NFL_team ... _champions to be telling: "The five keys to repeating Super Bowl wins are: A solid defense, a leader at quarterback, coaching leadership, a good running game, and a few lucky breaks."

This perfectly describes our team, and we create our lucky breaks with turnover opportunities.

What do you think of our chances? :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
There's been so much free agency hand-wringing on here the last two weeks, though, you'd think some on this board believe the super bowl curse applies to the winner, not the loser.

I would take 4-1. That's higher than we've been to actually win the whole schnitzel for most of our franchise's history!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I shall consult The Magic 8 Ball....

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It's about time, Aros! Let it be good news. :pray:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
What are better odds? a Super Bowl Losing team returning the Super Bowl? or the winning team returning?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think it is 12s to 1 chance. I got this in before the magic ball thing....wait a second....Is that a new ball? I hope the old one was retired after the SB win.

sutz

Reaction score
They left one off: minimal roster turnover at critical positions. I'd say we're doing pretty well on that score. And frankly, it was easier to do in the pre-FA, pre-salary cap eras like the Stealers and the Niners did.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ZagHawk":h6xo12nt said:
What are better odds? a Super Bowl Losing team returning the Super Bowl? or the winning team returning?

I think the odds favor the SB winning team returning.

The Superbowl loser's curse is for real; there were only 3 teams in the last 12 years that even made the playoffs after losing the SB: the 2006 Seahawks, last year's Niners, and I honestly don't remember the other one. But usually, the team that loses the SB doesn't even make the playoffs the next year.

I'd say you have to throw that out the window for us though. Historical stats won't mean much to us....we're in a historically good division. We could honestly have all 4 teams have top 10 defenses this year. This division is going to be sick...it can't be overstated how important each divisional win is going to be.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2p2tnhpt said:
The Superbowl loser's curse is for real; there were only 3 teams in the last 12 years that even made the playoffs after losing the SB: the 2006 Seahawks, last year's Niners, and I honestly don't remember the other one. But usually, the team that loses the SB doesn't even make the playoffs the next year.

I'd say you have to throw that out the window for us though. Historical stats won't mean much to us....we're in a historically good division. We could honestly have all 4 teams have top 10 defenses this year. This division is going to be sick...it can't be overstated how important each divisional win is going to be.

I'd bet on Peyton and the Broncos making it back to the playoffs next year, and with a bit better Defense. But they did lose some good offensive pieces.

I agree that we've kept most of our core. Those lamenting Tate will probably forget their tears later in the season when we're consistently winning again.

theascension

Reaction score
Wilson will be better next year I think. Our defense has lost next to no one. The only question is the O-line which will be improved slightly by the O-line.

I honestly think the only things that can get in our way is unfortunate injuries (true for any football team) or just lack of effort (super bowl slump). I find the latter unlikely with Pete at the helm. I think Wilson really truly understands and wants multiple SBs too. Lost in all the noise of the defense was just how much he put the team on his back in some games. And how sound he was in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And if experience is worth anything, the bulk of our team has now had some playoff success for a couple years in a row, and a SB victory. They know what it takes to get there. I hope you're right that they'll pay that price.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawks46":3d62gnmw said:
ZagHawk":3d62gnmw said:

Well, the super bowl loser hasn't made it back to the super bowl since 1972. Super bowl winner hasn't repeated since '03/'04 Patriots. In that regard it's better to be a winner than loser.

However, interestingly enough no super bowl winner since those Patriots has won a playoff game the following season. Either missed playoffs or lost in wildcard/divisional game.

There were different reasons each time, but the general gist is the same -- a team loses a bit of hunger and/or key talent following a Lombardi. It is extremely difficult to repeat in general, but apparently its pretty difficult just winning a playoff game.

Going back to the start of the salary cap (1994), here are the fates of the last twenty super bowl winners' following season:

'13 Ravens missed playoffs
'12 Giants missed playoffs
'11 Packers lost divisional round
'10 Saints lost wildcard
'09 Steelers - missed playoffs
'08 Giants lost divisional round
'07 Colts - lost divisional round
'06 Steelers - missed playoffs
'05 Patriots - won wildcard, lost divisional
'04 Patriots - WON SUPER BOWL
'03 Bucs - did not make playoffs
'02 Rams - did not make playoffs.
'01 Ravens won wildcard game lost divisional.
'00 Rams - lost wildcard game
'99 Broncos - missed playoffs
'98 Broncos - WON SUPER BOWL
'97 Packers lost super bowl.
'96 Cowboys won one playoff game.
'95 49ers lost divisional playoff game.
'94 Cowboys won divisional, lost conference championship

In the last twenty years, these are the percentages:

Repeat as super bowl champs: 10%
Win two or more playoff games: 5%
Win one playoff game: 15%
Win zero playoff games: 35%
Miss playoffs: 35%

If you want to extend back a few more years to 1989 two include the 49ers and Cowboys repeating as champs, you repeat percentage only goes up to 16%. The '91 Giants missed playoffs and '92 Redskins only one won playoff game.

Historic all time repeat percentage back to SB 1, is 15%.

Those are the numbers, without bias. 70% of champs have not made a playoff dent in the last twenty seasons.

So the trend has been, repeat as SB champs or win one playoff game max. Only one team actually won more than 1 playoff game ('97 Packers). In twenty years, that is the streak.

The NFC on paper looks to be weaker this year than last. Outside the NFC West, I'd say the top teams got worse (Panthers, Saints) or stayed the same (Packers). There might be some upstarts in the NFC South (Bucs) but that won't be enough to make a serious post season dent. Falcons might bounce back but don't think they are a top team anymore. NFC East is an afterthought.

I may be biased but I see the 49ers winning the division. More hunger + 2nd place schedule will be enough to get it done.

Also, Seattle has tougher home games this year than last, and they'll waste their HFA on teams like the Giants, Raiders. So their schedule will be a lot more balanced than last year when they had maybe 2 to 4 tough games to prepare for at home (division plus Saints). This year will be division plus Packers, Broncos. On the road for Kansas City, San Diego, Philly, Washington and Carolina.

The big wildcard is the actual schedule, and how teams change this year.

If they make it back to the super bowl and win it, with everything I've mentioned thus far it will be more impressive than this year, hands down.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
NINEster":c1sanaw3 said:
Hawks46":c1sanaw3 said:
ZagHawk":c1sanaw3 said:

Well, the super bowl loser hasn't made it back to the super bowl since 1972. Super bowl winner hasn't repeated since '03/'04 Patriots. In that regard it's better to be a winner than loser.

However, interestingly enough no super bowl winner since those Patriots has won a playoff game the following season. Either missed playoffs or lost in wildcard/divisional game.

There were different reasons each time, but the general gist is the same -- a team loses a bit of hunger and/or key talent following a Lombardi. It is extremely difficult to repeat in general, but apparently its pretty difficult just winning a playoff game.

Going back to the start of the salary cap (1994), here are the fates of the last twenty super bowl winners' following season:

'13 Ravens missed playoffs
'12 Giants missed playoffs
'11 Packers lost divisional round
'10 Saints lost wildcard
'09 Steelers - missed playoffs
'08 Giants lost divisional round
'07 Colts - lost divisional round
'06 Steelers - missed playoffs
'05 Patriots - won wildcard, lost divisional
'04 Patriots - WON SUPER BOWL
'03 Bucs - did not make playoffs
'02 Rams - did not make playoffs.
'01 Ravens won wildcard game lost divisional.
'00 Rams - lost wildcard game
'99 Broncos - missed playoffs
'98 Broncos - WON SUPER BOWL
'97 Packers lost super bowl.
'96 Cowboys won one playoff game.
'95 49ers lost divisional playoff game.
'94 Cowboys won divisional, lost conference championship

In the last twenty years, these are the percentages:

Repeat as super bowl champs: 10%
Win two or more playoff games: 5%
Win one playoff game: 15%
Win zero playoff games: 35%
Miss playoffs: 35%

If you want to extend back a few more years to 1989 two include the 49ers and Cowboys repeating as champs, you repeat percentage only goes up to 16%. The '91 Giants missed playoffs and '92 Redskins only one won playoff game.

Historic all time repeat percentage back to SB 1, is 15%.

Those are the numbers, without bias. 70% of champs have not made a playoff dent in the last twenty seasons.

So the trend has been, repeat as SB champs or win one playoff game max. Only one team actually won more than 1 playoff game ('97 Packers). In twenty years, that is the streak.

The NFC on paper looks to be weaker this year than last. Outside the NFC West, I'd say the top teams got worse (Panthers, Saints) or stayed the same (Packers). There might be some upstarts in the NFC South (Bucs) but that won't be enough to make a serious post season dent. Falcons might bounce back but don't think they are a top team anymore. NFC East is an afterthought.

I may be biased but I see the 49ers winning the division. More hunger + 2nd place schedule will be enough to get it done.

Also, Seattle has tougher home games this year than last, and they'll waste their HFA on teams like the Giants, Raiders. So their schedule will be a lot more balanced than last year when they had maybe 2 to 4 tough games to prepare for at home (division plus Saints). This year will be division plus Packers, Broncos. On the road for Kansas City, San Diego, Philly, Washington and Carolina.

The big wildcard is the actual schedule, and how teams change this year.

If they make it back to the super bowl and win it, with everything I've mentioned thus far it will be more impressive than this year, hands down.

Thanks for the numbers, NINEster. FA does change things, and a win this next year will be proof of PC's life and coaching philosophy, and the fact that we retained our most valuable assets.

My biggest worry for the Hawks is exactly what you stated: Hunger. I'm hoping player leadership remains strong enough to counter complacency. The loss of Red hurts here. Your Ninners may have the hunger, but I'm not sure they'll retain the youth and vigor to match the desire.

Regardless of desire, the odds and schedule are against success. However, we've been playing well against the odds for some time. I'll take the Hawks FTW.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":12bjaum9 said:
They left one off: minimal roster turnover at critical positions. I'd say we're doing pretty well on that score. And frankly, it was easier to do in the pre-FA, pre-salary cap eras like the Stealers and the Niners did.
It was way easier..Back then there was 3-5 powerhouse teams,depending on the year..Never had to worry about a cap or losing a free agent..Look at the Cowboys and even in Jimmy J years they never lost star core players..