Biggest mistakes in the PC & JS Era

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Most here will agree, we have one of, if not the best head coach and GM tandems in the NFL. They have made somewhere around 1K personnel transactions in the last 4 years and have proven to be an elite pairing. Of all the draft picks, trades, Free Agent signings, cuts, and non-resigns what do you think are some of the biggest blunders this front office has made.

Here's a few that come to mind for me

Traded for Charlie Whitehurst (swapped 2nd rd and gave up a 3rd)
Drafted James Carpenter in the 1st round
Signed Sidney Rice to a 5 yr $41 mil contract
Drafted John Moffit in the 3rd
Not trading for Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall when we had he chance

I know we have made tons of great moves but everybody makes mistakes and I'm curious what everyone thinks are our biggest mistakes

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Its crazy how picky you really have to get to find "mistakes"

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Ehh, I'm actually glad they didn't trade for Jackson, dude is a little inconsistent and they would've had to give up a high round pick + pay him a fortune. With Marshall though I think SEA offered two 3rd's and a new contract, but Miami came in offering two 2nd's and a new contract, so it was quite a bump in the offer. Add in to the fact Miami traded him away for two 3rd's after two years to Chicago!! He only turned it around in Chicago, not Miami, so who knows if it would've worked out here. Dude was a headcase in Miami and it could've us been dealing with it if SEA traded for him. Marshall is a beast when he has his head together.

McGruff

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst and it isn't even close.

The only thing that mitigates that at all is the fact that CBJ is still a highly paid backup in the NFL. Why? I don't know.

Sac

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1242r863 said:
Most here will agree, we have one of, if not the best head coach and GM tandems in the NFL. They have made somewhere around 1K personnel transactions in the last 4 years and have proven to be an elite pairing. Of all the draft picks, trades, Free Agent signings, cuts, and non-resigns what do you think are some of the biggest blunders this front office has made.

Here's a few that come to mind for me

Traded for Charlie Whitehurst (swapped 2nd rd and gave up a 3rd)
Drafted James Carpenter in the 1st round
Signed Sidney Rice to a 5 yr $41 mil contract
Drafted John Moffit in the 3rd
Not trading for Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall when we had he chance

I know we have made tons of great moves but everybody makes mistakes and I'm curious what everyone thinks are our biggest mistakes

This is a pretty small list of minor infractions as far as front offices go.

The trade for Whitehurst was understandable, considering we gave up less than we gave up to get Hass and the fact he had all the physical tools.

Carp was a head scratcher, I'll give you that.

Moffit in the 3rd wasn't a bad pick at the time.

We don't know that we didn't try to trade for Jackson or Marshall. But this front office won't overpay. I appreciate that.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I don't want people to think I'm all about doom and gloom. Just thought it was an interesting topic. I really liked the Rice signing at the time and even think he was a decent player for us. Only issue wad he was injured a lot and his salary didn't meet his production., which if we had traded for Jackson or Marshall we might not have signed Rice or had to trade for Harvin.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":26g23qqh said:
I don't want people to think I'm all about doom and gloom. Just thought it was an interesting topic. I really liked the Rice signing at the time and even think he was a decent player for us. Only issue wad he was injured a lot and his salary didn't meet his production., which if we had traded for Jackson or Marshall we might not have signed Rice or had to trade for Harvin.

We'll always have a problem with the price of WRs vs. their production with the current brain trust in power. They like to run, a lot, and Russ spreads the ball around well. That means we'll never have a single WR/TE with out-of-the-world stats. That's life. Having Marshall or Jackson probably wouldn't have provided much different outcome for production/salary.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Signing Matt Flynn to a $20.5M contract with $9M guaranteed was embarrassingly bad, and JS/PC's unfinest hour.

gloss233

Reaction score
TundraApe":24gwfpbi said:
I disagree on the Sidney Rice signing. He was important to the development of this current team.

Really complaing about 2 4th rounders with what we did with late round picks!.

gloss233

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3plufd7o said:
Signing Matt Flynn to a $20.5M contract with $9M guaranteed was embarrassingly bad, and JS/PC's unfinest hour.

But they did recognize there mistakes rather quickly......SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1qu0u4oa said:
But they corrected that quite fast yes?

mistaowen

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2slz0ums said:

Yeah, signing an at the time hot commodity for easily less than half what he expect to get was embarrassingly bad. It's not like we waited for awhile until his contract came down or anything. Winning the Superbowl has destroyed this forum.

Radish, I hope you feel better man. This forum is missing you calling out all the bogus posts.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1kcuvus5 said:

In hindsight the Flynn signing wasn't a good deal, but in FA I was stoked we got Flynn and even when we drafted Wison I'll admit I was a doubter during part of pre-season. I credit the fact we had invested $ in Flynn that other teams didn't think we'd draft a QB high and allowed us to secretly love Wilson yet not have to worry about teams trading in front of us. Plus we got a 5th rounder for him in this years draft. Without Flynn we might not know Russell Wilson!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
You're forgiven. I saw him live in Kansas City it was ridiculous. I hope I'm not shot dead this time around....never been to Arrowhead when it counts.

TAB420

Reaction score
McGruff":3ekwmubq said:
Charlie Whitehurst and it isn't even close.

The only thing that mitigates that at all is the fact that CBJ is still a highly paid backup in the NFL. Why? I don't know.

You can't go wrong with picking Jesus.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not naming any draft picks because there is so much chance involved with picks. Pretty much all the experts agreed that Richard Sherman looked like a really stupid pick at the time it was made, for example. Sometimes "dumb" picks look smart and "smart" picks look dumb.

1. Charlie Whitehurst. This move was dumb before the fact, dumb after the fact. The kicker is that if Seattle hadn't made this mistake, Arizona would have.

2. Trading Rob Sims for a 5th rounder. Sims was an above average LG who ironically would have fit Tom Cable quite nicely, unfortunately Alex Gibbs didn't like him so off Sims went. He's remained a quality starter for Detroit each of the last 4 NFL seasons, while LG has been a pricey turnstile in Seattle. Thankfully, we got Kam Chancellor with that 5th round pick. Maybe we still get him without that pick, maybe we don't. But random draft luck aside, dealing a quality left guard in his prime for a 5th was stupid.

3. The 2013 roster cutdown decisions. Jaye Howard, Allen Bradford, and Michael Brooks flashed ability in the 2013 preseason, but they were let go for bums like Mike Person and John Lotulelei. Person and Lotulelei didn't last long, thank goodness, and we did manage to keep the best player of the bunch (Brooks) on the PS, luckily. Bradford I kind of understand because he was out of cheap team control years, but Howard still has two years left on his deal, and he'd be a great candidate to replace McDonald right now. Unfortunately, the Chiefs grabbed Howard and haven't let go.

4. Matt Flynn. I hate calling this a mistake because $10 million in guaranteed money seems like a reasonable price to pay for a franchise QB gamble. We also got a 5th rounder out of it, and though I doubt it matters a ton, Flynn contributed to the QB competition that helped forge Russell Wilson's legend. The addition of Flynn also helped act as a smokescreen for Seattle in that 3rd round. A few teams might have moved up ahead of us in that frame for Wilson, but didn't because they had seen that we just paid big bucks to Flynn.

5. The Bruce Irvin thought process. Drafting Irvin in and of itself wasn't a mistake. The mistake was drafting a super-raw pass rusher and then banking on him in year one to contribute with no other backup plan in case Clemons got hurt. Irvin's rookie season wasn't good nor was it awful, it was exactly what a realistic person should have expected, but when we needed Irvin to be like Clemons in Atlanta, he couldn't do it. Because he's not that guy. Since then Seattle has overloaded on proven veteran pass rushers. It won them a Super Bowl.

6. Letting Breno walk for what was essentially a 2/7 contract (albeit fully guaranteed). Maybe we get lucky and Bowie is ready next season, but he wasn't ready in 2013. Breno had his best season yet in 2013. If Bowie continues to get Wilson killed this will look like a huge mistake.

7. Keeping Turbin at KR for as long as they did.

I'm sure there are many more mistakes, but I can't remember them. Probably because PC/JS are so good about learning from their mistakes quickly and fixing problems properly without letting ego get in the way.