What were you thinking?

skater18000

Reaction score
What was going through your head, when we drafted Russell Wilson?

Personally, I was a little confused. I knew PC/JS weren't dumb, but my god did they strike gold in the 3rd round. We're talking about this kid becoming the greatest quarterback ever after only his second year. I didn't see it coming on draft day, but I knew he was damn good when I watched some of his film and then later dominating the QB competiton in the preseason of 2011.

Did you realize a legend was born that day he was drafted in the 3rd round?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was excited because my neighbor kept saying that Russell Wilson was the one guy he was most excited about in the draft, so I was being indoctrinated from a Broncos fan who was being unbiased about a player. When we landed him, he we genuinely excited for us and said something like, "Man, I may have to be a bit of a Seahawks fan now."

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I knew (and still know) very little about college football. So I just figured we picked him up as a backup to Flynn. I figured why would you bring in this guy for tons of Money only to have him sit on the bench. Wasn't upset about it, but didn't have much expectations either.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3nxy7epu said:
I knew (and still know) very little about college football. So I just figured we picked him up as a backup to Flynn. I figured why would you bring in this guy for tons of Money only to have him sit on the bench. Wasn't upset about it, but didn't have much expectations either.

I'm starting to think the Matt Flynn signing was a sucess lol :sarcasm_off:

drcool

Reaction score
I knew he was good in college and figured he would come in, maybe sit for a year or two behind Flynn, and then be a passable to decent NFL QB.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I thought, hmm.. we'll see. Can't really say or know much until we see him in our line up.

I know now!!

TAB420

Reaction score
I watched him in the Rose Bowl against the Ducks and kept thinking, who the hell is this kid.

jblaze

Reaction score
It's funny because I saw a lot of Drew Brees from Purdue in Wilson while at NC St. and Wisconsin. Just a proven leader with great completion percentage and a winning mentality.

I never thought he would drop to the 3rd round to be honest. I think it's insane that a couple of inches makes that big of a difference to the NFL elite. There are rules, then there are exceptions to the rules and Wilson is certainly that.

Seahawk for life. Best draft pick in Seahawk history when it's all said and done, no doubt.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
My buddy and I were pretty hammered so we were surprised that we took a QB that high. But then we figured out it was the guy from Wisconsin that we just watched in the Rose Bowl and were pretty happy about it. Obviously we had no idea what was about to happen, but we just thought "oh cool, he's pretty good."

Throwdown

Reaction score
"Josh Portis is gonna beat this guy out"

No, I'm not joking, I really am this dumb.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I remember Wilson having to decide between Wisconsin and Auburn when he left NC State. I was hoping he'd choose Auburn because what I'd seen from him was pretty impressive. I didn't know he'd be as good as he was at Wisconsin, but I knew he had that knack for winning games.

I wasn't 100% sure that he'd be able to overcome his height issues and succeed in the NFL, but I was pretty confident. When we drafted him, I was sure we'd just grabbed our franchise guy. It helps that I never liked Flynn. But I didn't see him earning the starting job as a rookie. I thought he'd take a year and then beat Flynn out in 2013.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I saw him in the Rose Bowl a couple months prior and thought to myself 'this kid has a chance to be good in the pros'. When we drafted him I looked at his TD to int ratio and thought 'wow, it looks like this kid sees the field well and doesn't throw into double coverage much at all'.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wasn't sure of anything, but I definitely thought he had QBOTF potential. He was electric in college and a straight up gamer. I also tried to be hopeful about Flynn, but I never shook the feeling that he was just another stop-gap. Maybe a Hasselbeck-ceiling at the most. My real hope was that Russell would be good enough to take over in a year or two, but I won't claim to have predicted his rapid success as a few other smart folks were able to do. I was definitely sold after a couple halves of pre-season action, though. No turning back after that point.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was very intrigued because I had just watched the Gruden QB camp with him and knew he had some special qualities.

When they drafted him, my first thought was, "wow, they did it!"

Seeing how excited Gruden was over Russell Wilson made me excited when he became a Seahawk.

Sac

Reaction score
A friend of mine (Cowboys fan) bets a lot on college ball and absolutely GUSHED about Wilson. He kept saying "whiskey made me a lot of money" I learned later that he meant Wisconson.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ipii9h4 said:
......I was definitely sold after a couple halves of pre-season action, though. No turning back after that point.
Ditto. I started a thread here after that KC preseason game and talked about how you could see him progress through his reads by watching his head and how rare that was in a rookie and how special it was. The thread didn't get a lot of response which surprised me then and still does.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
My physical reaction was a fist pump. I really wanted to come out of the draft with him or Kirk Cousins. I loved their characters and tape.

kearly

Reaction score
I wrote an article the day the pick was made that it was my favorite draft pick of all time. Mostly, I was just so damn happy that Seattle finally drafted a player I loved for a change. It was also so cool to see John Gruden share the same degree of enthusiasm, a guy who played QB, coached QBs, and coached a SB winning team. Meanwhile Kiper and McShay tried to find nice things to say about Wilson but it was clear he never fit their "can't see the forest for the trees" model. Really should not be surprising which guy was right.

It wasn't until a few months ago that the surreality of Wilson being a Seahawk started to fade.

JKent82

Reaction score
Text to my dad: "Yessssss! I love Russell so much! Such a good pick!

"Yesssssss! QB Comp is on.

"He's six ft nothing. So he's overlooked. Hes got a cannon, super smart, high release, and a chip the size of Doug Baldwin on his shoulder. And he can move."

Response: "Is Flynn nervous?"

Me: "Not yet but he better bring it"

Took way too much work to go back to find that but it was worth it. I was pretty annoyed at Bruce getting picked that high, and I wanted Lavonte David/Mychal Kendricks but I still liked the B wags pick.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
I don't follow college ball too closely. I remember my brother who is a 9er fan kept telling me he was jealous and he was super excited for the Hawks. To this day he says the 9ers will always be his favorite team, but RW is his favorite player. He says if he were to buy a jersey, he would own a RW jersey. Pretty telling that a 9er fan would say that stuff.