Great long-term offseason so far - thoughts

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
First off, I am very very happy with this team right now.

We have 15 million in cap room (most in NFC West by far) and didn't have a huge drop in talent overall. Some key depth left but overall, especially if Harvin is healthy all year, we are very close to as talented as we were last year and have room for some young guys to develop. Moreover, we definitely have the cap flexibility (especially with the cap rising next season) to extend our key players. On to some thoughts:

I am glad that keeping Bennett was the biggest priority for this team. The pass rush and back end feed off each other and that is huge moving forward. Losing Clemons and Red hurts a little but I think we have the horses to compensate and the money saved was very important.

I think McDaniel is cheap and can handle the snaps that Red took last year. He is a big body that can handle the RT/TE double teams. He can also spell Mebane if need be and slide into the 3 spot so Bennett can play strong side on passing downs.

One player who is poised to have a big season is Bruce Irvin. He could be under the radar scary good this year lining up as a joker rush player that we thought we might have had him in last year. I see him taking snaps at LEO, strong end and taking zone drops that just frustrate QBs and blocking schemes. Last year was quiet for him but he slowly developed into a very well rounded player from the raw one tool players he was out of the draft.

On the offensive side of the ball, I am very happy we were able to retain Miller; especially at a discount. I wanted to keep him even at the old price as I thought we would let Giacomini go and having a stalwart run blocking tight end who can catch would be important to the young right Tackle we were going to start next year. The re-signing of McCoy is nice too and solidifies a position I thought we may become very thin at.

At WR, if Harvin is healthy all year, we have an upgraded unit from last year (from game 8 on anyway). If we add in a nice body from the draft or if a flier free agent works out for the split end position (?re-sign Rice, Chris Matthews) then we have a better unit then we had for last year.

On the offensive line we have the LT and C position figured out with interesting options for starters at RT, RG and LG. I like Sweezy and Bailey (as far as average starters with upside go - they certainly aren't All Pros) and unsure about Bowie at this point. That being said, I am still quite quite happy we did not re-sign McQuistan and happy we didn't overpay for Breno (though I wouldn't have minded keeping him for the right price). I am definitely off the Carp train and think we need to grab a draft pick or two for the line this year but don't need to overkill it.

Within the draft, I think we can go any direction but would love to see a WR, OT or pass rusher with the first two picks. I also think we need to re-stock DB and LB so that we don't kill ourselves trying to keep Maxwell and Wright next year.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree with you. I don't understand all the doom and gloom. It's like no one has seen what the front office has done for the last 4 years.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Agree 100%...don't understand all the worrying going on. Its early in the off season and we have yet to come to the draft. We didn't lose anyone that is irreplaceable. I'm excited to see some new guys putting in work

wrenches59864

Reaction score
I'm with you all the way. I have complete trust in the F.O. and what their plans are long term for our team.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Agree with this.

As for re-stocking DBs, remember we have Tharold Simon ready to got this year. The FO seemed very high on him and I think he could be a great depth addition that we didn't get to see last year. So that could save one draft pick for a different position. But it seems like they always draft a DB in the last half of the draft just to keep that cupboard full.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree for the most part. I am still not sure why we dumped Giacomini when he was showing continued growth and I loved his nastiness. As for the if Harvin can stay healthy, boy is that a big if.

Outside of that? Definitely agree and do not understand the doom and gloom myself.

SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS BITCHES!! :D

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
The only thing I'm looking to see is an extension or two before the draft, ala Chancellor. When that happens this off-season will have accomplished every major priority. I don't think you can ask much more than that coming off a Super Bowl. I'm really excited to see the youth on the D-line. We'll still be rotating some veterans in, but it's time to see the new wave of players make a name for themselves.

Largent80

Reaction score
I would like the Hawks to shop Carp for a draft pick, the experiment has run it's course IMO. This draft is going to be good well into the 4th round, and maybe beyond.

sutz

Reaction score
Good write-up. I'm fully on board with the "don't panic" crowd. Life is actuallty pretty good, as far as I can see.

:179417:

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't see carp going. He is on his rookie contract and unless he improves may not even make the team bases on who we draft

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am a bit disappointed we couldn't find a way to keep Clemons.

He was on the downside, but usually that recovery takes 2 years and he was clearly bouncing back as shown by his performance in the SB.

I think he is going to be solid for a while longer. But maybe we just could not have afforded him.

I also would have liked to have kept Schofield. (I would have loved to have kept Tate and I really think we are going to miss him but I didn't see how he could get paid what he is worth here so I realized he would be gone).

That said, if we can keep Sherman and Thomas, this off-season was a success. If not, then probably not.

The worse loss for me personally was Browner, because he was one of my favorite Seahawks of all time. Irrationally or not. It will sting watching him play somewhere else but I am really happy he is finally going to make real NFL money because he has been driving himself into the ground for us and for very little money considering how huge he has been for us. He deserves the success and the payoff.

Otherwise, this has been a reasonably good offseason.

Cartire

Reaction score
By far the best analysis of the offseason so far. This is the same thinking I have. Honestly, I feel like there is a lot of bandwagon fans now (which I don't mind) that don't fully understand the philosophy of this team. Oh, and there's blitzer.

Largent80

Reaction score
Schofield failed his physical and is still an FA. Since we have not resigned him I am wondering what's up with him.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Largent80":o322dkm0 said:
Schofield failed his physical and is still an FA. Since we have not resigned him I am wondering what's up with him.
No way he failed his physical. Giants saw the backlash of the signing then paid their doctor money on the side to "fail" him. Same thing the Raiders did Saffold.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Quite a lot of ifs there but yeh, i'm with you. I love how we're getting even younger but still have our core guys. We could win the Super Bowl next year with a younger team than won it this year. That would be cool.

Largent80

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":pd8rtfun said:
Largent80":pd8rtfun said:
No way he failed his physical. Giants saw the backlash of the signing then paid their doctor money on the side to "fail" him. Same thing the Raiders did Saffold.

What backlash?

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Largent80":f4eek2ve said:
OffseasonChampions":f4eek2ve said:
Largent80":f4eek2ve said:

What backlash?
Social media, everyone was wondering wtf both teams were doing with those deals, lo and behold a day or 2 later the physical magically fails.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Agree with most everything you said though I am in the "prove it to me" mode with Irvin. I have a lot doubts about the guy. Hope he proves me wrong.

We will for sure draft a tall WR IMO and they aren't done tweaking the o-line either.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm wondering what's happening with Schofield as well. He could be a spare Leo and give nice depth if he can be re-signed.

Rainger

Reaction score
In knowing what he wants to make the team and in coaching them up in Pete and his crew I trust.

I going and finding what Pete wants to do what I said above in John I trust.