Quality over quantity

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Schneider is going to really need to nail this draft because of the amount of players we might lose next offseason, the problem is that we have very few picks and most of them are in the late rounds. We have a challenge ahead of us because the niners have 11 picks this draft and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. They have a great chance of picking up several good players and to keep up we need to maximize our picks. We have had great success with late round picks but we must be realize that those late round picks are there for a reason, they just aren't as good as the higher ones. Am I a little scared that the niners might come away with several good players this draft and replenish their roster? Yes i am, but I also have faith in our FO hitting on great players no matter what round.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
When's the last time the 49ers had a real hit outside the first 2 rounds?

You have to go all the way back to 2010 with NaVorro Bowman, and that was in the 3rd.

The 49ers are just not great at drafting outside of rounds 1 and 2. Until they prove otherwise, there's no reason to be worried about their massive amounts of draft picks.

Having so many draft picks just means they have to release some of them because there just aren't that many roster spaces. One of their 7th rounders from this past draft is our #3 QB.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1zu2dnti said:

You have to go all the way back to 2010 with NaVorro Bowman, and that was in the 3rd.

The 49ers are just not great at drafting outside of rounds 1 and 2. Until they prove otherwise, there's no reason to be worried about their massive amounts of draft picks.

Having so many draft picks just means they have to release some of theme because there just aren't that many roster spaces. One of their 7th rounders from this past draft is our #3 QB.
And even in round 1 they have had their issues, this gem didn't even last more than a season of their roster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Jenkins

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2btagqdq said:

Having so many draft picks just means they have to release some of them because there just aren't that many roster spaces. One of their 7th rounders from this past draft is our #3 QB.

Exactly. The Niners had a lot of picks last year as well, but they still didn't manage to upgrade their secondary outside of Reid. They've done very well at hitting on their high round picks, but their depth isn't anywhere near ours and they've had to bring guys like Dorsey in via FA. (Yes, we grabbed Bennett and Avril in FA, but most of our players are drafted and cultivated). Their depth at WR sucked as well....they raided our PS continually and still didn't have any quality depth. Look at what happened when Crabtree was out.

I agree with the OP that we need to hit on some draft picks, but that's actually possible now that we actually have some room for them; last year was a bad year to be drafted by the Hawks. We had depth everywhere and most rookies weren't going to get much playing time. We also have a lot of 2nd year players coming back that we really have no idea how good or bad they'll be.....they didn't get a chance to play for us much last year. So in essence, we're going to have two rookie classes fighting it out for roster spots, which is only going to upgrade our depth again.

A

Anonymous

Looking purely skill players that have a history of measueable contributions, we got the Niners covered.

Sure, our draft will need to be tight, but it always has had to be. Not sure there is THAT much pressure on us now.

Thinking about what I just said, I may very well be wrong, but I'm probably mistaken.