14 years ago, today...

Laloosh

Reaction score
Saw something on Twitter. Didn't see anything here yet...

[youtube]Zn0qqc3EWhE[/youtube]

kidhawk

Reaction score
I still have a small piece of that historic building. To anyone else it's just a bit of concrete, but to me it will always hold some pretty awesome memories.

Largent80

Reaction score
I watched it live. Attended hundreds of games there... Mariners and Hawks, even the Sonics.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
Was sad to see it go. Had to endure Fulton County Stadium being torn down as well when I lived in ATL.

Who was that cheering in the background? Would've liked to slap all of those braying circus seals with a giant tuna fish.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Dreadbelch":1vfwjve5 said:
Was sad to see it go. Had to endure Fulton County Stadium being torn down as well when I lived in ATL.

Who was that cheering in the background? Would've liked to slap all of those braying circus seals with a giant tuna fish.

A new stadium was part of the deal when Allen bought the team, so honestly, we wouldn't be here enjoying this amazing season if that didn't happen. Sometimes change is good, even if it is emotional

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
It was strange, and kinda sad, to hear Kathi Goertzen's voice on the broadcast.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
We got a great spot just below Harborview to watch it.
ESPN was just across the driveway from us.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":2x7l7i37 said:
I still have a small piece of that historic building. To anyone else it's just a bit of concrete, but to me it will always hold some pretty awesome memories.

Same. Every time someone looks at it they say, "Why do you have a little chunk of concrete on your desk?"

More than just a chunk of concrete my friend. More than just a chunk of concrete.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kennedyin92":o694kpd7 said:
It was strange, and kinda sad, to hear Kathi Goertzen's voice on the broadcast.

That was actually Jean Gertzen of KING 5. The lovely, angelic late Kathi was from KOMO 4.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Ate lunch with the Seahawks at that place back in elementary school.

The King Dome ruled.

JZ#1

Reaction score
I miss the kingdom so much. Watching Mariners games there for the years my family had season tickets will always hold a special place in my heart. Safeco field is way nicer awesome baseball venue but it will never be the same as the kingdom was for me.

kearly

Reaction score
Was the Kingdome the first Dome stadium to be demolished? I know that it set a world record at the time for the largest structure ever demolished by explosives.

A

Anonymous

kidhawk":2qphgkdl said:

Hopefully, that piece was not previously a piece of the floor directly under the front edge of the urinals...

A

Anonymous

My High school, Burlington Edison, won the state AA state championship on that turf in 1977 when itg wasn't yet saturated with dried blood sweat and god knows what else. I remember measuring all the guys for turf shoes the week before the game. I was one of the equipment managers who squirted the fluids into open mouths during timeouts and tossed around a LOT of towels. Dried so many wet footballs and tossed them back to refs at home games I had nightmares about it.

Being able to be walking the sidelines during that game in the dome was one of the coolest things I had done to that point of my life. Seeing Griff-J smack about 40 homers live was sweet too.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
2 memories of it....one was a high school band competition and the winner gets to play at half time. I was a sophmore in 77 when we went there. Second memory was with my Grandparents at a 3 game run between the mariners and the NY Yankees. Gpa loved the yanks. He stood up and watched near the walkway most of one of the games.
RIP Kingdome.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
My dad loved to take me to Mariners games there in the early '90s. The only Hawk game I ever attended there was a preseason game in 1994 against the San Francisco 49ers. The Hawks prevailed 30-0 that day and though it wasn't a "real" game, it was the thrill of my young life.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Loved the K'dome as a kid, hated it as an long legged adult, I don't miss the person in front of me driving their seat my knees. Plus the trade off was worth it, C-link, Safeco.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Place where I went to my first Hawk and Mariners games in their first seasons..Went to Sonics games also when they decided to try that out..Many good memories..The baseball all star game in 79..RIP
(Sonics) and KD..

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I saw the Hawks, the Mariners, the Sonics and The Who there!

Submention boatshow