Did we jump the gun a bit?

hawksman53

Reaction score
On thinking this is a place that is now a DESTINATION team? I haven't heard one player besides Finley that has said he wants to come play for us? With the players leaving and anyone we have had intrest in going elsewhere it really dosent seem like it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
$ay it with me: Money alway$ $peaks louder than word$.

godawg

Reaction score
Not every free agent wants to compete for a position.

JonRud

Reaction score
Have to agree with the original poster based on what has happened so far this off-season. As fans we want to believe players will come to Seattle just to have a chance to win a ring, but in reality it's about the money.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksman53":3b6e2ks6 said:
On thinking this is a place that is now a DESTINATION team? I haven't heard one player besides Finley that has said he wants to come play for us? With the players leaving and anyone we have had intrest in going elsewhere it really dosent seem like it.
Remember context.

1. Our actual priority was signing our own FA's we deemed as core.
2. Biggest priority is extending Earl and Richard (preferably sometime in May/June).
3. Melton is a Dallas native and the Cowboys needed him big time.
4. Allen always has, is, and will be ALL about the money as I kept saying despite the disbelief and scorn.
5.We don't have any critical needs.

Context.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
JonRud":hz2yx8kl said:
Have to agree with the original poster based on what has happened so far this off-season. As fans we want to believe players will come to Seattle just to have a chance to win a ring, but in reality it's about the money.

Yup. A lot of fans HIGHLY underestimate the importance of money to players. Extremely hypocritical, seeing as how most of them would never leave a relative sum of money on the table in their own line of work.

That and it's not as if the Seahawks are the only team players can go to if they are looking to win. Some fans act as if the Hawks are the only title contender in the league, and if players don't want to come here for less money, than they have no interest in winning. That's beyond obnoxious and myopic.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Aros":1jzt5qui said:
$ay it with me: Money alway$ $peak$ louder than word$.

Fixed it fer yall...

:sarcasm_on: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :sarcasm_off:

kearly

Reaction score
Weren't we Allen's first visit? Weren't we Melton's first visit? Weren't we Finley's first visit? Seattle is definitely THE destination, the only question is if the players reach that destination or not. When Harvin was dealt here, you could see the happiness in his eyes, and that was before we won a SB.

I personally don't think we lost Allen because of money. First, we have no proof of what Seattle offered Allen. It could very well be that they had a four year deal on the table that was in the vicinity of what Chicago offered. They made a hard push for Allen at least once, possibly twice, so it doesn't sound to me like they low-balled him. Second, I think Allen's wanting to climb the career sack ladder was his #1 priority, which is understandable. Staying fresh is great and all that, but if you just want counting stats like sacks then you want more reps. It's just a simple fact, you will get more sacks playing 91% vs. 58%.

Of course, money is always a factor, as it should be. I don't think any free agent wanted to be a Seahawk worse than Golden Tate, and he wouldn't accept a 40% discount to stay here.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's more intriguing to join an up-and-coming team than an established champion. People want to be recognized as being crucial to success, not as a latcher-on.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
It really seems from the outside that the Hawks have built a pretty cool place for players to come, in terms of team atmosphere, winning and coach/player relationships. But dudes have super-short careers in this league, and on top of that, they're literally risking their lives for it. Money's always going to be an over-riding concern for many, many players, and rightfully so.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
As noted, money will always trump everything else. Also, remember that the Seahawks have to have interest in the player, as well. There might be loads of guys out there who aren't visiting simply because Seattle doesn't want or need them.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Players have Seattle high on their list of places they would like to play, make no mistake.

Carroll was voted coach most would like to play for, players come here often on their first FA visit, and players speak highly of our organization.

If we offered the contracts that other teams have offered this offseason, most FAs would choose Seattle over similar deals with other places.

But we aren't offering those deals.

Players wanting to play here is one thing (which they do). Players getting paid is another.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3j2pldfk said:
Weren't we Allen's first visit? Weren't we Melton's first visit? Weren't we Finley's first visit? Seattle is definitely THE destination, the only question is if the players reach that destination or not. When Harvin was dealt here, you could see the happiness in his eyes, and that was before we won a SB.

I personally don't think we lost Allen because of money. First, we have no proof of what Seattle offered Allen. It could very well be that they had a four year deal on the table that was in the vicinity of what Chicago offered. They made a hard push for Allen at least once, possibly twice, so it doesn't sound to me like they low-balled him. Second, I think Allen's wanting to climb the career sack ladder was his #1 priority, which is understandable. Staying fresh is great and all that, but if you just want counting stats like sacks then you want more reps. It's just a simple fact, you will get more sacks playing 91% vs. 58%.

Of course, money is always a factor, as it should be. I don't think any free agent wanted to be a Seahawk worse than Golden Tate, and he wouldn't accept a 40% discount to stay here.
Not buying any longer than 3 years/6 million or 2 years/7 million. 7.75 is stupid Chicago has more invested in their DL then our entire defense if the contracts actually play out. They won't but just think about that. Personally I believe it was 2 years/5-6 million.

MVP53

Reaction score
Don't forget, Seattle is a long way away for some of these guys.

As was mentioned, Melton is from Dallas. Allen's family lives in Minn, just 400 miles from Chicago.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DannyMcGwire":18f5fcgp said:
Not like players were signing with Denver for a discount.
Unlike us their window is 2 years maximum. They're all in. Funny thing is they haven't actually improved yet. They may have stayed the same but even that's debatable.

TAB420

Reaction score
The difference is we use to need the players so we over paid. Now we can be more selective on the players we sign and we have a head office who want hurt the entire franchise in doing so. Remember we owe everything to the front office that made this team what they are. What I've learned the last 3 years is that I don't know sh*t and if I made the calls for this team we would all be in trouble, so why the hell should I question their moves now?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jvypjti6 said:
It's more intriguing to join an up-and-coming team than an established champion. People want to be recognized as being crucial to success, not as a latcher-on.
godawg":jvypjti6 said:
Not every free agent wants to compete for a position.
agreed, sign a fat contact then not have to work hard happens all the time in FA.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3h27ph9x said:

Not buy any longer than 3 years/6 million or 2 years/7 million. 7.75 is stupid Chicago has more invested in their DL then our entire defense if the contracts actually play out. They won't but just think about that.