After watching XLVIII AGAIN.....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I am surprised that none of the national pundits/haters haven't accused the Hawks of running up the score, as Seattle was still passing in the 4th quarter in a blow out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12x3o4xn said:
I am surprised that none of the national pundits/haters haven't accused the Hawks of running up the score, as Seattle was still passing in the 4th quarter in a blow out.
I'm not. It was the Super Bowl, and we were playing against Peyton "I will totally throw three touchdowns on you in the 4th quarter" Manning. We put in backups near the end, there's literally no argument to be made about our "class", even though personally I'd have loved to see us run it up as much as possible. I mean, it's the freaking Super Bowl.

You don't like it, Denver? Stop us.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
I actually wanted us to keep scoring and hit 50 or more. We easily could have done it if we didn't purposely give the ball over on 4th down twice with backups in. The whole "class" thing is overrated, if you don't want another team to run up the score.... stop them.

TAB420

Reaction score
It wasn't until half way through the forth quarter that I look at my son and said "I think we got this" I was that nervous. The game was two days before my sons 14th birthday and all he asked for was a Seahawk's victory. YOU ALL OWE HIM....lol

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
TAB420":uz4exqf2 said:
It wasn't until half way through the forth quarter that I look at my son and said "I think we got this" I was that nervous. The game was two days before my sons 14th birthday and all he asked for was a Seahawk's victory. YOU ALL OWE HIM....lol
Same here. And I've only been a fan for two years, albeit pretty diehard. It was a weird feeling, and I've never been so nervous for watching a game in my life. I of course knew in my head what was coming, and smiled silently as I passed obnoxious donkey fans every day here in Nebraska. About halfway through the 4th I just let it all loose.

TAB420

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":1knua6m3 said:
TAB420":1knua6m3 said:
Same here. And I've only been a fan for two years, albeit pretty diehard. It was a weird feeling, and I've never been so nervous for watching a game in my life. I of course knew in my head what was coming, and smiled silently as I passed obnoxious donkey fans every day here in Nebraska. About halfway through the 4th I just let it all loose.

Part of my family is from Denver and relocated 30 miles from me in Oregon. I have been a fan since 87 and there are still times when I stop whatever I'm doing and just think to myself, Holy crap we won the super bowl and I just smile. People around me must think I'm crazy.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2j4g2j7n said:

Personally, I don't believe in the "running up the score" meme when it comes to pro sports. In college, yes, if a highly ranked team is pounding on an undermanned team, especially a bottom feeder or a team from a small-time conference or Div II, then one can accuse the highly ranked team of running it up. In in pro sports, everyone is a professional, we shouldn't need to concern ourselves with the players feelings or whatever. Everyone is a pro, everyone is supposed be "good".

I do know there are unwritten rules. In MLB, if you're blowing out a team, then you aren't supposed to do hit-and-runs, aren't supposed to steal bases, aren't supposed to do suicide squeezes, aren't supposed to do sacrifice bunts, yadda, yadda, yadda. Even then, I think it's all BS. But old-school managers will order their pitchers to bean one of your players if you do any of the above. Which I also think is absurd. The irony is that the winning team isn't supposed to do any of the above, but the team that's losing is allowed to do everything it can to come back and win the game.

And in football, you aren't supposed to throw passes, aren't supposed to do reverses, or misdirection plays, or fake punts/kicks, or do onside kicks. Again, its BS, IMO.
Now, maybe doing those things is "bad sportsmanship", but I say you don't need to call off the dogs until the losing team waves the white flag (as indicated by putting in the second stringers).
Most teams will call off the dogs even before the losing team waves the white flag, but they are under no obligation to do so, IMO.

As for the Super Bowl, I listened to a Denver sports radio podcast, and they said that Pete Caroll wasn't running up the score, he was simply taking what the Broncos defense gave the Seahawks. The Broncos were selling out to stop Lynch (and later Turbin, as Lynch didn't even play in the 4th quarter), the passing game was available, so we took what they gave us. The Denver radio guys had zero problem with it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":321ok6qr said:

I am surprised that the Seahawks weren't brought up on charges for robbery, disturbing the peace and assault. That was a mugging!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Laloosh":185a395m said:
Sports Hernia":185a395m said:

I am surprised that the Seahawks weren't brought up on charges for robbery, disturbing the peace and assault. That was a mugging!
Sue the NFL for not providing the Broncos with a jumbo box of rape whistles.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yp27wc6z said:
Sue the NFL for not providing the Broncos with a jumbo box of rape whistles.

Rape?
Donkos were asking for it all week long. Even the ESPN guys with their big mouths were asking for some. :twisted:

JMR

Reaction score
Hey, after it was 36-0 the Broncos outscored us 8-7 so we should have kept the pressure on!

A

Anonymous

RolandDeschain":1pij74df said:
We put in backups near the end...

Correct me, but didn't 100% of the dressed players play at least a down?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
We let them off easy with 43-8, and there is no way with NFL's best offense EVER (snicker-snicker-snicker) on the other side of the LOS that you don't score as much as possible all the way through the game.

Need I remind you what coach Carroll said... "Oh yeah, we can score some more. Hell yeah, we better freakin' score some more. We're going to need some more".

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2vbch9xh said:
RolandDeschain":2vbch9xh said:
We put in backups near the end...

Correct me, but didn't 100% of the dressed players play at least a down?
Did they? I know plenty got playing time, but I wasn't aware that apparently all of them did. If so, that's pretty cool of Papa Pete.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They easily could have hung 50 or 57 points on Denver that night.. they took the foot off the gas in a big way during the 4th

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no problem with running up the score! It's not every day, every year, hell every DECADE you get a chance to go down in NFL history by beating the bejeezus out of the NFL's most prolific offense in the biggest game on the planet...You may as well put a few exclamation marks in the history books with a resounding ASS WHOOPING!

112-0 would have been the perfect score.