2013 Seahawks Draft Class

Sully250

Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on Seattle's 2013 draft class and how much production we can expect from them this upcoming season. From the combine Christine Michael seemed to have some potential and could see more snaps this season and eventually take over Lynch's role. I personally don't think Turbin can be more than a number 2. I am mainly curious about guys like Jesse Williams and Tharold Simon. Considering we have lost a few pieces on our d line I am hoping Williams knee will heal and he will live up to the hype as a terrific run stuffing DT. As for Simon hopefully he can become a good nickel corner.

Let me know what you think .

Cheers.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Michael Bowie is likely to start at RT. He started eight games as a rookie and played extremely well, particularly as a run blocker.

Luke Wilson could lineup as a SE, playing the role of a big, pass catching receiver. His blocking left a lot to be desired.

You have to expect Christine Michael to start to be featured in the offense. He too needs to work on his blocking.

Jordan Hill is expected to see more time at the three technique. With Mebane, Bennett, and Avril occupying blockers, that opens up more pass rushing opportunities for the three technique. Maybe that is why McDonald went from zero sacks in his first three seasons to 5.5 in 2013.

A

Anonymous

Christine Michael will be our number two RB this season. He is to explosive, quick and talented not to play. I assume he has worked on his pass protection - if so, it makes him a great number two at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to trade Turbin for a late round draft pick. Spencer Ware is also back from injury and could be a number three running back/fullback.
Tharold Simon will never be a nickel-corner. He is a prototypical Seahawks-corner. Tall and a good pressure corner. Is suited for the outside corner-role. Will backup Sherm and Maxwell this season.
I'm looking for Jordan Hill to play more and make more use of his minutes. Jordan needs to step in to the "Clinton McDonald"-role as an inside pressure tackle.
Jesse Williams is a big questionmark. Some say he play bad in preseason (with a hurt knee), personally i can't recall it. I could see him get cut if he doesn't apply himself. There are many good players around our d-line so Jesse will need to show, that he can back Mebane and McDaniel up.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawknation2014":oxeju3fb said:
Michael Bowie is likely to start at RT. He started eight games as a rookie and played extremely well, particularly as a run blocker.

Luke Wilson could lineup as a SE, playing the role of a big, pass catching receiver. His blocking left a lot to be desired.

You have to expect Christine Michael to start to be featured in the offense. He too needs to work on his blocking.

Jordan Hill is expected to see more time at the three technique. With Mebane, Bennett, and Avril occupying blockers, that opens up more pass rushing opportunities for the three technique. Maybe that is why McDonald went from zero sacks in his first three seasons to 5.5 in 2013.

I disagree with this assessment. Willson was a willing blocker and made a lot of good blocks throughout the year. I don't think he was a liability at all in the blocking department. I think he'll continue to develop nicely and he should be a key cog in the offense. There's no reason to move him to WR. He's in the same mold of Jermichael Finley, except he is a better blocker.

I'm really excited for Jordan Hill, I think he could have played last year, unfortunately there was a backlog of talented DL players. Now that that has thinned out a bit. I except Hill to be a key rotational player on the DL.

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for Korey Toomer lol. Maybe one of these years he will get healthy.

I'm not so sure about Simon. He had another foot surgery on February 6th.

As for Jesse Williams, I hope he's improved a bunch. The only memories I have of him are being knocked to the ground every time I saw him.

jblaze

Reaction score
I liked what JS said in regards to the 2013 draft class. He said that draft wasn't with 2013 in mind, it was with 2014 in mind. I think they'll do big things this year.

You win a SB, you're going to get other teams overpaying your guys. You can't avoid that, but if you have the forethought to draft the year prior knowing you'll be letting a few of those guys walk the next year, I think you're in a great place. Rookies have a hard time producing but with a year of coaching and experience in the "NFL life" with nutrition, training, conditioning, etc., they will be much better off.

Not to mention, these guys are watching these guys get paid coming off their rookie contracts and they want theirs. They're going to be hungry after sitting for a year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3xpts43f said:

I'm actually hoping we draft a guy who can come in and start at RT. I liked what Bowie showed at LG during the playoff game against the Saints and would like to see him compete for that spot instead.

Looking forward to seeing what Jordan Hill can do.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2im7y48y said:
hawknation2014":2im7y48y said:

I'm actually hoping we draft a guy who can come in and start at RT. I liked what Bowie showed at LG during the playoff game against the Saints and would like to see him compete for that spot instead.

Looking forward to seeing what Jordan Hill can do.

Yes, I too preferred Bowie at guard, but it's a lot to ask of a rookie to start at OT.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2a15h82y said:
hawknation2014":2a15h82y said:

I disagree with this assessment. Willson was a willing blocker and made a lot of good blocks throughout the year. I don't think he was a liability at all in the blocking department. I think he'll continue to develop nicely and he should be a key cog in the offense. There's no reason to move him to WR. He's in the same mold of Jermichael Finley, except he is a better blocker.

I'm really excited for Jordan Hill, I think he could have played last year, unfortunately there was a backlog of talented DL players. Now that that has thinned out a bit. I except Hill to be a key rotational player on the DL.

Willson was a "willing blocker" but he rarely succeeded. As he gets stronger and develops his technique under Miller's tutelage, I'm sure he will get better over time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The whole class save and except Willson and Bowie were mostly all effectively redshirted last season. Both Willson and Bowie showed the team selected well in picking them both have interesting potential to be a lot more than we have yet seen from them but what they've both flashed has been nothing but good. I saw enough from Hill to be positively curious about him going forward and am excited to eventually see what dividends will be derived from Michael. I'm also looking forward to actually seeing Tharold Simon play to see if he will fit our team's system. I sure hope Big Jesse Williams knee injury is resolved and we some of the ability that he showed in college displayed for the team on the field.

As ever the predation that occurred as a result of our attempts to keep a couple of guys on the PS (WR-Harper and OG-Seymour) to allow for their development were continued by the 49ers. Funny how close the two teams are in philosophy that each tries to take advantage of the opportunities to weaken created by the other. Harper has since moved to the Packers after not panning out in SF, but Seymour is on their roster still. It'd be nice to see if Ty Powell might find a spot on the roster this year but he was cut b/c the team had superior OLB depth after adding Schofield.

All in all if the class had some talent but it is far far too soon to grade it as most of the guys would grade out as incomplete as yet.

Reaction score
Danish Hawk":1jd6cbqe said:
Christine Michael will be our number two RB this season. He is to explosive, quick and talented not to play. I assume he has worked on his pass protection -...
I don't know about his pass protection, but, he needs to learn to carry the ball in his left hand!
I've watched several "every carry" videos of CM in college and he (edit: almost) always carries the ball in his right hand. Even while running to his left. In the NFL, defenders will simply "peanut" the ball away from him. He needs to learn how to protect the ball by switching hands. But, of course, what do I know?
[youtube]g3ajTZA3v5A[/youtube]

Go Hawks,
BillA

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ball security is Pete's biggest issue. If you've noticed this, I'm sure the coaching staff has as well and that might be one of the reasons he was inactive most of last year.

He has the potential, but he seems to like attention. I have no idea about work ethic/intangibles but his physical skillset is intriguing. I hope we see some improvment out of him this year.

chihawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":y5hqryas said:
Ball security is Pete's biggest issue. If you've noticed this, I'm sure the coaching staff has as well and that might be one of the reasons he was inactive most of last year.

He has the potential, but he seems to like attention. I have no idea about work ethic/intangibles but his physical skillset is intriguing. I hope we see some improvment out of him this year.

IIRC, one of the main reasons that he fell down draft boards were concerns about off-field issues. I think it's a very good sign that his name pretty much wasn't mentioned after the pre-season....no off-field issues, no griping about not playing, etc.