Who starts this year at the three technique?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
"Pete Carroll said at the NFL meetings that Tony McDaniel will replace Red Bryant and Cliff Avril will replace Chris Clemons."
Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

If Tony McDaniel goes to LDE to replace Red Bryant, that opens up a spot at the three technique.

They will almost certainly continue to use Michael Bennett at the three technique in certain passing situations, but who becomes their two-down player at the three technique if McDaniel is playing at the five technique?

LDE Bennett
LDT McDaniel
RDT Mebane
RDE Avril

OR

LDE McDaniel
LDT Hill/Scruggs
RDT Mebane
RDE Avril/Bennett

Keeping Avril/Bennett on the same side in their pass rushing formation:
LDE Avril
LDT Bennett
RDT Hill/Scruggs
RDE Mayowa/Irvin

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Meh. We'll see. Having Avril and Bennett on the left with Clemons at Leo was the way to go.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I'm surprised how many people thought Chris Clemons was an effective Leo last year and worth keeping.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Doesn't the answer to this question depend upon down and distance and the type of team being played against (i.e.: a running or passing team) ?

If it's a running team I'd bet it's McDaniel@ 3tech w Scruggs @ 5tech, and passing on passing downs the 3tech will be Bennett who in a base D against a running team will play RDE.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3q5vluni said:
Doesn't the answer to this question depend upon down and distance and the type of team being played against (i.e.: a running or passing team) ?

If it's a running team I'd bet it's McDaniel@ 3tech w Scruggs @ 5tech, and passing on passing downs the 3tech will be Bennett who in a base D against a running team will play RDE.

It appears from Carroll's comments that the coaches are thinking about moving McDaniel to the five technique to replace Bryant in those situations.

Maybe they think Jordan Hill is good enough to start at the three technique in that formation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3d51pgf0 said:
Meh. We'll see. Having Avril and Bennett on the left with Clemons at Leo was the way to go.

This. Lots of folks keep saying that Bennett rolled inside to 3 tech on passing situations, but really the best matchup was Bennett and Avril on the same side. Both the RT and RG were overmatched and there were times when both guys got to the QB quickly.

It's interesting that they said McDaniel was sliding over to replace Big Red. I would've thought they would play Bennett there on run downs and his rating vs. the run was similar to Bryant's from the outside. I'm guessing that run downs will be Bennett, Mebane, McDaniel and Avril at the LEO, with Hill/Williams switching in at the 3 tech and McDaniel rotating over to spell Bennett.

As fans, a lot of us think there are defined roles going into the season, but I'm theorizing that the way the coaching staff has run things before, we're going to have a competition at 5 tech between McDaniel and Scruggs, at 3 tech with McDaniel, Hill, Williams and possibly Scruggs, and LDE with Bennett, McDaniel and Williams on run downs. We have a ton of versatlity (the optimistic view) on the DL, the pessimistic view would be we have a ton of unproven guys and we don't know where they're going to fit.

This is the most fascinating position group for me to watch going into OTA's and TC. I'm excited to see how Scruggs comes back and plays at a larger weight. I'm excited to see if Williams can live up to his potential. I'm excited to see if Hill can be productive after a year in the system. I know where Bennet, Mebane and McDaniel fit in, although I am intrigued by McDaniel at the 5 tech.

I also think Avril will be just fine at LEO, although he tends to be a better pass rusher from the left side. I'm wondering if Irvin subs into the right side on passing downs and Avril flips over to the left. This would be advantageous as OT's couldn't get used to pass rushers' moves and countermoves.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Seahawks will sign DT 6-5, 310 Kevin Williams for 1 year, 2 mil deal with 1 mil guaranteed only if he makes the roster. And another +1 mil bonus all guaranteed if he starts at least 8 games. In other words, compete compete, compete for that dough, yo.

joeshaney

Reaction score
If healthy, it'll be McDaniel. I don't care what some reporter took Pete Caroll out of context to say.
McDaniel was good there last year. He'll be good there this year.
I think Leo and Nickel nose tackle is the bigger question.
I predict Irvin/Mayowa/Early draft pick will cover LEO.

No clue where our inside pass rush will come from (outside of Bennett).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Despite who said what it's likely that McDaniel continues to start at 3 tech where he started most of last year and Bennett will start at 5/4 tech on the strong side, but also be rotated out with Scruggs. Hill still has potential, but I don't expect him to start. Jesse Williams still has to prove that he can be an actual football player and not just a guy who benches a lot. I scouted him and predicted his draft fall because of the fact that he's top heavy with skinny legs and would spend too much time on the ground. That said, if he can learn to get his pad level down consistently he's still got a quick first step for a big guy and could potentially contribute pending he strengthens those legs and the knee.

I'd expect a player drafted to go along with a couple UDFAs and scrounged up FAs at DT and strong side DE.

Remember, I wouldn't bother thinking so statically that players don't move around on our front.

theascension

Reaction score
Makes sense, Aside from two games McDaniel rated very well against the run last year. Hopefully he can fill the void of big red. He's more versatile and should be able to play more downs too.

jblaze

Reaction score
One of the young kids will step up at the 3T this year. With McDaniel taking over for Red at the 5T, we'll need one of our red shirted guys from last years draft to step up. Williams or Hill is my guess.

Could also hit in the draft but that's unlikely at 32 with the few good DT's going early.

If Donald fell to 32, that would be insane. It'll never happen though, he's likely a top 15 pick.