Will James Carpenter start at LG?

Will James Carpenter continue to start at LG?

• Yes

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • No, Bailey or Bowie will succeed him.

Votes: 56 53.8%

• Total voters

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Although Carpenter seemed to improve as a pass blocker, he had by far the worst run blocking grade on the team, per PFF (-13.7). Knee problems have limited his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I voted no, but I didn't like the way you phrased the question. Bowie or Bailey may not be the only two options to replace Carpenter as a starter. We are almost certainly going to draft a couple of OL's, and one of them could be the starter. My understanding is that this current draft class is knee deep in OL talent.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
That dog just wont hunt! Not sure if Bailey or Bowie is a shoe in but the draft will be hugely important to not backslide from what was an improving OL now that we have lost Breno and MCQ. Say what you want but I personally thought Giacomini was the most improved player on the OL last year. Cest La Vie.

sam1313

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1b08hcx8 said:
That dog just wont hunt! Not sure if Bailey or Bowie is a shoe in but the draft will be hugely important to not backslide from what was an improving OL now that we have lost Breno and MCQ. Say what you want but I personally thought Giacomini was the most improved player on the OL last year. Cest La Vie.

Agreed @ Giacomini, but he was also pretty horid last year and at the beginning of 13 so you know, not too hard to improve. But I'm gald the boy gets to go make some money, when he wasn't jumping off sides or getting bull rushed back onto Wilson's toes I liked the guy.

Also met his wife at the SB. Pretty cool chick with a crazy bright green and rhinestone overcoat that said Giacomini in stones on the back as I recall...she probably gets to go shopping for a new one now.

RE the OP, I really hope that Carp can get his act together. The guy has the ability to be a monster, and he has sown flashes of dominance at times, even against the likes of Justin Smith. I would love to see him lose about 40 lbs, get in shape, and start steam rolling people next year....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":1vztiigf said:
I voted no, but I didn't like the way you phrased the question. Bowie or Bailey may not be the only two options to replace Carpenter as a starter. We are almost certainly going to draft a couple of OL's, and one of them could be the starter. My understanding is that this current draft class is knee deep in OL talent.
:13:

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think or wish that Carp will be much better this year. He has the physical ability but between injuries and form he has not lived up to the first round draft pick. But there has been many o line guys start off slow then become very good and pro bowl talent. And with cable as a coach he has the best chance to become something. Now if he doesn't improve this year he will be gone. But I believe this year he will make huge strides. He is a monster. Just needs to believe it himself.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
RiverDog":1978bjv4 said:

I'd love to see them draft and plug in a rookie at LG. I like Bowie/ Bailey but one of those guys (Bowie) will be manning RT and I want more than a system player (Read: McQ) at LG next to Okung. My prediction: trade back from 32 into early second. Pick up a 5th rounder. Take a tackle, start him at guard.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RiverDog":2p167zhf said:
This.

kearly

Reaction score
Will Carp make the team? $1.3 million is a lot of dough for an inconsistent backup in the last year of his deal. I would say he's on the outside looking in at this point, unless he pulls a Clinton McDonald and flips the switch at the last instant.

Jville

Reaction score
There is also the additional note that, unlike previous years, Carpenter's 2014 salary is not guaranteed.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I think Bailey wins the LG job from Carpenter in camp.

Bailey showed good athleticism and strength at last years combine. (4.90-40 yd and 27 bench reps) With a year in the program, under Cable's tutelage he should be ready to roll!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Why isn't there a middle option? Like maybe? If he beats out the OL we will draft in the 1st or 2nd round to make sure Russell doesn't get killed in 2014?

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3w4fjjxx said:
Why isn't there a middle option? Like maybe? If he beats out the OL we will draft in the 1st or 2nd round to make sure Russell doesn't get killed in 2014?

Not a fan of Bailey, MHG?

m0ng0

Reaction score
well one of those B or B's is going to have to play RT unless we pick up someone or draft someone who is ready to play day 1, my guess is Carp starts.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
RiverDog":2470iktp said:

I had the same issue with how the poll was worded, and voted no as well.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
m0ng0":gu7t5s8v said:
well one of those B or B's is going to have to play RT unless we pick up someone or draft someone who is ready to play day 1, my guess is Carp starts.

They may want to keep Bailey as the sixth starting linemen in the jumbo packages and as Okung's primary backup.

It's also hard for some coaches to admit that they whiffed on a First Round draft pick, although Carpenter's knee problems have exacerbated his decline. I don't expect that to be a problem under Carroll's ethos of competition. If Bailey is playing better, then I think he would start over Carpenter.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":31ls91mq said:
Will Carp make the team? $1.3 million is a lot of dough for an inconsistent backup in the last year of his deal. I would say he's on the outside looking in at this point, unless he pulls a Clinton McDonald and flips the switch at the last instant.

Yeah, watch him have an amazing year and then walk away to make lots of money somewhere else.