How did we lose so many players but no cap relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me. I feel like Michael Bennett's 10 million dollar deal destroyed us for 2014.

How is that we lost like 10 players and retained one and we have no money this year to keep a guy like Golden Tate?

Seriously, it's almost comedic how little money we have if we want to retain Sherman and Thomas next year (Russell Wilson is a given)...

I just have to get this out there. We lost a ton of players and all we got is Michael Bennett... what a JOKE!

I would have much rather had Golden Tate for 5 million and we could of probably kept Clemons or picked up Jared Allen. Instead we throw the whole kit and caboodle (wtf is that?) at Bennett and we are crippled with a giant knife in our achilles.

Is Michael Bennett really worth like 10 guys? Because we pretty much lost 10 guys for Michael Bennett, this is truth.

WTF are we doing? Can anyone explain this to me?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Tokadub":3tr10zbt said:
Is Michael Bennett really worth like 10 guys? Because we pretty much lost 10 guys for Michael Bennett, this is truth.

His BEARD alone is worth 10 guys, I think you need to take a few deep breaths and relax....

McGruff

Reaction score
Dude, we're sitting on $15 million in cap space still. Bennett didn't cripple us. In fact, he's barely in our top ten in cap hit for 2014.

We are storing away money for Earl, Sherman, Wilson and (perhaps) Okung. Those are the guys that "cost" us Golden Tate and 10 other players. And IMO they are worth it.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I feel like if you read a few other threads (including ones saying similar things to what you are saying) your will get all of you questions answered.

First, Bennett got 28.5 over 4 years, so that's closer to $7 mill per, than $10 per. Second, not that any of these were huge contracts, we also retained McCoy, McDaniel, Hauschka, and Jackson. Third, if we offered Tate $5 mil, he probably still would have taken the deal from Detroit because it was more money. Finally, would you rather keep Tate and sign Allen and lose 1 or 2 of the big 3 (Wilson, Sherman, Thomas)?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tokadub":lkdu8u18 said:
I just have to get this out there. We lost a ton of players and all we got is Michael Bennett... what a JOKE!?

LOL.........overreact?

We're still 14M under the cap, which most of will be used to extend Sherm, Earle and sign draft picks. That leaves 6-7M to try and sign Allen, but he wanted more.

So there you go.

Welcome to the price of winning a SB, everyone wants your players + you have to pay your own. Which I will take EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Every other team in the league wishes they had our problems.

jblaze

Reaction score
We have 15m left in cap for this year, far more than anyone else in the NFCW. Bennett's deal was not 10m, it was a 7.1m apy over 4 years. His cap hit is only 4m this year which is nothing.

The problem is that we're being conservative with our cap because we have to extend Thomas and Sherman this year and Russell and Okung next year. We probably could have kept Tate but given the offer we gave, it's likely we never really wanted him back anyways. His skills and abilities are not unique and he's replaceable. He and Harvin have similar skill sets and we already have enough short WR's. He's certainly not worth 6m a year over 5 years to us, the argument can be made he's worth that to the Lions though since they pass it so often.

Bennett was by far our #1 priority this year. The guys is a beast inside and has the versatility our coaches covet. He only played 60% of snaps and had 8.5 sacks, he'll have more this year. The guy came here on a one year prove it contract and he proved it so he deserves to get paid. Also given what other DE's are getting on the market (Ware, Peppers, Allen, etc) we got Bennett for a steal at 7m/yr.

You seem like you either have been toking way too much or have no clue how the offseason works. This was always going to be the plan if you were paying attention. We have elite guys coming up on their second contracts and we need to budget to keep them.

Would you rather us go out and make a couple of sexy free agent signings and then not be able to pay Russell next year? Come on. If you read this forum at all, this has been covered ad nauseam.

Only desperate teams or teams with coaches on the hot seat go all out for one year, this team and front office is building for the long haul and to be great for a long time. You have to have patience, discipline and vision to make that happen. Schneider and Carroll have those qualities and more, we're going to be just fine.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Tokadub":me97cv8g said:
Can someone explain this to me. I feel like Michael Bennett's 10 million dollar deal destroyed us for 2014.

How is that we lost like 10 players and retained one and we have no money this year to keep a guy like Golden Tate?

Seriously, it's almost comedic how little money we have if we want to retain Sherman and Thomas next year (Russell Wilson is a given)...

I just have to get this out there. We lost a ton of players and all we got is Michael Bennett... what a JOKE!

I would have much rather had Golden Tate for 5 million and we could of probably kept Clemons or picked up Jared Allen. Instead we throw the whole kit and caboodle (wtf is that?) at Bennett and we are crippled with a giant knife in our achilles.

You seem to be misinformed on every level. Clemmons would have cost more than Bennett. we wanted Tate back but only for a certain price, we easily could have signed Tate, but we didn't want to at the rate the lions were willing to pay. Allen would have been a luxury. I'm glad we didn't gives the youth on the team the opportunity to prove themselves, with that money there's NO excuse to not get Thomas and /or Sherman locked up this off-season. Our depth is affected, sure but we should be able to fill the cracks in three draft.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Seaswab":16kgtnsb said:
Its not a 10 mil dollar deal son.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10583 ... e-seahawks

"Bennett will make $10 million in the first year, $6 million in the second year..."

That's from the article. We are paying fricken Michael Bennett 10 million dollars in one season. If we had some kind of plan to retain our dominance for 2015 while keeping Bennett in 2014 that would be a different story.

Instead we throw our entire 2014 cap space at one guy who has been absolutely terrible his entire career except the last 2 seasons. Look it up, Michael Bennett is an atrocious joke when it comes to his production for his career.

WE THE SEAHAWKS CUT BENNETT his first season, and he's lucky we even picked him up to begin with or he might have not even made the NFL.

We have absolutely no reason to believe he will be good next season now that we lost like 6+ defense guys. He benefited greatly from a stacked line up and he still had mediocre stats...

I'm sorry I just don't approve of this situation...

When Harvin is hurt and Bennett puts up a season even worst than his best mediocre career highlight... We are going to be kicking our own booties for letting guys like Tate and Clemons walk out the door untouched... they are infinitely more valuable than the overrated Bennett (our only move this whole off season)... wtf???

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
jlwaters1":34b2ti5r said:
You seem to be misinformed on every level. Clemmons would have cost more than Bennett. we w

Umm... Bennett cost us 10 million, Clemons signed a 4 year deal for 18 million... that's 4.5 million a year... otherwise known as less than half of what we are paying Bennett next year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tokadub":gts0yltp said:

Huh? Clemons cap number alone was close to 10 million in 2014 had he not been cut. Add in your assumed Tate salary of 5 million and we're already 5 million over the inaccurate 10 million that your complaining about Bennett?

Bennett's cap number is only 4 million next year, which is actually less than his cap number his first year in Seattle. While he got an 8 million dollar signing bonus and a 2 million guaranteed base salary in 2014, the bonus only counts 2 million against the cap as the cap hit is allocated over the contract at 2 million per year. He receives the 8 million up front, but the cap charge is allocated over four years.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tokadub":2p1bxqvq said:
jlwaters1":2p1bxqvq said:
You seem to be misinformed on every level. Clemmons would have cost more than Bennett. we w

Umm... Bennett cost us 10 million, Clemons signed a 4 year deal for 18 million... that's 4 million a year... otherwise known as less than half of what we are paying Bennett next year.

Read up on how signing bonuses are charged against the cap.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ev3hyye said:
Seaswab":3ev3hyye said:

"Bennett will make $10 million in the first year, $6 million in the second year..."

That's from the article. We are paying fricken Michael Bennett 10 million dollars in one season. If we had some kind of plan to retain our dominance for 2015 while keeping Bennett in 2014 that would be a different story.

Instead we throw our entire 2014 cap space at one guy who has been absolutely terrible his entire year except the last 2 seasons. Look it up, Michael Bennett is an atrocious joke when it comes to his production for his career.

WE THE SEAHAWKS CUT BENNETT his first season, and he's lucky we even picked him up to begin with or he might have not even made the NFL.

We have absolutely no reason to believe he will be good next season now that we lost like 6+ defense guys. He benefited greatly from a stacked line up and he still had mediocre stats...

When Harvin is hurt and Bennett puts up a season even worst than his best mediocre career highlight... We are going to be kicking our own booties for letting go guys like Tate and Clemons who are infinitely more valuable than the overrated Bennett.

Already calling Harvin to be hurt and apparently lost 6+ guys on defense. Solid post. It is mind blowing you think Tate and Clemons are better than 'an atrocious joke' Bennett. I love Clem but if all you care about is stats, he had a bad statistical year last year. I don't know if you understand how interior linemen are graded, but you should probably look into it before posting BS like this.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Bocci balls !

We have cap space, dude. We will use it to extend superstars.

That is the plan. If Pete felt we needed high price Free Agents we would have set up our cap completely different.

We didn't ask Clem or Red to restructure. We cut them. We have to do it this way to keep Sherm, Earl and Wilson.

You lose a high price over 30 DE, a high price situational player and a #2 receiver.

You keep the BEST Safety and Corner in football. And a QB that gets Percy and makes us the best damn team in football.

Fart

jblaze

Reaction score
You have no idea how contracts work apparently. Bennett's 2014 cap hit (which is all that matters) is 4m.

He got an 8m signing bonus which is prorated over the 4 years. If you're math challenged, that's 2m a year. His base salary is 2m for 2014.

So follow me here, 2m base + 2m prorated signing bonus = 4m salary cap hit for 2014.

The 10m you refer to in regards to what he gets this year in base and signing bonus is irrelevant to the salary cap. The only thing that matters is that he counts 4m towards our cap for this year which his nothing. All year 1 cap hits are small.

This contract is actually team friendly if you look at it. It only guarantees the first two years and we could easily walk away after year 2 or 3 if we wanted since the dead money is low.

You need to do some research on how NFL contracts and the salary cap work. You're making a lot of assumptions and you know what that makes you look like right?

Here are the details of Bennett's contract:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... l-bennett/

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think we are set up very well actually. If we spent like Denver I would be worried. In a couple years that team is going to have to rebuild their whole roster with zero money to do it.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Clemons makes Bennett look like a pile of poo if you want to compare their careers. Heck even Tate (he's young) has had 2 years that were WAY more valuable than Bennett's only 2 decent seasons.

Literally Bennett is on the decline of his career about to turn 28 and he's only had 2 decent seasons, one of them when he's playing the dynamite boy in an all time great defense... how is anyone impressed he's standing right in the middle of an all time great defense???

Still nobody has answered me how is it that we lost like 10 guys and the only guy we retained is Michael Bennett? I just think this was a huge mistake and next year will prove it when Harvin get's hurt (we need Tate) and Bennett is over rated (it would be better to have Clemons or Jared Allen).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Tokadub":t6gjhbxp said:
jlwaters1":t6gjhbxp said:

Umm... Bennett cost us 10 million, Clemons signed a 4 year deal for 18 million... that's 4 million a year... otherwise known as less than half of what we are paying Bennett next year.
Clemmons was set to make 9 million before the release, he's wasn't worth that kind of money. furthermore you keep mentioning 10 million, that's irrelevant unless that's his cap figure. I believe his cap hit is 6-7 million, whereas Clemmons would have been 7 million, hence my comment about Clemmons costing more. Bennett was by far the more impactful player. trust in the depth of this team, everything will be fine.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bennett was a great re-sign in my opinion. When he got paired with Avril, they both had great seasons. He stayed with the Hawks, and actually the deal with him was a must do, as Clem was NOT going to restructure. Remember, our pass rush sucked before he arrived.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Tokadub":2m4d1zd0 said:
Seaswab":2m4d1zd0 said:

Instead we throw our entire 2014 cap space at one guy who has been absolutely terrible his entire career except the last 2 seasons. Look it up, Michael Bennett is an atrocious joke when it comes to his production for his career.

When Harvin is hurt and Bennett puts up a season even worst than his best mediocre career highlight... We are going to be kicking our own booties for letting guys like Tate and Clemons walk out the door untouched... they are infinitely more valuable than the overrated Bennett (our only move this whole off season)... wtf???

Someone has to ban this troll. Embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.