Spend Up To $6 Million

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Let's say Seahawks have their numbers and feel confident they can extend both Thomas and Sherman while reserving enough Draft and Injured Reserved Capital but can spend up to $6 million to improve the team?

What would you do? (And note: I'm just wasting time and having fun don't take it too seriously)

1. Sign 6-5, 311 DT Kevin Williams to compete at 3-Tech to a 1 yr, $2 mil contract ($1.25 base/.75 signing bonus/fully guaranteed contract if he makes the roster)

2. Sign 6-4, 274 DE Robert Ayers to compete at #2 LE0 role to a 1 yr, $2.25 mil contract ($1.50 base/.75 signing bonus/fully guaranteed contract if he makes the roster)

3. Sign 5-11, 200 FS Mike Adams to a 1yr, 1 mil contract ($855,000 base/$145,000 signing bonus)

4. Extend Doug Baldwin from a 1 yr, 2.187 deal to a 4 yr, 18 mil deal with 8.5 mil guaranteed/6 million signing bonus)

Cap Hits
Yr 1: $2.75 m, ($1.25 m base guaranteed/$1.5 m sb)
Yr 2: $4.25 m ( $2.5 m base/$.25 work out bonus/ $1.50 m sb)
Yr 3: $5.25 m ($3.5 m base /$.25 work out bonus/ $1.50 m sb)
Yr 4: $5.75 m ($3.5 m base/$.25 work out bonus/ .5 roster bonus/ $1.50 m sb)

kearly

Reaction score
I like this thread, but I think I would rather see us stand pat for the most part. Or at the very least, if we do sign anybody of note at this point, it would be wise to wait until June 1st. From that date forward, any signings made will not hurt Seattle's comp picks for next year.

Kevin Williams I wouldn't mind for the minimum or after June 1st. Don't know much about Adams but our past history indicates Seattle will look to the draft for safety depth. Ayers isn't a LEO, he's more of an undersized 3-4 DE type. As a standard 5-tech he was okay. He's kind of a passe jack of all trades type, doesn't really fit Seattle's hyper-specialized front seven. I wouldn't want to cut a Scruggs/Brooks/Hill to make room for Ayers.

I would be really surprised if Baldwin took that offer. He's going to get PAID next offseason and I'm pretty sure his agent knows it. I also think we'll see a lot of quality WRs come and go in Seattle, just like Green Bay, the place JS came from.

I'm not sure if Phillips or Spencer fit us, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with one more veteran pass rusher on the team. At the very least, I'd really like to see Schofield brought back, assuming he's okay medically.

I think there is a pretty good chance Seattle signs Finley for peanuts some time after June 1st. I think Finley is just a so-so talent so even dirt cheap I'm not terribly excited about the move.

plyka

Reaction score
Davehawk":e0ug0obl said:
Doug Baldwin all day, would love to see him here for the next 4 years.

Me too. Way superior to Tate in my opinion because I feel confident that Baldwin will continue to he better while Tate had peaked in my mind. That said, he may be worth more than $18m over four years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
plyka":3iz8dzfr said:
Davehawk":3iz8dzfr said:

Me too. Way superior to Tate in my opinion because I feel confident that Baldwin will continue to he better while Tate had peaked in my mind. That said, he may be worth more than $18m over four years.
I have a feeling he may be worth 6-7 million/24-28 if it's 4 years.

brettb3

Reaction score
Phillips signed elsewhere. Can't agree on Finley. He's a very good talent if healthy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
plyka":2w4jes83 said:
Davehawk":2w4jes83 said:

joeshaney

Reaction score
Ayers (or Schofield)
+
Baldwin

Don't think we need to sign anyone else.
I am on board with Desean Jackson for 1 year. Don't want him long term, but for one year we could help him and he could help us. It's not an option and shouldn't be because it's so unlikely, but dang Percy could thrive with marshawn, Russell and Desean needing to be accounted for.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
I like Baldwin as much as the next guy but at over 5 million a year. I think we can get the same production for much cheaper, Hawks cant afford to pay roll players millions of dollars.

joeshaney

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":3n48jxf2 said:
I like Baldwin as much as the next guy but at over 5 million a year. I think we can get the same production for much cheaper, Hawks cant afford to pay roll players millions of dollars.

Don't know that anyone is considering Baldwin at over 5 million a year.

I could see 3.5 per year with a bit extra Year 1.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1676djn4 said:
plyka":1676djn4 said:
Davehawk":1676djn4 said:

I like ADB as much as the next guy but paying him Michael Bennet $$$$? Lawdy lawdy. I dont know about that.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You guys aren't playing this topic pretty well.

As I like the discussion over my own thoughts in my OP, I wanted others to convey where the money should go and why lol.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":40i1e61p said:
You guys aren't playing this topic pretty well.

As I like the discussion over my own thoughts in my OP, I wanted others to convey where the money should go and why lol.

Honestly, other than giving several non guaranteed roster invites I don't think we should make any additions.

Ayers or Scoefield on a 1 year deal makes sense.
Kevin Williams as well, but I wouldn't give him any guarantees either.

Other than that I'd extend Thomas and Sherman and call it good.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
JoeShaney,

Well said... maybe there isn't much discuss that hasn't been said.

I guess let's we do this:

1. Sign Kevin Williams to a 1yr, 2.5 deal with a $1 mil signing bonus.

K-Dubs made $5 mil last year, upon further research he has moved to NT the last 3 years for the Vikes which explains a dip in his pass-rush stats.

In 2013, he had 29 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 5 PD, 1 Int
In 2012, he had 31tackles, 2.0 sacks, 7 PD

I think in a quality rotation and moving him back to UT, he could produce 25-35 tackles, 4.0-6.5 sacks, and 5-8 PD.

But the team has to give him incentives. The biggest one is obviously playing for a Championship, and the other would have to be money which is you'd give him a signing bonus and possible throw some incentive guarantees... which is why I like Kearly's idea of waiting after June 1st because I believe any free agent signed and released afterwards can count against 2015's cap meaning if we risked $1 million on K-Will and he fails to compete for a job, then Seahawks won't take a huge loss especially if they are treading the line after extensions and the draft picks sign.

Kearly,

2. As for Robert Ayers, I know he isn't a natural LE0 but he does have LBer experience and has played a similar pass-rush role that we've seen from the #2 LEO. He has good size, 6-4, 274 and his athleticism is on par with Chris Clemons. I could also see the Seahawks maybe asking to +/- 15 pounds. Minus 15 pounds would give him more of a natural LE0 size at 260 or adding 15 pounds would give him better 5 tech size and possibly size to rush from a DT position ala Bennett at 290.

Both Ayers and Williams combined for 9 sacks in 2013... adding them would negate some of that production we lost in McDonald and Clemons (10 sacks) without committing long-term money to either player.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1ti7th1o said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ti7th1o said:
plyka":1ti7th1o said:
Davehawk":1ti7th1o said:

I like ADB as much as the next guy but paying him Michael Bennet $$$$? Lawdy lawdy. I dont know about that.
Not to us certainly but to other teams maybe.

Latest posts