Mike Taylor looks to get NFL dream back on track in Seattle

Jville

Reaction score
bilde

Schneider followed him through his career as a four-year starting linebacker for the Badgers and was impressed by how Taylor gritted through the core muscle injury. He knew that decision to play through the injury cost Taylor once the season was over.

“He played against my nephews, so I’d known about him for a long time,” Schneider said at last month’s scouting combine. “I felt really bad for him in college. He tore his ACL and everything. He’s a heck of a college football player. Very productive. Unfortunately what happened to him last year he wasn’t able to participate in the event here at the combine. I just always liked him. Fast. Tough guy.”

The Seahawks tried out Taylor in mid-October before bringing him back Dec. 11. His week in Seattle allowed him to start diving into the playbook and get a taste of an NFL practice.

Taylor isn’t sure where he’ll play in Seattle, but an NFL source indicated earlier this offseason that the Seahawks’ plan is to try him at weak-side linebacker. They even gave him a $5,000 signing bonus, which typically are reserved more for undrafted rookies than street free agents.

“It gave me some confidence to just go in there and just play football,” Taylor said. “At that point, it was over a year since I put a helmet on or played football. When I was there playing football, you find out that even though it’s been over a year, you still know what to do. You still rely on your instincts and mostly just gain that confidence to realize you can do this. You’re there for a reason.”
What a come back story we have the privilege of looking in on. Thanks go to fieldgulls.com for posting this story.

Source link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.doorcountyadvocate.com/article/20140329/GPG0201/303290343/[/urltargetblank]

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hope he can find a home in the NFL even if it's not with the Hawks. Definitely a guy to root for.

sutz

Reaction score
Tough kid. Sounds like a natural for our squad. :)

I love that our team seems to have a whole bunch of kids like this waiting in the wings and working to win roster spots. It certainly makes the FA losses we suffered this season sting less. Or at least I hope so.

mikeak

Reaction score
Good stuff but one thing on the $5,000. Considering the minimal impact that will have I am not above this FO just giving him that because they want to be nice to the kid. Don't get me wrong - they think he can compete but $5,000 / $0 doesn't really matter to the team

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
We might be talking about the replacement for Smith or Wright. Guy has heart and is a smart player. Lets see if he can handle the speed of the game. Regardless he comes across as a leader and a great guy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
mikeak":1gl3my5a said:
Good stuff but one thing on the $5,000. Considering the minimal impact that will have I am not above this FO just giving him that because they want to be nice to the kid. Don't get me wrong - they think he can compete but $5,000 / $0 doesn't really matter to the team

He was also the only futures contract player to get a 3 year deal. They obviously believe in him and his potential.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1gg46sxk said:
He was also the only futures contract player to get a 3 year deal. They obviously believe in him and his potential.

That reminds me ..... with regard to team fit and IMO, Mike Taylor's background screams leadership and special teams. Special team and sub package roles would be an appropriate way to get him oriented and up to speed.

It's noteworthy that Special Teams Captain Heath Farwell has had an eight year career with special teams and sub package roles. To date, Heath has never needed a linebacker start to make a career in the NFL. Farwell is 32 years young and will turn 33 on new years eve.