Sherman on Jackson

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I couldnt find it anywhere else, and those in charge can feel free to move it...

Given the vast differences in opinion regarding Jackson (in his release, not just as a potential Seahawk) I thought this article by Rchard Sherman was fascinating

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/02/richard-sherman-desean-jackson/

Ive read a few of these from Sherman and have always been impressed. However, this article is different from him. Its almost a different voice than he's written from in the past, and touches on many salient points about the NFL, its players and the relationships with the fans and media.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Good article. Many solid points. And I definitively agree with his take on Jim Irsay.

Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I would suggest staying away from the "comments" section on this one... its a quick indication of the sadly purveying problems (including reading comprehension) in our society, atleast our society of football fans.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zihagz6 said:
I would suggest staying away from the "comments" section on this one... its a quick indication of the sadly purveying problems (including reading comprehension) in our society, atleast our society of football fans.
I second this suggestion.
For every action, there's a reaction, or in this case, OVER-reaction.
Lots of psychologists extraordinaire.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If he keeps writing articles like this, he will be well on his way to burning bridges with every organization except the Seahawks. Sounds good to me.

theascension

Reaction score
It's terrible the point has to be raised anymore but it still needs to be. I'm glad Sherman is very vocal about the double standard against Jackson (and himself as the 'thug' from NFCC). It's not just in football that everyday racism still needs addressing but everywhere else.
I was reading an article the other day how a woman's Harvard graduate son got stopped several times last year for stop and frisks and he was working on wall street in his business suit.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I was very wrong in my stance on Jackson initially. Stepping back and reading more and more about the situation, I feel for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People love to be offended. Almost as much as they love to assume they know someone they have never met.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
As usual, Richard is eloquent and thought provoking. His points about Cooper and Irsay are excellent. As for Jackson, he has a rep as a problem in the locker room with poor practice habits, etc. Richard didn't address those and likely because he has no first hand knowledge of such. If true, frankly, I don't want him on my team nor do I want Riley Cooper on my team or Jim Irsay to own it.

bigcc

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ad6igjj said:
As usual, Richard is eloquent and thought provoking. His points about Cooper and Irsay are excellent. As for Jackson, he has a rep as a problem in the locker room with poor practice habits, etc. Richard didn't address those and likely because he has no first hand knowledge of such. If true, frankly, I don't want him on my team nor do I want Riley Cooper on my team or Jim Irsay to own it.

Lynch takes practices off every week, do you want him on the team?

And poor locker room habits? Point one player who PLAYED WITH HIM whose knocked his "work ethic" or locker room presence.

TruHammer07

Reaction score
pointing out that Irsay and Riley Cooper are idiots doesn't have anything to do with Jackson. Other than point to a double standard... I thought the point of the article was to defend Jackson.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":242m7sqw said:

to be fair to Sherman, he also states he has no idea of whether Jackson does indeed have gang ties. his point primarily seems to focus more on the hypocritical treatment of Cooper and Irsay (white) over Jackson (not white) and that one was assailed while the other two given a bit of a leash.

There are probably (definately?) many reasons the Eagles wanted to drop Jackson. The issue that "gang banging" was revealed as the primary one is where the double standard lies.

I guess to make the point moreso: what if Jackson was pulled over with a bag of pills and 29K in cash? or even better, what if Aaron Rodgers wrote that article? race plays too much a part in our instant reaction to things sometimes. Sherman nails that point quite well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigcc":lxxwnat2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":lxxwnat2 said:

And poor locker room habits? Point one player who PLAYED WITH HIM whose knocked his "work ethic" or locker room presence.
Lynch does so with coaches permission/blessing. Not the same. As for Jackson, I am merely reiterating what has been reported. Note that I said "IF true". I'm not knocking him or supporting him, only supporting Sherman's article and point of view.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3w6nlanj said:
hawksfansinceday1":3w6nlanj said:

to be fair to Sherman, he also states he has no idea of whether Jackson does indeed have gang ties. his point primarily seems to focus more on the hypocritical treatment of Cooper and Irsay (white) over Jackson (not white) and that one was assailed while the other two given a bit of a leash.

There are probably (definately?) many reasons the Eagles wanted to drop Jackson. The issue that "gang banging" was revealed as the primary one is where the double standard lies.

I guess to make the point moreso: what if Jackson was pulled over with a bag of pills and 29K in cash? or even better, what if Aaron Rodgers wrote that article? race plays too much a part in our instant reaction to things sometimes. Sherman nails that point quite well.
You stated what I was trying to say better than I did to be sure. Thank you.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sherm is a good writer and he does make some valid points. Still he knew Jackson as a child so his perspective while enlightened is also skewed. In fact his point about Riley Cooper could easily be taken the other way. The fact that the eagles chose to sign Cooper but move on from Jackson (the substantially better player) could be double standard as Sherm suggests or it could suggest that they know something far worse about Jackson. Considering the amount of cash involved you can bet they did their due diligence. What did they turn up that is worse than Cooper? Sherm also states that he and many other current and past NFL players have “gang ties” because of the areas that they grew up. I do get the point he is making and it’s a valid one. The devils advocate though might counter that since this is common knowledge around the NFL that it in itself is not a reason the Eagles would have cut Jackson anyway so this point is moot.

Only time will tell id the Eagles made a mistake and the skins got lucky. I did find this interesting article while searching for Sherms. I don’t know how to quantify it.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/03/on-desean-jacksons-great-charity-work.html

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
bigcc":6w9i3psi said:
hawksfansinceday1":6w9i3psi said:

His team mate right after he was released

Jason Kelce ✔ @Jkelce
Follow
We just made an extremely unpopular decision, but I couldn't be more excited and happy with where this organization is going!! #FlyEaglesFly

253hawk

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":1dtaxxp4 said:

Jason Kelce ✔ @Jkelce
Follow
We just made an extremely unpopular decision, but I couldn't be more excited and happy with where this organization is going!! #FlyEaglesFly

A white-bread center from the midwest on any team is probably going to have the least favorable things to say about a brash WR.

themunn

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":2kxqq74x said:
bigcc":2kxqq74x said:
hawksfansinceday1":2kxqq74x said:

Jason Kelce ✔ @Jkelce
Follow

I don't understand your point. He's saying it's an unpopular decision, so obviously he and his teammates would rather Jackson was still there. At the same time he's not going to cry the sky is falling as a result. It's his own equivalent of saying "next man up". That tweet is definitely NOT criticism of Jackson

brimsalabim

Reaction score
253hawk":1z6m4i69 said:
Ziggyy108":1z6m4i69 said:

Jason Kelce ✔ @Jkelce
Follow

A white-bread center from the midwest on any team is probably going to have the least favorable things to say about a brash WR.

wow - just wow.... look I had never heard of this guy before this thread so I have no idea what is motivating him to say that he is excited about his teams future .. :roll: but fyi - I looked him up and he is from Cleveland Hights. Here is some info on his highschool: Cleveland Heights High School was founded in 1901. The current student population is more than 1800, with 18 students per full-time teacher. The school is mostly African-American, with 76% identifying themselves as such, and Caucasian (19%), multiracial (4%) and Asian (1%) minorities.