Russell Wilson reminds me of a young Brady (with legs)

HansGruber

Reaction score
While watching a youtube clip of the last drive of the Patriots' first Superbowl Championship (against the Rams), I was struck by Brady's efficiency and intelligence on the drive. Brady didn't make a single questionable throw. Only one pass was slightly off-target, but still caught. He took whatever drive-extending plays he could find. When his protection broke down on a blitz, he threw the ball away quickly and lived on to put the Patriots into field goal range to win their first Superbowl. Vinaiteiri kicks the field goal with like 5 seconds left and Brady is instantly a superstar.

The exciting thing about Russell Wilson is that he has this same ability to get the ball out quickly, accurately and make the right decisions. Russell Wilson isn't an inferior passer than Brady in any significant way. That game-winning bomb to Sidney Rice against the Patriots in 2012 (the "U Mad Bro" game) proved it to me. Brady had his shot and got picked by Sherman. Wilson got his shot and dropped a laser-guided nuclear bomb into Rice's bread basket while Brady pouted on the sideline like a petulant child.

It's a shame that Wilson isn't really a superstar yet, but he will be. In fact, he will be in the Hall of Fame. Wilson is like a combination of Tom Brady and Steve Young, and that should scare the crap out of the NFC West. All these NFCW teams are really good, but only one team has a future HOF quarterback.

[youtube]vUFbjCD2taw[/youtube]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I see a lot of Montana in him myself. I think he has the drive and work ethic of Brady (and Manning for that matter).

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dont know if any of you watch hockey, but when i hear about his work ethic and dedication, i think of sidney crosby.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I agree about the decision making but Russell doesn't strike me as being "great" at getting the ball out quickly. Not sure how much of that is recognizing what's there versus how the plays are drawn up and having to wait for a route to develop but when I watch him play, "gets the ball out quickly" doesn't come to mind.

He also gets sacked quite a bit which would indicate that he's not the best at getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Am I wrong on this? Just my opinion based on observation.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Funny how people watching the same thing see it so different. I agree that Russel Wilson has the competitive drive and work ethic of Brady..but watching that Super Bowl end what strikes me is how different they are. 4 out of 5 completions Brady dumped off and took what the defense gave him. I tend to think Wilson would have extended some of those and taken from the defense what he needed, further down field. Its not a knock on Brady, he played smart and played the odds. Wilson mostly is in charge of a run first offense, but when we need chunks of yards he isnt always willing to just take what is given, he takes what he needs and that is why he holds on to the ball..trusting his feet to get him time, trusting his receivers to get open.

jake206

Reaction score
He's more Rothlesberger...in extending the play.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1mwsnj52 said:
I see a lot of Montana in him myself. I think he has the drive and work ethic of Brady (and Manning for that matter).

I do too, see a lot of Montana in him that is. Atleast what he does on the field, not sure who I'd compare the work ethic to though - haven't thought about it. Also, when he is really scrambling for his life, yeah, then the Tarkenton images come to mind too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
People are throwing out names like Brady, Montana, etc..........and while the physical similarities between Wilson and these QB's aren't exactly the same, the intangibles are. Work ethic, study habits, grit, intelligence. These are the things that separate the greats from the goods.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3txarqdn said:
Work ethic, study habits, grit, intelligence. These are the things that separate the greats from the goods.

Ohhhh, he gots the goods alright!! :laugh:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I actually liken Wilson to Aikman. He doesn't throw for a ton of yards, but the ones he does throw for are very efficient. Works with the run game and if he needs to, can hang 300 on a defense.

I suppose that Brady was like that early, but that was short lived and Brady became the entire show. Brady is one of those rare guys that at any stage of the game has been known to go empty for an entire drive and pick a part a defense for a TD. Even with a lead.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Russell reminds me a lot of his predecessor and mentor Tarvaris Jackson aka TJ! TJ! TJ!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Vetamur":2ks9bnpg said:
Funny how people watching the same thing see it so different. I agree that Russel Wilson has the competitive drive and work ethic of Brady..but watching that Super Bowl end what strikes me is how different they are. 4 out of 5 completions Brady dumped off and took what the defense gave him. I tend to think Wilson would have extended some of those and taken from the defense what he needed, further down field. Its not a knock on Brady, he played smart and played the odds. Wilson mostly is in charge of a run first offense, but when we need chunks of yards he isnt always willing to just take what is given, he takes what he needs and that is why he holds on to the ball..trusting his feet to get him time, trusting his receivers to get open.

This was kind of my thought process as well. Russ will throw the ball away, or dump it off, but more often than not he goes down the field.

His athleticism is what sets him apart from a Brady or Manning on the field. Wilson doesn't need to throw the ball away quickly like a Manning does, instead he dodges the first guy and extends the play. Then he has the option of picking up yards with his feet or finding an open WR as the defense inevitably breaks down (I don't care how good a defense is, eventually coverage breaks down).

Wilson's most amazing trait (to me) is that like Vetamur mentioned, he takes plays from the defense instead of dumping off and taking what the defense gives, but while he's doing that, he's incredibly efficient and safe with the ball. Wilson can make plays, but rarely forces bad throws or makes bad plays. Usually the worst thing that happens is he takes a dumb sack, or once in a while fumbles the ball.

Wilson's style of play is extremely exciting to me, and I love watching it, but I'm also looking forward to him being better at going deeper into his progressions and seeing the entire field. Once he does that, he'll be a better QB, and when father Time catches up to him, he won't have to rely on his feet so much to be a good QB.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I haven't EVER seen another RW. The way he can beat you in the pocket and also extend plays and still throw laser beams I haven't seen before.

and this not saying he is the best I have ever seen, just saying he has a very unique set of skills

Seaswab

Reaction score
I would like to see him let it fly on the deep play action a little more

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":npf9xiwc said:
I agree about the decision making but Russell doesn't strike me as being "great" at getting the ball out quickly. Not sure how much of that is recognizing what's there versus how the plays are drawn up and having to wait for a route to develop but when I watch him play, "gets the ball out quickly" doesn't come to mind.

He also gets sacked quite a bit which would indicate that he's not the best at getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Am I wrong on this? Just my opinion based on observation.
Brady had a better line than RW..Getting the ball out early could be by design for quick slants ect..