Chadiha writes a positive article about...Russell Wilson!?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow I had to keep double-checking the author of this article because I couldn't believe it.

He favorably compares Wilson to Tom Brady and actually says Wilson could become just as good.

I'm shocked he wrote this considering his past articles. Maybe he's tired of looking like an idiot.

Wilson also will collect more Super Bowl rings, even though that won't happen as quickly as it did for Brady.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10725050/russell-wilson-career-tom-brady-path

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing is funnier than watching an idiot backtrack. Doesn't matter, he's the same idiot who claimed that RW coudn't pass from the pocket.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Best comment:

"Nooooooooooooo! Seattle has been doing so well in part because they always do the opposite of what Jeff Chadiha says they will do! He's figured it out and now will only write praising commentary about the Seahawks knowing it will condemn then to damnation!!!

Well played Jeff..."

HAHA - this is how I feel.

He still lacks any real depth on the value of Russell Wilson - which has been nothing short of spectacular (50TDs and 13 INTs since game 8 of his first year) - as he uses passing yards as the metric of choice (silly) but finally someone draws the proper comparison to Brady which is what I have seen the whole time. Brady wasn't putting up huge numbers until after the SBs. He is also an underdog who has a perpetual chip on his shoulder - like our own Wilson. The media was just quicker to embrace Brady as a "winner" and forgive his lack of massive stats for three big reasons. First, his QB draft class was horrific. The media didn't have to eat so much crow because there wasn't much invested in Chad Pennington as a surefire Hall of Fame QB. In fact, the media was probably jumping at the opportunity to champion a young QB. Second, the NFL wasn't so pass happy and the gaudy statistics that dudes like Matt Stafford put up nowadays just weren't around. Third, Brady looked the part. He is tall, played a more conventional pocket QB game (rather than being a short run around Doug Flutie type - at least in the eyes of the media) and had some classic QB moments (leading the drive for game winning kick in his first SB). Russell hasn't had that signature performance yet. The biggest play in the NFCCG was Sherman's tip and he wasn't really a huge part of the Super Bowl win. Atlanta could have been it but we didn't pull that one through. Still, I am glad that this comparison is being made somewhere in the mainstream.

seanoob

Reaction score
I liked reading all his articles leading up to SB 48. They were comic gold.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
aaaaand he lost me at 'wilson has already played in two pro-bowls'

no he's played in one. He was voted to two. Is it too much to ask that a professional writer actually use their brain and edit themselves? I mean I get the point he's making but he seems to edit himself less than any of us edit our posts here and that is saying something - considering that is basically his job.

small things but annoys the crap out of me. get the simplest of facts right and state them correctly.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawknballs":xpaa7xzc said:

no he's played in one. He was voted to two. Is it too much to ask that a professional writer actually use their brain and edit themselves? I mean I get the point he's making but he seems to edit himself less than any of us edit our posts here and that is saying something - considering that is basically his job.

small things but annoys the crap out of me. get the simplest of facts right and state them correctly.
Obviously it is too much to ask and you know it. :p

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2s9moxh3 said:

Sad thing is that the ESPN Seahawks writer, Terry Blowhole, makes this guy look fairly competent.

kearly

Reaction score
It's progress, but this was a backhanded compliment kind of article. He says Seattle will win SBs again but not right away, which makes no sense since you would expect Seattle's roster to be stronger in 2014 than in 2017 when a lot of their good, young, low cost players will get the Golden Tate treatment.

Also says that there are too many franchise QBs today for a dynasty. The comment about the number of good QBs compared to the early 2000s is true, but has Chadiha noticed that Brees, Brady, and Manning are winless against the Wilson-era Seahawks? You can beat Seattle by playing extremely good defense, but not with extremely good offense.

Also calls Wilson a game manager, which is deceptive if not dishonest. When Wilson is asked to take over a game, he plays his best football.

People in the comments saying Wilson can't be a good QB because he has a good defense, citing a brainless assumption as though it were a natural law of football.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":32zght5f said:
It's progress, but this was a backhanded compliment kind of article. He says Seattle will win SBs again but not right away, which makes no sense since you would expect Seattle's roster to be stronger in 2014 than in 2017 when a lot of their good, young, low cost players will get the Golden Tate treatment.

Also says that there are too many franchise QBs today for a dynasty. The comment about the number of good QBs compared to the early 2000s is true, but has Chadiha noticed that Brees, Brady, and Manning are winless against the Wilson-era Seahawks? You can beat Seattle by playing extremely good defense, but not with extremely good offense.

Also calls Wilson a game manager, which is deceptive if not dishonest. When Wilson is asked to take over a game, he plays his best football.

People in the comments saying Wilson can't be a good QB because he has a good defense, citing a brainless assumption as though it were a natural law of football.

It's insanity. Just like saying he can't pass from the pocket because he does it so well outside of the pocket.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":c6iic89y said:

But he also makes the point that Brady was a game manager early in his career before the Pats let him loose. He says the same will happen with Wilson.

To me, that says he recognizes that Wilson has the skills, but that the Seahawks are holding him back on purpose (because they only need a game manager right now).

I hate the "game manager" tag as much as anyone, but I don't see him saying that is all Wilson is and can be. That is just all he is allowed to be right now.

kearly

Reaction score
Well, personally I do not view Wilson as a true "game manager." It's a misnomer applied to him because of the low pass attempts, but the true definition of a game manager is a guy like Alex Smith who can only facilitate an offense but can't make explosive plays. Wilson is one of the best in the league at making explosive plays.

What's odd to me is that nobody calls Kaepernick or RG3 game managers, and both are mobile QBs with low pass attempts. I think the label sticks to Wilson because the winning and good defense reminds people of past QBs like Johnson in Tampa, or Dilfer in Baltimore, or young Brady. But Wilson is no more of a game manager than any of the other elite QBs in the league. Ask him to throw 40 times and he will give you 300+ yards and multiple TDs.

Low pass attempts does not equal game manager.

Also, I personally do not think young Brady was quite as stellar people make him out to be. The current Tom Brady is a couple notches higher in his game than the younger version was. Much faster in progressions, much better with timing, even his arm seems better at times.

I think Wilson is actually a better QB than Brady in a lot of ways, but he has glaring weaknesses and very good defenses in the division that now how to mercilessly attack those weaknesses. Get Wilson some better interior pass pro, get him a more sophisticated OC and have Pete relax his desire to lead the league in rushing % and Wilson will be an unquestioned MVP candidate with gaudy counting stats.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He managed to win the Superbowl. The only thing that truly matters.
Other teams can have their 4 or 5K plus yard QB's, I'll take RW.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I am convinced that Kearly has me on ignore. That or he refuses to respond to gibberish, which, unfortunately, is all that I am capable of.

jkitsune

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ls0prbk said:
Hawknballs":2ls0prbk said:

Obviously it is too much to ask and you know it. :p

Man, if you're this irritated by a small difference in concrete information that does not alter the semantic thrust of the article, I can't imagine how you feel reading the rest of ESPN's crap.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Good points. I also get infuriated when I see people say- "RW is a game manager because he doesn't throw it 30+ times." The media has been on this narrative that this is a passing league, and any evidence to the contrary will be ignored.

The fact is yes, passing has gone up, but the best teams over the last few years have been "BALANCED" teams. Balanced teams are the most dangerous. Look @ Seattle, SF, and Carolina-- Solid QB's/ good running games & strong defenses. Those were the 3 best teams in the NFC last year.

Funny also in this article talking about BRady throwing it more AFTER winning 3 SB's. So let's get this straight with a balanced team Bill Billichick is able to win 3 Super Bowls, With a Pass first offense he's won 0. Yep that's what Seattle should strive for. PC makes it painfully obvious leading up to the Super Bowl that a team that is reliant on 1 player, makes winning harder, whereas If you can win in numerous ways you make yourself hard to beat. Hence RW, can have a bad game and the defense and special teams can pull it out.

To me the greatest comparison for Seattle and RW would be the 90's Cowboys with Aikman. Go pull up Aikman's career stats, there are shockingly modest. He had 1 year of 20+ TD's in his career (23), His best passing yards total was 3,445 (RW's 2nd year would rank 2nd in Aikman's career- 3,357), YET Aikman was EXTREMELY efficient. He made plays when they had to too win.

When you compare Dallas to Seattle it's quite amazing the similarities. Both Teams realied on a dominate RB, Both had strong defenses, Dallas had a better OL than Seattle. Seattle had the better secondary. Both QB's are extremely efficient and put their team in a position to win.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hate "reaction journalism". If you have to use this tactic, you are a crappy journalist/sportswriter (like this guy, Prisco, Steve Kelley, Art Thiel, etc etc)

hawk45

Reaction score
Because game managers like Johnson and Dilfer could have made the key plays to win the football games in a 10 game stretch without an OL to speak of.