Blitzing Article

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Beautiful.

This is what made me so proud of the SB, it was just our base defense punching Denver in their mouth over and over, and over, and over. No exotic blitz packages, no 10 men in the box, no disguising of schemes...........just us saying "our players are bigger, faster and stronger than your players."

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully we don't drop off any with the departures. It could force us to re-think how we run our defense....or not.. :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":gf8xhek3 said:
Yeah, hopefully we don't drop off any with the departures. It could force us to re-think how we run our defense....or not.. :lol:

We're definitely not as deep on defense as last year. But the good news is last year we had one of the greatest defenses depth and talent wise of all time, so there's a lot of wiggle room to still be a very good defense.

Just means guys like Scruggs, Williams, Irvin, Simon, Lane, Smith, Hill, Shead and whoever we draft need to step up and take advantage of their opportunity.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scary, but we could actually be better. McDonald didn't come on until the last half of the season.

Clemons was recovering from ACL surgery for most of the season. If we play Avril there, we could be better (although he does prefer to rush from the left side).

Maxwell will most likely improve. He's about at the end of his rookie season, per playing time in games. It's also possible that teams will attack our Nickle CB as they won't go at Sherm, and might not go at Maxwell that much either.

Scruggs or another young talent could end up playing better than Red Bryant did.

Bennett will get more snaps. More of him on the field is typically a good thing.

We have tons of young talent. Guys like Irvin and Smith, hell even Wagner could all get better. I think Wright is at his ceiling, but he's still pretty damned good.

We have a deep draft yet to mine, and Pete and John have shown to be adept at drafting. Also, our draft class last year mostly redshirted, so they could improve this year as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm with Hawks46--I think this years' D could be even better!
For all the reasons he said. I think Irvin will make some big plays this year. It will be interesting to see how much LEO he plays.
We'll see if Jesse Williams is healed and able to play. Maybe pick up another KJ Wright or Malcolm Smith play-alike in the draft.

Polk738

Reaction score
I'm actually excited to see if Benson Mayowa starts at all this year, I think this guy is a hidden talent just waiting to breakout much like Christine Micheal- The guy looked great in the preseason last year at getting to the quarterback, hopefully I'm right. My only concern for next season is the run defense-which I felt suffered at times during 2013, obviously it got better as we progressed but now that Big Red is gone hopefully Scruggs can fill those shoes.

hawk45

Reaction score
Pressure with just the front 4 is the golden ticket. Against an offense like Denver's you can blanket the receivers and still get pressure, avoiding getting burned like toast similar to how Wilson burned the Saints like toast at Century Link during the regular season when they tried to bring extra.

Paired with this secondary, that was very effective the year before even without as much pressure, it's just impossible to solve, provided you can do it and still contain the run.

It's what makes San Fran and Carolina so formidable, and I'm thankful neither of those teams have the secondary to make the trap completely escape proof.