NFL rescinds fine on Rafael Bush after appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
So, what do ya' know? Thought y'all might find this interesting.

NFL rescinds $21,000 fine on safety Rafael Bush after appeal

The NFL has rescinded a $21,000 fine against New Orleans Saints safety Rafael Bush after a successful appeal, according to his agent Brian Anderson.

"I just realized it took me 3 months to appeal my last fine yep can I have my 21 back now thank you," Bush tweeted Wednesday night."

Bush was fined for a hit against Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin in their NFC divisional playoff game in January. He was penalized 15 yards for a hit to a defenseless receiver, which caused the Harvin to leave the game to be tested for a concussion.

Harvin returned, but later left again for good after hitting the turf after an incomplete pass.

"Anybody know me knows I play fast and physical but it's all good y'all have a blessed day," Bush tweeted after the game.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
-The Glove-":16bgaj86 said:
Pretty sure he got his 21 back a long time ago :)

I seriously doubt that. No NFL club is going to gamble with a salary cap violation. The league looks closely when dealing with fine payments. It has to come directly from the player and cannot be reimbursed by any third party.

Cartire

Reaction score
So that puts him $71,000 ahead.... :stirthepot:

Cartire

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":yngqb29e said:
-The Glove-":yngqb29e said:

I seriously doubt that. No NFL club is going to gamble with a salary cap violation. The league looks closely when dealing with fine payments. It has to come directly from the player and cannot be reimbursed by any third party.

I don't think you got it....

:229031_confused2:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":37jgu6vm said:
-The Glove-":37jgu6vm said:

Lol it was a bounty joke, Asylum

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
-The Glove-":10nlln52 said:
AsylumGuido":10nlln52 said:
-The Glove-":10nlln52 said:

Considering there were never any bounties, it was a pretty weak attempt.

:roll:

Cartire

Reaction score
On topic: I have a hard time understanding what is findable anymore. The NFL is setting themselves up for another lawsuit in the future when players come back for money that was unjustly taken from them. If fines are getting overturned, it will set up for a bad precedence in the future. What exactly is the parameters for a findable offense? This isn't an quick on-field decision. The fines are assessed after a thorough review by the league. If they got it wrong (supposedly) then wouldn't that justify a loss of credibility?

On Bush: if that's not a fine, then I want 2012 Tate-Lee fine reversed.

Cartire

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1mln1j7m said:
-The Glove-":1mln1j7m said:
AsylumGuido":1mln1j7m said:
-The Glove-":1mln1j7m said:

You do realize there is still an actual recording of Gregg Williams right? The suspensions were overturned because there was never any proof that the players charged ACTUALLY participated. But the actual conversation was proven.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":18e9pp42 said:
-The Glove-":18e9pp42 said:
AsylumGuido":18e9pp42 said:
-The Glove-":18e9pp42 said:

Sure there weren't

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":c9e7xudn said:
-The Glove-":c9e7xudn said:
AsylumGuido":c9e7xudn said:
-The Glove-":c9e7xudn said:

Come on that was funny. I can see it's still a sensitive subject with Saint fans :lol:

formido

Reaction score
Hard to understand why it was taken back. Obviously, someone at the league thought it was worth 21K at one point, a big fine. As far as I know, intent is irrelevant, and there are angles that clearly show Bush's shoulder pad hitting Harvin's helmet. Harvin had to leave the game for concussion protocol, confirming that the shoulder pad to helmet contact was forceful. Maybe Harvin's head dipped a little, but you can be more or less risky with your targeting, and Bush chose to be risky and he ended up hitting Harvin's head.

As proof that players can be less reckless in their tackle targeting:

"Seattle had 188 defensive snaps in the postseason, and zero penalties on defense for unnecessary roughness, late hit on the quarterback, helmet-to-helmet hit on a receiver or any hit on a defenseless player."

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/11/seattle-s ... lean-hits/

The Saints were very close to getting a head target penalty against Tate shortly after that, too. They didn't mind if a little reckless tackling went astray. Personally, I'm all for strict tackling rules and Seattle's players have shown it's possible to play by those strict rules. It's a better product when fewer players are sidelined by avoidable injuries and have longer careers, too.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Cartire":vjxbe3lg said:
You do realize there is still an actual recording of Gregg Williams right? The suspensions were overturned because there was never any proof that the players charged ACTUALLY participated. But the actual conversation was proven.

Let's take this to the NFL Nation board where it belongs and I will enlighten you, friend.

:D

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":21vd7m95 said:
Come on that was funny. I can see it's still a sensitive subject with Saint fans :lol:

Why would it not be sensitive when a full season was ruined due to a false claim from a disgruntled ex-employee. There is absolutely no humor in it at all. Sorry.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":36omt4ow said:
I don't like it. :thfight7:

Apparently an ex-player felt it was not worthy of a fine. All player's appeals for in game fines are heard by retired Ravens center Matt Birk former NFL player and coach Ted Cottrell.

mikeak

Reaction score
There were most definately a system where players put in money and then got payouts for hits.

Is that the bounty system they were accused off etc or not that is a different matter

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'll stick to my first thought on the hit as it occurred. With ANY team, when they know an opposing player is returning to the lineup from injury, they are going to TEST him, and not in the easy way. They are going to hit him hard because a player at less than 100% is easier to slow him down the rest of the game from a hard hit than a player who's at full strength.

So, it's not like the Saints we're trying to injure Harvin, but there was an incentive to play more aggressive with Harvin, if that makes sense. (I don't mean money incentives!)

FWIW, I think Seattle would have done the same thing, whether that's dial up more blitzes on a hobbled RG3 to test him or smack a Jason Witten recovering from an injured spleen.

Status
Not open for further replies.