Richard Sherman: Punt Returner (per Seahawks.com)

bbsplitter

Reaction score
They still have RS listed as starting punt returner(via Tate's departure)... http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html . I highly doubt they will have our star CB back there returning punts? At least I would think... but who in the draft would they trust from the get go year one to return? Who on the roster currently?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love to see Sherman returning punts.

Seriously, imagine if he picks off a QB and returns it for a TD, then we force their offense to go 3-and-out, and on the ensuing punt he returns it to the house for another TD? I wonder if there has ever been a player to return an interception or a fumble for a TD as well as a punt or kick return for a TD in a single game before?

I would die laughing. "Don't you EVER try me with a sorry punter like <name>!"

Cartire

Reaction score
Sherman is fast, but his acceleration and quick cuts leave a lot to be desired.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2rgajhot said:
I would die laughing. "Don't you EVER try me with a sorry punter like <name>!"

HA! That really would be one of the funniest Seahawks quotes if it were to go down. I'm not sure Sherman would go out of his way to go after a punter though, haha. Then again, he is the master of the mind game.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Sherman just doesn't seem that... shifty to me. Interesting graph BTW I imagined it being a lot higher risk.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3119qizg said:
Largent80":3119qizg said:
NO I don't need an injured Sherm.
Returning punts is not a risky business.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09 ... educe.html

Injuryratebyyear

I don't worry about the play itself, i worry about an opposing player taking a cheap shot because it's Sherman.

Granted it's a similar risk when he makes an interception, but the other team doesn't have a chance to react to who caught the ball. The offensive players are not as used to tackling as special teamers are.
On punts they then have the benefit of knowing that Sherman would specifically be the one to return the ball.

If someone on the team is to return punts, i probably would go with Baldwin or Lane. I think it will eventually be somone we draft.

WR and CB needs a bit of sorting out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JMR":eu98gasm said:
It's still going to increase his risk of injury because that's more plays he's going to be involved in than he would have otherwise.
Yeah, it's called "playing football". He was on the field for 1,194 snaps for the 2013 season, playoffs included. You're talking about adding what, 4-5 per game? I just did the math, last season the average NFL team punted 78.4375 times for the entire season, total. Sherman's season-long snaps would increase by approximately 4.9 per game. Not much.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9sya51el said:
JMR":9sya51el said:
It's still going to increase his risk of injury because that's more plays he's going to be involved in than he would have otherwise.
Yeah, it's called "playing football". He was on the field for 1,194 snaps for the 2013 season, playoffs included. You're talking about adding what, 4-5 per game? I just did the math, last season the average NFL team punted 78.4375 times for the entire season, total. Sherman's season-long snaps would increase by approximately 4.9 per game. Not much.

I would wonder about his stamina after playing a long series and then having to return a punt on 4th down.

themunn

Reaction score

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I can hear already... "he kicked it past the end zone, it's a waste of my time out here.. waste of my time"!!

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Deion Sanders anyone? Probably the greatest corner ever returned punts most of his career. That aside, I don't think it's really necessary to have Sherman back there.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Basis4day":rby1iq62 said:
I don't worry about the play itself, i worry about an opposing player taking a cheap shot because it's Sherman.

Granted it's a similar risk when he makes an interception, but the other team doesn't have a chance to react to who caught the ball. The offensive players are not as used to tackling as special teamers are.
On punts they then have the benefit of knowing that Sherman would specifically be the one to return the ball.

If someone on the team is to return punts, i probably would go with Baldwin or Lane. I think it will eventually be somone we draft.

WR and CB needs a bit of sorting out.
I know that Sherman is a more polarizing figure, but just in terms of importance to the team, Peterson is right there with him for Arizona, and nothing's happened to him returning punts for three years now.

Escamillo

Reaction score
bbsplitter":222r3n8g said:
They still have RS listed as starting punt returner(via Tate's departure)... http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html . I highly doubt they will have our star CB back there returning punts? At least I would think... but who in the draft would they trust from the get go year one to return? Who on the roster currently?

Kenny Easely was the Seahawks punt returner in 1984 and part of 1985. So there's precedent for a star player in the secondary returning punts. Now that I think of it, Mel Blount was the Steelers punt returner in 1975 and 1976.

Teams that take special teams seriously aren't afraid to put their best players out there on special teams. Teams that don't take it seriously and put scrubs out there pay the price by giving up big plays.