Why do I love .NET? The friends I've made!

RockHawk

Reaction score
I've met a lot of great people from .NET, and some have become very good friends, but today may be one of the most memorable. I was given a once in a lifetime opportunity by our very own FlyingGreg to not only finally meet him in person, but to get a private tour of his office, the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. Greg happens to be the CMC (Commanding Master Chief) which basically means he's top dog, second only to the CO, and it was perfectly clear when he pulled our vehicle up literally next to the loading ramp of the aircraft carrier.

It would have been amazing to just get to see the the generally accessible areas where any sailor has access including the hangars, flight deck, and mess hall but it's unbelievable that since we were with the CMC, he took us to areas like the bridge, the Captain & Admirals' viewing areas, flight control, the hydraulics under the flight deck, and the anchor chain room. I don't take lightly how amazing it was to be able to see these things as a civilian.

What an amazing experience for me and my family, and it never would have happened if it wasn't for our shared love of the Seahawks, and our community of amazing people here at .NET. Times like today made it worth all the blood, sweat, tears and money I've put into this place.

A huge thanks goes to Greg for taking time out of his personal days (on the most beautiful day of the year) to do this for us. Go Hawks!!

Attachments

• ship1.jpg
    ship1.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,755
  • markgreg.jpg
    markgreg.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • ship3.jpg
    ship3.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • ship2.jpg
    ship2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,755
Reaction score
RockHawk":25bj5gfs said:
I've met a lot of great people from .NET, and some have become very good friends, but today may be one of the most memorable. I was given a once in a lifetime opportunity by our very own FlyingGreg to not only finally meet him in person, but to get a private tour of his office, the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. Greg happens to be the CMC (Commanding Master Chief) which basically means he's top dog, second only to the CO, and it was perfectly clear when he pulled our vehicle up literally next to the loading ramp of the aircraft carrier.

It would have been amazing to just get to see the the generally accessible areas where any sailor has access including the hangars, flight deck, and mess hall but it's unbelievable that since we were with the CMC, he took us to areas like the bridge, the Captain & Admirals' viewing areas, flight control, the hydraulics under the flight deck, and the anchor chain room. I don't take lightly how amazing it was to be able to see these things as a civilian.

What an amazing experience for me and my family, and it never would have happened if it wasn't for our shared love of the Seahawks, and our community of amazing people here at .NET. Times like today made it worth all the blood, sweat, tears and money I've put into this place.

A huge thanks goes to Greg for taking time out of his personal days (on the most beautiful day of the year) to do this for us. Go Hawks!!
Pretty damn cool my brother just got sent off to the USS Nimitz this morning!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So cool!

I can't get over how .NET has reached beyond any wild imaginations I could have ever had for the site. What a great example of how .NET is so much more than a football fan site but a true community that extends far beyond the walls of football chatter.

PS...Greg is that tall or you're that short. ;)

samwize77

Reaction score
Thats completely awesome! For both of you guys!!
Shall we have a "Take a fellow .Netter to work day"?....lol. If so....I'd love to go to Robs (largent80) place of employment. Enjoy a few cold ones and some great music! Who could beat that? Sac, I can only imagine what deep dark chamber you spend your days in! And I don't think I want to.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Back in 1983 I was in Nevada doing work there and my brother was in Long Beach. He was on the New Jersey BB-62.
I was able to get a mini tour of it when I took a car to him and there were areas that I could not go into although I
probably knew more about what they were doing in that location then my brother did. BB-62 is in the bay near
New Jersey from what a friend of mine living in the area said. I saw the Midway Task Force in the bay near
Subic City Philippines in 1984 or 85. I for some reason cant remember the year ( :p ). Rock, you got a treat and a
half from Greg. (Flying Greg....Hand Salute.)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Rock. Must have been a sight. Was fortunate enough to tour a Boomer up at Bangor when I was 17. Unbelievable.

Greg, thanks for your service. Nobody messes with a Master Chief in the Navy, or so I hear.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Aros":xzk0vec4 said:

The wife & I had the over/under at 4 posts before someone says this. I'm shocked it made it 6, so way to control yourselves (and screw off Todd!!!) :)

And fwiw, I'm less than an inch under Russell Wilson height, it just so happens that I only post photos on .NET standing next to really big, tall guys like Greg, Hawkstorian, and Walter Jones. Good thing I'm not self conscious (much!).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RockHawk":59au6t5n said:
Aros":59au6t5n said:

The wife & I had the over/under at 4 posts before someone says this. I'm shocked it made it 6, so way to control yourselves (and screw off Todd!!!) :)

And fwiw, I'm less than an inch under Russell Wilson height, it just so happens that I only post photos on .NET standing next to really big, tall guys like Greg, Hawkstorian, and Walter Jones. Good thing I'm not self conscious (much!).

That's okay, I would have come up to his knees or so.

The Radish

Reaction score
What a great trip that was, I'm envious.

Trust me, Mark is tall where it counts. How about he drives to Spokane to watch a Monday night game with Spokane's .net people. That's the second time he's done that I know of.

When Greg told me they were going to be aboard I couldn't help but say Mark and Alisha are the greatest!

Thanks Greg and Mark for all you do for us.

:th2thumbs: