JR Sweezy

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Wilson said he seriously thought Sweezy would be a Hall of Famer. He also said that he knew that players around the league think hes one of the better Guards. What are your thoughts on this? Wilson said these things completely serious so it makes you think of what he thinks of Sweezy

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
OL, in general, are scapegoats for every fan base. I have never fully understood the Sweazy disdain. He is an elite athlete for the position and is already a good player. I expect a major jump next year into the top tier of OGs. It's amazing to me how good he is despite never having played OL. It really is astounding.

HOF?...eh, maybe want to pump the brakes and yank the E-brake on that one. He's a good player on a cheap contract that required very little draft capital. Hard to beat that in regards to value. He should be a mainstay for quite some time.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything to get mad at with sweez. His strength is as a run blocker, but his pass pro isn't awful and has improved over time. He took the starting job in a competition. What's not to like?

But yeah. .. I'm not placing any bets on hof quite yet.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Wilson is good at motivating the players around him, and to me it seems as though he was just trying to show his appreciation for what Sweezy has been able to do since winning the starting gig. Wilson relies on Sweezy to protect him, so why not let him believe he's playing at an unreal level? If JR believes he's playing at an elevated level in his mind, it will translate onto the field.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1qt162sc said:
It's amazing to me how good he is despite never having played OL. It really is astounding.
I totally agree! He had no HS or College experience and STARTED his first year at OL ever in the NFL. Are you kidding me? He is just going to get better and better by leaps and bounds. Watch.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":sg52epud said:
Mtjhoyas":sg52epud said:
It's amazing to me how good he is despite never having played OL. It really is astounding.
I totally agree! He had no HS or College experience and STARTED his first year at OL ever in the NFL. Are you kidding me? He is just going to get better and better by leaps and bounds. Watch.

Which is why O'Brien left NC State since he couldn't spot talent when it was staring him in the face...........

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think we'll continue to see improvement. HOF...........well, I have my doubts but considering he was a good enough athlete to switch from defense to guard at the NFL level, who knows? Russ could use that level of play in front of him, that's for sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":205qjs90 said:
Wilson said he seriously thought Sweezy would be a Hall of Famer. He also said that he knew that players around the league think hes one of the better Guards. What are your thoughts on this? Wilson said these things completely serious so it makes you think of what he thinks of Sweezy
Well Wilson is ever the positive one. I have nothing against Sweezy I think he's pretty good and will do nothing but improve, but lets just wait and see about the Hall of Fame.... 8)

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sweezy has reportedly put on 20 pounds this off-season.

534c292290685image

On the Seahawks’ official roster, Sweezy is listed at 6-foot-five and 298 pounds. In person, he looks every bit as tall but, courtesy of some added muscle gained during a rigorous five-week training program followed in Florida earlier this year, he has added nearly another 20 pounds to his towering frame.

“I love it,’’ smiled Sweezy, of the near never-ending body building off-season routine required to keep him in playing shape."At this level, you just have to. It’s more like a job, but you have to stay in shape. I haven’t really had time to let all that has happened really sink it.”

http://www.mooresvilletribune.com/sport ... f6878.html

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
20 pounds in 5 weeks?

Totally natural and all muscle, I'm sure....

AVL

Reaction score
Russell probably said that at their alma mater Saturday, when Wilson's number was retired at the spring game, which I find humorous.

The starting quarterback missing spring trainings led to events propelling Russel's football career. I went from being furious that he was removed to ecstatic that he got in with a good team that needed him. Rinse, repeat with the Hawks and here we are.

When RW exaggerates it's always in a positive way.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Anguish":15qeujrt said:
AbsolutNET":15qeujrt said:
20 pounds in 5 weeks?

Protein powder and creatine...

20 pounds in 5 weeks is easy. 20 pounds of muscle in 5 weeks is not. If you were to eat higher calorie meals(burger and fries, pasta, etc) and maybe throw in some snacks(have you ever seen how many calories are in ice cream?), you could do it without too much extra effort.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1istpizs said:
20 pounds in 5 weeks?

Lol. Im also a huge NBA fan and every summer you hear about a couple guys on every team adding the old 10-15 pounds.

bigcc

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1nhcp0fs said:
Anguish":1nhcp0fs said:
AbsolutNET":1nhcp0fs said:
20 pounds in 5 weeks?

Protein powder and creatine...

20 pounds in 5 weeks is easy. 20 pounds of muscle in 5 weeks is not. If you were to eat higher calorie meals(burger and fries, pasta, etc) and maybe throw in some snacks(have you ever seen how many calories are in ice cream?), you could do it without too much extra effort.

lol maybe if he was laying down on a couch the 5 weeks, a "vigorous" workout program and adding 4 lbs a week is insane, and it'd be harder for him to gain weight at 298 lbs.........

EDIT: As for his performance, he's been "meh".... willing to give a pass due to no prior experience but this is the year I'm expecting a huge jump forward, especially if Unger stays healthy.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sweezy allowed 1 sack in over 900 snaps last year. Can't remember the exact number of snaps, but we already knew his best asset is his run blocking. He's more than athletic enough at getting to the second level and Brian Baldinger at NFLN said he was one of the best in the league at getting people on the ground.

Sweezy already is one of the better gaurds in the league. The longer he plays the more consistent he'll get.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Y'all would be surprised how quickly someone can put on weight when that's basically your life. Not to mention, he's obviously got the genes to be able to get that big. The real trick is being able to bulk up without losing athleticism.

I trained at API one summer (college baseball). I was on the low-level Amateur plan and literally transformed my body in 6 weeks (not to mentioned drop tenths of a second off my 60 time). This is the same place that trains guys for the Combine. They do every sort of test you can imagine. After each workout (2 workouts per day, speed training, strength training) they gave each of us personalized recovery shakes. Everyone had different amounts of protein, simple carbs, complex carbs, fatty acids, Amino Acids, you name it, that was specifically tailored for our needs, not only based on our body composition, but the type of workout we did.

20 lbs (mostly good weight) in 5 weeks for a guy like Sweazy might seem like a lot, but don't forget the resources/time these guys have. Again, when your singular focus is on training/nutrition, it's a lot easier to accomplish these types of things. Not to mention, the grind of an NFL season can make one lose a lot of good muscle mass. Combine that with taking some time off after the Super Bowl to let the body heal, and it's pretty easy to see how a guy like him good make a big change like that. And to beat a dead horse, the genes to do so helps.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm excited to watch Sweezy's continued development. On the other hand, I'm a little down on Carpenter right now. Last season, he was one of the worst run blockers in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing Bailey or Bowie take over for him as the starter.

If Unger is healthy again for most of the season, as he was in 2012, that should benefit Sweezy. I like the possibility of an Unger/Sweezy/Bowie run-blocking combo on the right side of the line.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":33pr2mi0 said:
I'm excited to watch Sweezy's continued development. On the other hand, I'm a little down on Carpenter right now. Last season, he was one of the worst run blockers in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing Bailey or Bowie take over for him as the starter.

If Unger is healthy again for most of the season, as he was in 2012, that should benefit Sweezy. I like the possibility of an Unger/Sweezy/Bowie run-blocking combo on the right side of the line.
If Carp could drop about 25-30 pounds he'd be better in pass pro to go along with that massive mauling run blocking he does. We'll bring in depth and competition this year, but it's not a foregone conclusion we draft really high. I think Bailey plays a part in what's going to happen as well. He's uber talented with the big knock on him being that he's only 6'3, which can go out the window, IMO.

jblaze

Reaction score
Via twitter today they said Bowie is up to 330, Bailey at 320, Sweezy up to 320 and Carp down to 320 so they've very happy with where they're at.

Also consider this, it's common for linemen to lose weight during the season because they cannot lift as hard during game weeks as they do in the offseason. Regarding putting on 20 pds, a lot of guys are on regimented NFL diets which allow you the best nutrition based on the goal which in this case is bulking up. It is certainly possible, especially given the less cardio they do in the early offseason.

Sweezy specifically has spent the last 5 weeks in Florida on a rigorous workout regime. Read below:

http://www.mooresvilletribune.com/sport ... f6878.html