Russell Wilson, game manager

kidhawk

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how quickly a guy can go from considered underrated to being considered overrated?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL...That's funny right there. (And so, so true).

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I refuse to believe the term "game manager" is actually some kind of insult. Even the greatest QBs need to manage the game. It's part of the basic job description.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'd take a game manager versus a choke artist (Romo and CK).

chris98251

Reaction score
QB's are paid to Manage games, they are suppose to mange to win most of them somehow some way, Wilson as stated managed to win a Super Bowl, Manged to have one if the highest QB ratings in history, managed to shut up and make every expert look like Beavis and Butthead.

Wilson manages quite a few things well, he has also managed to not be associated with criminal activity, losing franchises and bad front offices that chose other QB's before him thus manageing to make most the other GM's have Egg on their faces.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
sutz":1bdyfb1v said:
Well, I refuse to believe the term "game manager" is actually some kind of insult. Even the greatest QBs need to manage the game. It's part of the basic job description.

The way it's used it implies that the QB is not a play-maker. Russell Wilson is definitely a play-maker.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":249c5dle said:
That be a fact, you cannot win with without having the skills to manage/win big games, consistently.
What does that say about Peyton Manning's management skills, when all he could muster up is EIGHT points in the BIGGEST game of the Year?
He did have the ->HISTORIC #1 OFFENSE<-, and with that once in a lifetime #1 OFFENSE at his disposal, he couldn't MANAGE to get beyond the 8 point barrier?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
People are just plain stupid and will believe in what they want despite the facts, especially from talking heads.

Honestly, in my book haters can call Wilson " a game manager" all they want, its actually a back-handed compliment for a 2nd year PRO just because he's 5'11 or something.

Seahawks fans will take the:

28 wins against only 9 losses.
4-1 post-season record
Super Bowl Champ

52 TDs to only 19 INTs

With more than half the INTs coming from last minute hail marys or bobbled passes rather than just poorly thrown passes.

Seahawks will take his 6475 passing yards but understand that he adds another 1028 to the table from rushing... so he's worth about 7500 yards from scrimmage. 3750 yards.

Per snap, Russell Wilson is one of the most productive players in the game. Its not his fault that he has a great defense and reliable running game... so he doesn't need to pad his stats in the 4th QTR... yet he still is probably among the top QBs in the last 2 years in 4th Comebacks and Game Winning Drives.

And anybody who has watched a Seahawks games knows 2/3rds of the Seahawks losses, Russell Wilson has led the offense to a lead or tie only for our vaunted defense to crumble at the last minute.

And anybody who has watched Seahawks games knows when the running game doesn't get going more often that not its Wilson who carries the team.

And its hilarious guys like Clayton look down on Wilson because he hasn't broke the 4000 yard passing barrier. From Russell Wilson's pass yard per game in 2013, he'd only have to pass for a mere 41 yards per game. Sorry haters, but if holding the lead at halftime, there isn't going to much emphasis to light up scoreboard but run out the clock and continue to make your defense accountable to hold leads.

Because in the end while fantasy football is sexy and you want production and stats, ball control and defense wins football games, winning football games takes you Championships.

We'll take an overrated Wilson any day and know he's be absolutely more phenomenal than 99% of the leagues QBs who have started in their first two seasons.

He'll continue to grow and flourish and be a 4000+/40+ if he needs to be.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
If he keeps managing us to Wins and Super Bowls then I don't care what people label him as.

theascension

Reaction score
I'm just most impressed by his ability to deal with and conceal clear injury. He threw many errant passes most notably in the Arizona game but made just enough plays to get us to the Superbowl and even look amazing in the Superbowl aside from a single pass. Having to take the other side of a water jug was a sign that shoulder was pretty badly injured since Tampa.

Escamillo

Reaction score
sutz":zvsnxwro said:

A few years ago it wasn't necessarily an insult, but over time, "game manager" has morphed to mean "nothing more than a game manager", which is an insult.
It's a slam meant to equate a QB with Trent Dilfer.

By the way, here's a Hall of Fame game manager's Super Bowl stats: (see if you can guess who it is)
1st Super Bowl Win: 8 completions out of 11 attempts for 88 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT
2nd Super Bowl win: 6 completions out of 7 attempts for 73 yards, 0 TD, and 0 INT

It's none other than Bob Griese

253hawk

Reaction score
Last I checked, football was a team sport and I'd rather have a QB that takes care of the ball as opposed to one that gun-slings it and gets 3 or 4 TD's and 2 or 3 INT's per game. Luck threw almost as many picks in two playoff games (7) than he and Wilson did all season (both had 9,) and Wilson didn't throw a single one in three playoff games. His last one was in the loss to the Cards. I don't recall anyone calling Rapistburger a game manager when he was piling up wins behind a great defense and won a SB in his second season, and his stats pale in comparison over those two years.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I was having a blog disagreement with a guy about this, said ne never saw a Hawks game but a guy under 6 foot cannot be anything but a game manager. That pretty much tells you how some think.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Anthony!":zillwrzx said:
I was having a blog disagreement with a guy about this, said ne never saw a Hawks game but a guy under 6 foot cannot be anything but a game manager. That pretty much tells you how some think.

Doug Flutie poisoned the well for sub-6' QBs. :(

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually he didn't, Pat Haden did, Height: 5 ft 11 in Weight: 182 lb

Career NFL statistics as of 1981
Pass attempts 1,363
Pass completions 731
Percentage 53.6
TD-INT 52-60
Passing Yards 9,296
QB Rating 69.6

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is like the pitcher who has an awesome WHIP (hugely underrated stat) & ERA and will give you a quality start 9/10 times. The only problem is, he doesn't lead the league in Strikeouts, so he's "lucky" even though he doesn't walk anybody, is a groundball pitcher, and maintains a low pitch count. At least that's how people not in Seattle view him. This rationale is truly one of the dumber things in the entire world.

That's fine. He may never bring home an MVP award, but I'll settle for a few more Superb Owls as a consolation prize.

theascension

Reaction score
Meanwhile over in the colts forums they often are drinking the kool-aid saying Luck is the best QB in the league and that he did everything with 0 talent.
Yeah sure.. throwing a pick 6 on the 3rd play of the game in the playoffs against a poor defense makes you the best QB in the league.