My top 10 plays from 2013-2014 Season

RockHawk

Reaction score
Here's my top 10 list of my favorite individual plays that were the most memorable for me personally. Feel free to create your own list or disagree with mine!

10 - Lockette de-cleats the PR on punt coverage at home against the Rams

9 - Lynch 43 yard beast mode run against Texans

8 - Baldwin clutch 1st down catch with 3:00 left in Saints playoff game

7 - Chancellor trucks the RT and tackles the RB for loss @ Cardinals

6 - Harvin KR for TD in SB

5 - Flea flicker TD / Tate 1 handed TD catch @ Falcons (tie)

4 - Sherm "The Tip"

3 - Tate kickoff return against Bucs

2 - 4th & 7 TD play vs 49ers in the NFC Championship

1 - Lynch "walk into the endzone" against 49ers
[youtube]hGEDYG0sWeI[/youtube]

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's "The Tip".

The original "Immaculate Reception" was so named because of the miraculous nature of the catch. So much luck was involved. There was nothing miraculous about Sherman's tip. It was pure athleticism. Sherman had made almost the exact same play earlier in the season with ET making the catch. Tipped ints have become a staple of the LOB.

"The Catch", meanwhile, was a famous play by the Niners during their glory days. One poster even photoshopped "The Catch" onto "The Tip" and it's almost not noticable because Crabtree was in an almost identical pose.

That's why it's called "The Tip", not the "Immaculate Deflection".

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3bi0ylnh said:
It's "The Tip".

The original "Immaculate Reception" was so named because of the miraculous nature of the catch. So much luck was involved. There was nothing miraculous about Sherman's tip. It was pure athleticism. Sherman had made almost the exact same play earlier in the season with ET making the catch. Tipped ints have become a staple of the LOB.

"The Catch", meanwhile, was a famous play by the Niners during their glory days. One poster even photoshopped "The Catch" onto "The Tip" and it's almost not noticable because Crabtree was in an almost identical pose.

Fixed it for ya.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RockHawk":wxdhyh7t said:
SalishHawkFan":wxdhyh7t said:
It's "The Tip".

Fixed it for ya.
You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! :th2thumbs:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Not a bad list.

Kearse's TD was one of the most impressive plays in Super Bowl history. Kinda thing that shows up in grainy footage 50 years later; breaks like 5 tackles from 20 yards out for a walk in TD. Amazing.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RockHawk":27y9jd08 said:
9 - Lynch 43 yard beast mode run against Texans

This was the best run of the season though. One of the TD runs in the playoffs might out rank it in a "top plays" scenario but just as far as best runs go this was it. Maybe Shawn's best run as a Hawk besides the Beast Quake.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure how my top 10 for the season goes but I feel like Dougie's toe tapper to spark the 4th qtr comeback against the Texans has to be one of them.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Great comments so far, and again I want to point out this this isn't intended to be a list of "most important" plays or plays that had the most on the line. This was simply a list of the plays that were the most memorable for me this year in one fashion or another.

Great call on the Sherm pic 6 and Baldwin toe tap against the Texans, that game was full of late game memorable moments. I think one of the takeaways I have in looking at my own list is that I tend to love the not-so-obvious ones that the casual fan wouldn't know about (i.e. the Chancellor & special teams plays).

Perfundle

Reaction score
I haven't had an opportunity to talk up this play, so this is as good a place as any.

You will remember the play as the one where Mebane took down a screen play from behind in the Super Bowl. But on repeated viewing some pretty fascinating details emerged. Seattle's defense had to overcome no less than 3 separate uncalled penalties on the play, and pretty much every defender was assignment-perfect. The play can be seen at the 0:47 mark here. Here is another view of the play from a different angle.

As Manning releases the ball, two linemen are clearly ineligibly downfield blocking no one, with one of them a whopping four yards downfield:

Vlcsnap 2014 04 19 19h08m33s198

Then, as Smith tries to make the tackle, #74 holds him from behind with his right hand while pushing him with his left.

Now we get to the Seattle players. Mebane was able to make the tackle because Smith slowed Tamme down enough that he could catch up. Further downfield, you can see from the gif that Chancellor adroitly avoids one of the ineligible linemen and is position to make a clean-up tackle. Then you have #54 Wagner, who's responsible for Moreno. He starts out mirroring his movements, then goes toward the screen play, but then reverts to covering Moreno just in case it was a fake screen.

If future generations want to know how Seattle's defense was so good, I'd show them that gif. There were certainly more spectacular individual plays throughout the year, but for sheer assignment-sureness, it doesn't get better than that play.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Perfundle":2oxiuxjz said:
I haven't had an opportunity to talk up this play, so this is as good a place as any.

You will remember the play as the one where Mebane took down a screen play from behind in the Super Bowl. But on repeated viewing some pretty fascinating details emerged. Seattle's defense had to overcome no less than 3 separate uncalled penalties on the play, and pretty much every defender was assignment-perfect. The play can be seen at the 0:47 mark here. Here is another view of the play from a different angle.

As Manning releases the ball, two linemen are clearly ineligibly downfield blocking no one, with one of them a whopping four yards downfield:

Vlcsnap 2014 04 19 19h08m33s198

Then, as Smith tries to make the Tackle, #74 holds him from behind with his right hand while pushing him with his left.

Now we get to the Seattle players. Mebane was able to make the tackle because Smith slowed Tamme down enough that he could catch up. Further downfield, you can see from the gif that Chancellor adroitly avoids one of the ineligible linemen and is position to make a clean-up tackle. Then you have #54 Wagner, who's responsible for Moreno. He starts out mirroring his movements, then goes toward the screen play, but then reverts to covering Moreno just in case it was a fake screen.

If future generations want to know how Seattle's defense was so good, I'd show them that gif. There were certainly more spectacular individual plays throughout the year, but for sheer assignment-sureness, it doesn't get better than that play.

Great post!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
10 plays out of like 2000 possible snaps is just too hard. So you should do a top 20 list.

To name a few other awesome plays:

Bobby Wagner self-volley interception vs Jags.

Wilson to Rice running back foot throw for a TD.

Avril to Bennett pick 6 vs Saints.

The Kellen Davis to Coleman TD vs Saints.

Goal Line Stand vs Rams (as a series of plays for one epic stand-off)

The aforementioned Sherman to Thomas tip.

Then afterwards we can create a new thread a discuss football follies... that would be a good one...#1 is definately between Robert Turbin's self fumble vs ARI2?; the tangling of the Hydra with Sherman, Thomas, and Maxwelll getting mixed up, or Maxwell-Thomas bobble into Meacham 50 yard catch.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can anyone find a video of the sack McDaniel had vs Arizona?

10. Lynch knocking Dockett's helmet off
9. Tipped INT where Wagner dove for it
8. Sherm's pick 6 vs Houston
7. Russell Wilson razzle dazzle spin move TD pass
6. Kearse TD in Super Bowl
5. Lynch run vs Houston
4. Lynch walking into end zone
3. Kearse catch vs 49ers in NFCCG
2. Percy's KR in Super Bowl
1. The Tip (greatest play in team history IMO)

That's mine

There's so many great plays that happened this last season, like the Bennett fumble return for a TD vs the saints that I left off, a top 10 list just doesn't do justice.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":cydrt0hx said:
..........Then afterwards we can create a new thread a discuss football follies... that would be a good one...#1 is definately between Robert Turbin's self fumble vs ARI2?; the tangling of the Hydra with Sherman, Thomas, and Maxwelll getting mixed up, or Maxwell-Thomas bobble into Meacham 50 yard catch.
What about Maragos fumbling the FG attempt that turned into a TD for the Titans at the end of the first half?

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1tbzwsh0 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1tbzwsh0 said:
..........Then afterwards we can create a new thread a discuss football follies... that would be a good one...#1 is definately between Robert Turbin's self fumble vs ARI2?; the tangling of the Hydra with Sherman, Thomas, and Maxwelll getting mixed up, or Maxwell-Thomas bobble into Meacham 50 yard catch.
What about Maragos fumbling the FG attempt that turned into a TD for the Titans at the end of the first half?

#1 on that list would have to be Lynch flipping the bird to the coaching staff @AZ, right?

Captain

Reaction score
I cringe a little every time i see this play. They get away with 4, maybe 5 block in the backs its seems like haha

[youtube]9CJo-Pfxi6E[/youtube]