DeShawn Shead at FS

hawknation2014

Reaction score
What do you think about Shead as the backup FS this year? He was promoted to the active roster toward the end of the season and played in the last eight games, mostly on special teams.

I recall Shead had this nice INT in the preseason: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... f-Osweiler

He has good size (6'2, 220) and athleticism (4.53 40, 38-inch vertical jump, 10-1 broad, 24 bench reps and 6.76 three-cone), but lacks experience at safety.

sutz

Reaction score
He is one of many young guys we have waiting in the wings for their chance. Like you said, good size and measurables. The question is: How good can our coaches make him be?

Pete knows his secondary players, and Richard seems to be no slouch when it comes to teaching the guys.

Could be.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Shead's 3-cone time is insane for player his size. Any sub-7 second 3-cone time is incredible. Early Thomas had a 6.92 3-cone at his pro day. Richard Sherman had an amazing 6.82. 6.76 at 220 lbs? Ridiculous. Dude can turn a corner.

[youtube]DDeFIXvvBtg[/youtube]

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
LOL... lacks experience... DeShawn Shead's position in college was in fact Free Safety.

Which is almost ironic because Shead was a FS moved to CB in the NFL.

And I'm pretty sure Maragos was a collegiate CB moved to FS in the NFL.

Shead is probably our most athletic DB pound for pound, he's also as strong as Kam, if not stronger.

It wouldn't surprise me if they held onto Johnson, so they could move Shead over, he's not as quick as Maragos' 6.53 3-Cone (at 202 pounds) but a 6.76 3-Cone at 220 pounds is pretty capable if not out standing for his size.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2unlzuds said:
LOL... lacks experience... DeShawn Shead's position in college was in fact Free Safety.

Which is almost ironic because Shead was a FS moved to CB in the NFL.

And I'm pretty sure Maragos was a collegiate CB moved to FS in the NFL.

Shead is probably our most athletic DB pound for pound, he's also as strong as Kam, if not stronger.

It wouldn't surprise me if they held onto Johnson, so they could move Shead over, he's not as quick as Maragos' 6.53 3-Cone (at 202 pounds) but a 6.76 3-Cone at 220 pounds is pretty capable if not out standing for his size.

That's not quite right. Shead started exclusively at CB at Portland State during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. And in 2010, Shead played "safety on occasion late in the season, starting the last two games at that position." In 2011, he played both SS and nickel CB. http://www.goviks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=538

Shead has little to no game experience at FS in the NFL, which is what I was referring to. I agree he is one of the better athletes on the roster.

drdiags

Reaction score
He probably will be a fine back-up with hopefully very little game action. He sure was having some brief Terrell Berria (make that Etric Pruitt) in the Superbowl when Kam went out. He was getting redirected by the DBs it seemed on each play until Kam came back in. Manning didn't get to attack him and it could be that he was assignment correct or the pash rush was all over Peyton. Either way, he didn't have a big gaffe in the game. So he has that going for him, which is good.

Him along with the younger DBs from the PS and rookie draft last year are unknowns to me, but I figure if they hit the field they are ready to make a mark.

EDIT: Make that Etric Pruitt. Berria got ran off after the 2004 season.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
I went to high school with DeShawn's HS football coach. Coach raved to me about his smarts, work ethic and commitment to his craft. He's highly coachable and well disciplined... makes it easy to root for him!

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Shead was always the first one out at camp last year getting in extra work with the coaches. He also ran extra bonus drills and coaching afterwards. +1 on his work ethic.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I don't see Shead as a FS in our defense, I see SS as his best position, where he finished last season after Jeron Johnson went on I.R. He certainly has the size, length, strength and physicality for SS, and would be an ideal backup for Kam, and core special teams guy. In our 'triangle' coverage scheme, the FS has to be able to cover the entire span of the field as the deep high-point safety, preventing any of the WR's from taking the top off of the defense. Physically, that requires elite burst, speed and range (not to mention a very high football IQ)....all of which Earl Thomas possesses, thus making him an ideal fit and elite player in that role. Shead is certainly an athletic player for his size, but he does not possess elite speed, range or acceleration. He's a bit high-cut, and thickly built....physically he's best suited playing in shorter areas and closer to the LOS. As such, the way the SS is deployed in our scheme (ostensibly as a 4th LB in zone coverage) is a natural fit for Shead from both a physical and football standpoint. The Hawks almost surely need to address the backup FS role on the draft's third day next month.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1afpmuop said:
I don't see Shead as a FS in our defense, I see SS as his best position, where he finished last season after Jeron Johnson went on I.R. He certainly has the size, length, strength and physicality for SS, and would be an ideal backup for Kam, and core special teams guy. In our 'triangle' coverage scheme, the FS has to be able to cover the entire span of the field as the deep high-point safety, preventing any of the WR's from taking the top off of the defense. Physically, that requires elite burst, speed and range (not to mention a very high football IQ)....all of which Earl Thomas possesses, thus making him an ideal fit and elite player in that role. Shead is certainly an athletic player for his size, but he does not possess elite speed, range or acceleration. He's a bit high-cut, and thickly built....physically he's best suited playing in shorter areas and closer to the LOS. As such, the way the SS is deployed in our scheme (ostensibly as a 4th LB in zone coverage) is a natural fit for Shead from both a physical and football standpoint. The Hawks almost surely need to address the backup FS role on the draft's third day next month.

Seahawks will have a hard time finding a backup FS better than Shead on the draft's third day.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3mtpmqxh said:
NorthDallas40oz":3mtpmqxh said:

Seahawks will have a hard time finding a backup FS better than Shead on the draft's third day.
For 2014, I agree. But they need to address the position regardless, as they simply lack the bodies on the roster right now (no other true FS's on the roster beyond Earl Thomas), and the Hawks have proven to be astute talent identifiers in the secondary beyond the draft's first two days.