Wilson has great touch (Kaep related)

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I've been watching the highlights of last season and I think what really stands out to me is the touch Wilson puts on his passes. It is on an incredible level that he does this. The off-balanace, one foot on the ground comeback he throws to Kearse against Atlanta and the over the head bomb to Baldwin against New Orleans are two of the many that come to mind.

I hate to talk about a niner but I see this being a big difference between Wilson and Kaepernick. Kaepernick has very poor touch on his throws and that problem has lost him a Super Bowl and a Conference Championship. I say that because those endzone throws to Crabtree that he has thrown twice and failed at are touch throws. Wilson threw a similar corner endzone pass to Baldwin against Minnesota and it was on the money. I don't see Kaep getting to Wilson's level inregards to touch because I see it as something your born with. Im so glad Russell is ours!!!

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I watched the season highlights reel that the WS Cougar kid put together and I couldn't agree more. I actually found myself getting incensed, angry, and just downright PO'd at all of the negative or 'blah' type commentary we hear about our QB. Yes I Am and ALWAYS will be a Homer, but, my homerism doesn't prevent me from being objective. And I can say without pause that if RW had been a ninner the last two seasons, I would STILL have to admit that the kid is just Damn... Special! Sick widit! It's darn irrefutable if you actually know anything about football and or the QB position.

OP
OP
D

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
hgwellz12":35nxam3n said:
I watched the season highlights reel that the WS Cougar kid put together and I couldn't agree more. I actually found myself getting incensed, angry, and just downright PO'd at all of the negative or 'blah' type commentary we hear about our QB. Yes I Am and ALWAYS will be a Homer, but, my homerism doesn't prevent me from being objective. And I can say without pause that if RW had been a ninner the last two seasons, I would STILL have to admit that the kid is just Damn... Special! Sick widit! It's darn irrefutable if you actually know anything about football and or the QB position.

There is no denying he is good and that we got lucky for sure. With that said there is alot for him to improve at. The short to middle range throws have been tougher for him throughout his career but I saw a great improvement in this area in the superbowl. It actuallly was how Russell diced up the Bronco's defense and it makes me think that the coaching staff made a big emphasis on improving there before the Super Bowl. I would also love for him to get rid of the ball faster. Although scrambling is Wilson's bread and butter he needs to shorten his release time but that will come with experience and a better understanding of the offense.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Total agreement David. My posts come off as I think he's superman with no weaknesses. But I was just more so focusing on what i see RIGHT with his game that ALOT of detractors seem to blatantly overlook.
The EXCITING thing is that the kid DOES have so much room to grow and has proven that he can make those leaps in such small amounts of time! We are lucky to be alive!

253hawk

Reaction score
Kaep has such a wonky throwing motion; he's like a right-handed Tebow.

randomation

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":10o86dpp said:
hgwellz12":10o86dpp said:

There is no denying he is good and that we got lucky for sure. With that said there is alot for him to improve at. The short to middle range throws have been tougher for him throughout his career but I saw a great improvement in this area in the superbowl. It actuallly was how Russell diced up the Bronco's defense and it makes me think that the coaching staff made a big emphasis on improving there before the Super Bowl. I would also love for him to get rid of the ball faster. Although scrambling is Wilson's bread and butter he needs to shorten his release time but that will come with experience and a better understanding of the offense.

I think if he stops being the most pressured qb in the league that problem might possibly clear up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Krapsondick has an incredible arm. But, not so incredible on his decision making and accuracy.
Not near the QB that RW is, and never will be.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Part of the most pressured thing is getting the ball out quicker as is O-line play. Last year really is amazing when you consider all the injuries and compound that with a sophomore Q.B. it is unreal we hadthe success we did under the ccircumstances. Now consider our receiving corp will only improve, our line should be healthier, Wilson will also improve and will likely trust his pocket and receivers more and it becomes easy to see potential for major improvement.

The future is very bright in Seattle.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":13vzk7s6 said:
I hate to talk about a niner but I see this being a big difference between Wilson and Kaepernick. Kaepernick has very poor touch on his throws and that problem has lost him a Super Bowl and a Conference Championship. I say that because those endzone throws to Crabtree that he has thrown twice and failed at are touch throws.

I disagree. The pass interception at the end of the NFC Championship game was not a touchdown. He had no business throwing that pass as the coverage was too good. He should have went somewhere else and not challenged Sherman.

GFang

Reaction score
Excellent points, OP. I would go one step further and say Wilson has some of the best throwing MECHANICS in the NFL. (right up there with Brady and ARod)

Kaepernick relies on sheer velocity to deliver balls into receiver's hands. Since he took over at QB, I have yet to see him throw a pass with any considerable amount of arc. Whether due to a lack of natural ability, or his semi-sidearm mechanics, he cannot drop a ball over a defender and into his receiver's hands like Wilson. Flat trajectory throws like Kaep's are easier to intercept. Think back to Sherman's pick defending V. Davis in our first meeting last year, Maxwell's pick against Crabtree in SF, Kam's against Boldin, and Sherman/Malcolm's game-sealer in the NFCCG. Those passes were flat, floating ducks.

Wilson has the ability to throw both extremes: flat lasers, and high arcing rainbows, along with everything in between. That requires special athletic ability, and I do believe it is partly innate.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I couldn't stop smiling last week when I heard that Kaeperstink's contract extension talks have been put on hold during his investigation.

Do the Niners REALLY want to pay this guy 18M a year like he wants? Cause I don't, he's still got some big deficiencies to give him that much money............and the Niners know it. So let's hope that this implodes with the force of 1,000 dying suns............nasty, holdouts, he said, she said, no comments..........the whole nine yards.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1sol2dz4 said:
DavidCruz24":1sol2dz4 said:
I hate to talk about a niner but I see this being a big difference between Wilson and Kaepernick. Kaepernick has very poor touch on his throws and that problem has lost him a Super Bowl and a Conference Championship. I say that because those endzone throws to Crabtree that he has thrown twice and failed at are touch throws.

I disagree. The pass interception at the end of the NFC Championship game was not a touchdown. He had no business throwing that pass as the coverage was too good. He should have went somewhere else and not challenged Sherman.
I know two Whiner fans that agree with this completely, as do I.

canfan

Reaction score
I think another way RW's touch shows itself is in how few drops the receivers seem to have vs. the league average. He throws a very "catchable" ball and I am very interested in seeing if Golden Tate's very low number of drops per targeted passes continues on with Stafford throwing him the ball. I don't really know what to expect, but its something I want to keep an eye on for the upcoming year.

hawk45

Reaction score
Our deep passing game went from non-existent to a huge part of our success when one RW was inserted into the lineup and a lot of those are balls he flutters down to his guy in traffic giving a great chance to make a play. Being able to complete passes downfield to guys with not much separation, shoot we feast on that.

Kaep is dangerous when their run game is going and when teams have to zone him up, which is most of the time because he runs like a gazelle, and he spots guys with a little space around them and lasers it in there before defenders can close. Sort of what Tjack used to be like (but obviously much better) in needing the guy to be open. Not saying he hasn't thrown into tight windows with anticipation, but when forced to do it more than not-at-all, struggles ensue. When forced to make an easy no-throw decision for his playoff life against a corner who lives off picking the sideline go route, he poops his pants. That wasn't a TD I don't care how he throws that ball because it's not like Sherm doesn't adjust to a differently-thrown ball, and a ball thrown further lands out of bounds.

Lord help us if Kaep learns how to read defenses though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":3navnovi said:

He's 26 in his 15th year of playing football, how much longer do you wanna wait?

Kaepernick is tremendously PHYSICALLY gifted athlete, that just so happens to play QB........but IMO he's not equipped mentally to do what Russell does, which is live, breath and eat football from 4:00am - 10:00PM for 10 years straight in order to become the total package.

Russell grew up with a chip on his shoulder about being told he was too short to play QB, so he's compensated by doing EVERYTHING else as far as work ethic, morals and study habits. Kaepernick is the opposite...........he's been told since he was 12 that he was God's gift to football, so he's always thought he didn't need to study or stop going to clubs so he had more time in the film room. He could always just fall back on his talent.

Sure that works sometimes, but as we saw in the NFC Championship game, it cost his team the game in the 4th quarter. So IMO that ship's sailed, he is who he is, a very athletically talented QB that can't read defenses very well.

sam1313

Reaction score
Agreed Sgt. Largent, but Tate was the same type of ball player until he figured out he really had to try in the NFL. Hopefully, Kap never comes to that conclusion.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nk5he65 said:
hawk45":2nk5he65 said:

Kaepernick is tremendously PHYSICALLY gifted athlete, that just so happens to play QB........but IMO he's not equipped mentally to do what Russell does, which is live, breath and eat football from 4:00am - 10:00PM for 10 years straight in order to become the total package.
He's 26 in his 15th year of playing football, how much longer do you wanna wait?

Russell grew up with a chip on his shoulder about being told he was too short to play QB, so he's compensated by doing EVERYTHING else as far as work ethic, morals and study habits. Kaepernick is the opposite...........he's been told since he was 12 that he was God's gift to football, so he's always thought he didn't need to study or stop going to clubs so he had more time in the film room. He could always just fall back on his talent.

Sure that works sometimes, but as we saw in the NFC Championship game, it cost his team the game in the 4th quarter. So IMO that ship's sailed, he is who he is, a very athletically talented QB that can't read defenses very well.
How do you know Kaep doesn't work hard in the film room and such? How do you know he was told he was god's gift to football since he was 12?

I love RW and dislike Kaep, but those seem like baseless assumptions.

rideaducati

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1e5tcddv said:
Sgt. Largent":1e5tcddv said:
hawk45":1e5tcddv said:

How do you know Kaep doesn't work hard in the film room and such? How do you know he was told he was god's gift to football since he was 12?

I love RW and dislike Kaep, but those seem like baseless assumptions.

Kaep MAY work hard in the film room, but watching him stare at his first read on 90% of all his passes shows that the "work" he is doing in the film room isn't working very well for him. The assumptions are NOT baseless.

Latest posts