Wilson Improvement

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I am just curious as to what area of Wilson's game that you all would like to see improvement in. I would like to see it in the short to middle distance throws and getting him to get rid of the ball faster. I know we all love our QB and feel that he is all mighty and perfect but he does have some improving to do and we have to be honest about that. What do y'all think?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Running it more often, when he presents that threat teams have to respect his legs and it opens up so much. I'd also like to see more timing routes, 3 step and throw, or 5 step and throw. Until he gets a bigger body he can trust it will be hard.

Tical21

Reaction score
A big part of this is scheme and targets getting open, but Russell has got to get the ball to hot routes against the blitz. When you can tell pre-snap that the defense is going to send more guys than you have to block them, and everybody in the stadium and on TV knows he has to get rid of the ball immediately, and then there is no effort to do so. Countless times before the snap I'm saying "Russell get rid of it", and instead he just takes the quick sack. Those are when we need to hit the slant to Percy and get him in one-on-ones, hit Miller on pop passes, or hit a back in the flat. You can't tell if it is something they practice and Russell just isn't comfortable doing it, or if it something Bevell is just ignorant about. Those are the types of plays that the most efficient passers just kill defenses on. You can't send 6 at Brees, Brady, Rodgers etc., because it ends in a big play.

The game will change a lot if we aren't able to continue running the ball this effectively forever, but how can you not be confident that Russell will continue to learn and adjust?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Improved offensive line play, and the addition of Harvin and Michael, will lead to Wilson's greatest improvement.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Should improve on having more personality in interviews.

Other than that? I love the guy, best QB in the league.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
His stiff arm . . .

645_1387200323.gif

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As I've said many times since his rookie year Wilson is my favorite of the young QBs in the league. That said, in order of importance:

1) He really needs to learn how to climb the pocket. He's still too regularly operating off of an internal clock and bails after three sentences above the pocket, rather than stepping into it. People blame this on the line, but he does regardless of the quality of protection. Right now it's the biggest hole in his game, IMO. Interestingly, if there IS an area where his height affects him (and I'm absolutely not saying there is), this might be it.

2) His accuracy on intermediate throws is still quite inconsistent. He's very streaky, meaning this is likely correctable.

3) He needs to balance extending plays (which he's the best QB in the league at) with just giving up on them. He still takes too many preventable sacks, and deep sacks in particular.

JMR

Reaction score
He needs to climb the pocket a bit better and pull the trigger on some riskier passes when his guy isn't wide open. No doubt he'll get there.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
JMR":3ud0ta7f said:
He needs to climb the pocket a bit better and pull the trigger on some riskier passes when his guy isn't wide open. No doubt he'll get there.
I don't disagree with you but It's difficult to learn how to ride a bike if you don't have a bicycle. We need to provide him a cleaner pocket and he will learn this.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ He didn't do it at Wisconsin either, where he was almost entirely throwing off of roll-outs, scrambles outside, or above the pocket out of shotgun or on three step and strike drops from under center. Even in college if he was climbing the pocket there was a 90% chance he was looking for a lane to take off, and when that closed it resulted in a sack.

He doesn't have many holes to his game and he's a great talent not doubt, but this is definitely the big one IMO, and how NFL defenses have worked to contain him (i.e. DEs maintaining the edges and a spy over the middle, which he responds to too frequently by just going farther and farther back above the pocket or trying to make the DEs miss (which he's obviously very above average at in terms of success) rather than stepping in, which is EXACTLY what one needs to do to bust this scheme).

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JMR":1yr79w09 said:

As long as PC is his head coach, you'll not see him praised for tight throws into congestion. They'd rather take the sack than the potential of a turnover. It's not near as exciting (see Aaron Rodgers putting it into tight windows), but it does reduce risk and keeps the ball in our possession.

If Wilson can grown in his confidence with a better o-line, he'll be nigh unstoppable.

253hawk

Reaction score
Ball security. He put it on the ground 10 times last season, tying Peyton for 3rd worst. Granted, most of those were likely due to poor protection at the line and/or his non-throwing shoulder being hurt for the latter half of the season, so those situations and numbers will hopefully go down on their own. The same probably goes for his reduced carries off the read option when it was working so well in his rookie season, though we'll probably see it even less with Harvin in the backfield and running sweeps; plus C-Mike hopefully getting some reps this year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think most of you do not get it at all. Rw will never try to put into a tight window , because that is not what PC wants. As to the pocket there has to be one for him to do anything, when there is he does. As to quick hits off the blitz you are assuming he has a read, if you go back and look at the tape you will see very rarely was there a hot rad for a blitz, I believe the OC and PC are banking on him getting away and not worrying about hot reads, the few times there were he made the play.one of you mention Harvin well he only had Harvin for less than 2 full games, and the TE was kept in for blocking a lot. Now as to real improvements, I think putting the ball on the ground is a concern, however when you are hit, hurried, and sacked as much as he was it is a little understandable, but it would be nice if he could cut it down a little.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 4a50f4fd01

"“What we did get cleaned up during our playoff run were penalties and our protections. " enough said

The biggest improvement is Rw game will be form an o-line that is not last in the league in pass protection, contrary to what some of you say most of the sacks last year were not on RW, they were bad o-line or no Wr getting open, and PC has said he would rather have a sack than a TO.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think that everything being mentioned here is probably on RW's radar. One of the things I want to point out to my fellow fans is third down efficiency. One of the biggest problems we had in 2012 and some of 2013 was converting 3rd downs. Just look at the turn around the RW led offense has made. In the Super Bowl it was a dominate strength. With Denver stacking the box to stop the run RW still went 7 out of 12 in converting 3rd downs. The guy is a learning machine.

It's going to be very interesting to see what he achieves next season.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3junxxvz said:
Running it more often, when he presents that threat teams have to respect his legs and it opens up so much. I'd also like to see more timing routes, 3 step and throw, or 5 step and throw. Until he gets a bigger body he can trust it will be hard.

I thought I heard he had a sore shoulder most of the season? Maybe they told him not to?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Another thing that will help is if 70% of the snaps are not down around his ankles. I am not kidding I counted 70% down around his ankles.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm watching ESPN classic at the moment showing a 2010 NC State Vs Ga tech game and Russell is just smoking them with the quick slants so he can do it. Its funny to see Sweezy at DE though. Hauchucka just kicked an extra point.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I will echo the Niner fan and Tech. But with a caveat.

Brees throws a ton of middle stuff and climbs the pocket well. Which means Wilson can, theoretically. But the Saints aren't running the ball or some play action off the run on more than 70 percent of their passes like Seattle is either. Those quick slant routes are pretty much gone on play action. In addition, the Saints interior line is built to pass block those quick pass lanes for Brees, and paid well for doing it. It will require an offensive philosophy change that I don't expect for us to really use the quick short area a lot more. However, I am really curious to see if Harvin scaring the shit out of secondaries opens things up as much as it did in the SB in the short area. Better weapons down the field should equate to more good short area looks.

He does have to get better at hot routes. Wilson has some natural risk averseness to him, sacks are not as bad as turnovers, and with the road grade first mentality to the way Seattle scouts offensive linemen it may remain an issue for the forseeable future.

There is no perfect QB, not even Mr. Wilson. If I have to live with him as he was last year, and Seattle focuses on getting him better targets, and better blocking, he will still be one of the best 5 in the league.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I'd like to see more timing plays and quick hitters too but then you begin to sacrifice the long pass opportunities that RW is able to afford with his supreme scrambling. Not that RW can't routinely throw quick slants and quick outs if he so desires. He's done it in college and make it look easy at times with his quick throwing motion and velocity. Its just that those short passes are easier for defenders to disrupt by timing jumps or jamming receivers. Also if you just watch highlight videos of RW you wont see many short passes vs the controlled-chaos plays he's known for which produce great chunks of yardage.