Are we going to lose Maxwell?

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I think this is his last season under contract coming up. If he has a big year I don't see how we keep him considering that we might also lose Smith and Wright. I would hate for this to happen because I think hes going to be a great corner and I would love for him to be a Seahawk for a long time.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I say it is very likely. Unless we let Sherm walk we aren't going to pay him #1 CB money. Maybe $3mil a year but he should be able to get browner money 3 y 17mil.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I hope we don't, but man he is gonna want more than what the FO can probably offer him.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If we can afford to keep him something will have gone wrong (injury or performance lapse). Next man up and all that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If we want to be a dynasty, we need to keep drafting really well. It's simply the only way to be a dynasty in this era. Easier said than done, that's for sure.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Yes. Jeremy Lane and Tharold Simon will need to step up. They played fairly well in the nickel last season. It's also likely they take a CB to develop as a future replacement. These CBs play for us in four-year cycles. Lane is signed through 2015. Simon is here through 2016. Next man up.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I know it's BR but they have him rated as the 8th best CB in the league. They say of he he's be #1 on more or less every other team.

I'd be very surprised if Maxwell's form went unnoticed by the other teams.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is a long season. Lots can happen. This is not a "today" problem.

chrispy

Reaction score
Losing Browner this year, Maxwell next year and one contract yearly for the forseeable future on starters in the backfield makes me wonder how to turn them for a profit/trade. I guess you can count on a comp pick but with the premium that the league currently has on these guys, their value in a trade would be as high as it ever will be. What's the value on the 8th best CB in the league, on a cheap contract, off a SuperBowl win? Would Lane, Simon, Shead... and the draft provide enough depth?

It seems like the "take a QB every year" philosophy would be the same- to provide competition and get trade value in return. Are our CBs valuable enough to look at the same philosophy?

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
We won't always have a legendary defensive backfield that is 80x better than everyone else.

Some day it may only be 68.5x better.

jblaze

Reaction score
You can only pay so many of your secondary and we've already chosen who those will be. The #2 CB and nickel slots will need to be areas we draft and rotate through every 1-2 years. I don't see a problem with this though as PC is a DB coach first and foremost and their ability to draft quality DB's late in the draft is unparalleled.

We'll be fine. I hope Maxwell has a great year, he'll have his opportunities opposite Sherman, that's for sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":11vk62pu said:
I think this is his last season under contract coming up. If he has a big year I don't see how we keep him considering that we might also lose Smith and Wright. I would hate for this to happen because I think hes going to be a great corner and I would love for him to be a Seahawk for a long time.
It's very likely we lose him in free agency. I don't see a way of paying more then 3 out of 4 in our secondary group. We will just plug and play the #2 CB and slot guy with guys on rookie contracts.

Danthe12thman

Reaction score
Our draft strategies will be much more difficult. This is a copycat league and our recipe for success will be harder to achieve.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That's why team's evolve because it really is impossible to stay with the same exact recipe year in and year out under the current setup. For example what is likely to happen is that our defense will go from super ridiculous elite to solid Top 10 while our offense becomes more and more of the focal point as Wilson matures and adds on to his game year by year.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
If Sherman, ET and Kam are being paid, no way they spend big money on the 4th guy. That's probably always going to be the position in the secondary that is the budget position, the guy on his cheap rookie deal.

Just the way it is, can't pay everyone right? As long as they keep drafting corners well, it'll be fine. Next man up!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think we lose Maxwell if he keeps playing the way he's playing.

But IMO that's Pete and John's plan, to keep Sherm and continue developing DB's to step up when they get their chance to play the other side. There's no way in hell we can spend 40-50M on our defensive backfield. Hell, we might not even be able to keep Kam on his next deal if Sherman and Thomas get the 12-15 each they're rumored to be commanding.

McG

Reaction score
If they can figure out a way to sign him now, before he has a big year. That probably wont happen unless it is a pretty decent deal. Fun having one of the richest men in the world as your owner and not being able to keep a team like this together. MLB, European Soccer, and even the NBA to a point don't get penalized for having the most money. You can pay the players enough to come in or to stay, even if there is a luxury tax. Oh well, they don't allow the players in the NFL to have enough guaranteed money to feel secure and the players can have their career ended in one play so they have to take the money. I guess we can hope.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
12-15??? Where you hearing that?? More likely is 10-12. No Safety has even cracked 10 million and even Revis's actual deal is for 12 million, that second year is totally irrelevent.