Seahawks making “considerable progress” on Sherman deal

JZ#1

Reaction score
The Seahawks have the last pick in the first round of the NFL Draft, but that doesn’t mean they’re not doing any big business in the coming weeks.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, the Seahawks are making “considerable progress” on a new deal for cornerback Richard Sherman, and that both sides “are hopeful it’s complete by the draft.”

Paying Sherman — and La Canfora reports it will come in north of $13 million per year — will be the first of a number of big deals the Seahawks will have to do, before they have to start making the corresponding hard choices.

But they’ve gotten such value out of Sherman so far that they can’t complain. The former fifth-rounder is entering the final year of a four-year, $2.2 million deal.

And since he’s become one of the league’s top cornerbacks, it’s time for him to get paid like one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The only thing that surprises me about this is that reports are leaking about it before we hear anything about the work on Earl's extension. We're under a little more of a time crunch for Earl, and I expected work on his deal first.

Of course, it's likely that they're working on his extension, as well... but we just don't have any leaks about it.

TJH

Reaction score
More than 13m a year? No thanks...That severely limits everything this franchise does for the next 5 years. The corner position just isn't worth that much to a team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TJH":17p0tnl5 said:
More than 13m a year? No thanks...That severely limits everything this franchise does for the next 5 years. The corner position just isn't worth that much to a team.

This...my experience as a .Net poster tells me this will completely hamper the team's options

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is the exciting and big news. I'm happy to see Richard is well in there plans and it sounds like we're going to be able to keep him here barring something strange. I don't believe they make this move without feeling extremely comfortable with the future ability to sign ET and Wilson. They only make this deal if it works within the Salary cap map they have already put together. This deal does not jeopardize their plans at all IMHO.

I love it because I had pretty much "prepared myself" for life without Richard assuming he may have to be one of the big contracts we let go in order to keep money for other guys (although I was always hoping they'd find a way).

I'm so excited to see how everything pans out, the way they have been structuring contracts and almost reading the future with the salary cap has been fun to watch. I think John and his team has a really good handle on the cap and forecasting it for the future and they will be able to workout exactly what they plan to. It's going to be fun watching how they do it!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I love Shermen but I sincerely hope its not 13 mill per year. Especially when we are redoing the contract early anyway. We could pay considerably less just by keeping him as is and franchising him for two years. No cornerback is worth 13 per year anyway. That seems very steep.

drrew

Reaction score
The AAV means nothing, its all in how its structured so I wouldn't get upset hearing $13m a year until everything settles and we see how the contract is laid out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2b3a01dh said:
The only thing that surprises me about this is that reports are leaking about it before we hear anything about the work on Earl's extension. We're under a little more of a time crunch for Earl, and I expected work on his deal first.

Of course, it's likely that they're working on his extension, as well... but we just don't have any leaks about it.

I'm sure they can work more than one at a time, but IMO Sherman's deal is more important than Earl's, just as a show of respect.

Sherman has made $1,577,424 for his first 3 years in the league

Thomas has made 5,675,000 over the first 4 years in the league

This difference is due to the fact that Thomas was signed before the rookie cap was put into place.

This coming season, Thomas is due $4,625,000 which brings him up to 10,300,000 for his 5 year career so far.

Sherman is only due $1,431,000 this season putting his total 4 year earnings at $3,008,424.

Given that they are both elite players at their positions, Sherman is the most underpaid of the two. Then factor in that Sherman's deal will be more of a hit to the cap since he was making so little this year, whereas Earl's contract can be much less of a hit to the cap since he's already due much more money this year, and that really makes a lot of sense that they'd want to do Richard's deal first, then use what they can to tie up Thomas. It doesn't really matter who is first as long as they both get done, and it's monetarily easier to work the deals in this order if you want to keep them both.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The numbers have NOT been confirmed(I do not trust gossip by reporters as we know they are not inside during any negotiations). I think the negotiations have started and that is good news. Earl and Russ will be next. Look at all the vets that were let go. There was a reason for that. Chill..

ivotuk

Reaction score
My initial thoughts were that "north of 13" is too much also. But I was expecting in the nieghborhood of 12, and 13 isn't that much more per year, "if" that contract runs for 5 years.

If we can get Richard Sherman for 5 years, 65 million, then that is a reasonable number as the cap number goes up every year as does that value of each position. 2 to 3 years from now, "north of 13" won't be the highest paid Cornerback in the league. This is why I believe the Michael Bennett contract is such a good one, is the length of the contract.

Hopefully we get Earl in a long-term contract at just "south of 11.5" for 5 years and we will be set for a while. I think the next contract for a top Free Safety other than Thomas is going to be around 10 million per year, and E.T. should be paid "north" of what any other FS makes, because he is what makes the other 3 to 5 DBs on this team look so good.

:179417:

Donn2390

Reaction score
Natethegreat":wwrxvyiq said:
I love Shermen but I sincerely hope its not 13 mill per year. Especially when we are redoing the contract early anyway. We could pay considerably less just by keeping him as is and franchising him for two years. No cornerback is worth 13 per year anyway. That seems very steep.
That corner back who isn't worth 13 mil a year is the same guy who virtually won the SB with an end zone interception against the 49ers..
One SB victory is worth 13 million... Ask any team owner..

DJrmb

Reaction score
A true shutdown CB is one of the Hardest players to find and most coveted positions in all the NFL. And Richard Sherman is playing at a pace/level that will make him a 1st ballot HOF'er if he continues.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Averages don't mean anything. Structure/guaranteed money is everything.

Forget the money. He is the premiere CB in the NFL. If the Seahawks can fit his salary into their cap model, then this is nothing but fantastic news. Seahawks fans should try to enjoy good news once in a while. Just see how it feels.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DJrmb":e0hdckl8 said:
A true shutdown CB is one of the Hardest players to find and most coveted positions in all the NFL. And Richard Sherman is playing at a pace/level that will make him a 1st ballot HOF'er if he continues.
Correct. Why do you think Revis gets so much money? It isn't his looks. Besides it isn't about the raw numbers it's all about the guaranteed money and the structure of the contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3tie8ngp said:

I think Earle will be a little trickier due to what I said yesterday, which is because he's the best safety in the league right now by a mile he's going to want top DB money, not top safety money..........so that might be the hang up.

Earle's not going to settle for 8-10M a year like the other top safeties, he's going to want 12-15M...........and IMO he's worth every penny. He's the reason we can play a one high safety scheme, which puts Kam down in the box to punch people in the mouth.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We knew this day was coming; everybody calm down. Sherman led the league in interceptions while being targeted the least of any starting corner in the NFL, and on top of that, he has a penchant for making big plays when they're needed. Look at The Immaculate Deflection and his pick-six at the end of the Texans game to tie it up and put us in overtime, for example.

Buying that kind of talent isn't cheap, and the league is only passing more and more with each passing year. It's worth it. If you still want to whine about the cost, then just contemplate how 49ers fans will react when they see confirmation that they have to see him suit up for us for many years to come. :)

GCrow

Reaction score
If people think 13M a year is too much, then i'm very curious as to what they expected he would get?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seems like the last few years the actual contracts have come in less than "reported" numbers. For example, Michael Bennett was less than we were first told.