PFT: "Seahawks leaning against picking up Carpenter option"

themunn

Reaction score
7 million option for a left guard
leaning against? there's not a hope in hell the Seahawks pick up that option

TXHawk

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the word "leaning" in this case is being polite. I suspect if Schneider had to lean much further before making this decision he'd be doing a face plant on the floor.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
themunn":2yodf8ra said:
leaning against? there's not a hope in hell the Seahawks pick up that option
Exactly. Never mind an awful LG like James Carpenter. This is a non-story. Next.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I doubt there has been a remote chance of this happening starting 2 years ago.

drdiags

Reaction score
Here's to Carp turning it around this year or see ya later. Cable, you are probably going to get another couple bites at the apple with high round OL selections. Let's see if we can do better this time around.

Don't have the OLineman's coach drop his jaw in surprise on draft day or guards who like to eat their boogers, though Moffitt was an interesting fellow.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":49hg41c5 said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/23/seahawks-leaning-against-picking-up-carpenter-option/

PFT":49hg41c5 said:
Per a league source, the Seahawks currently are leaning against it.

If true, it means Seattle needs to consider offensive line in the draft even more.

True or not true, Carp or no Carp, they really need to draft O-line anyways, IMO.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Goodwin Seahawk":jg963b79 said:
SeatownJay":jg963b79 said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/23/seahawks-leaning-against-picking-up-carpenter-option/

PFT":jg963b79 said:
Per a league source, the Seahawks currently are leaning against it.

If true, it means Seattle needs to consider offensive line in the draft even more.

True or not true, Carp or no Carp, they really need to draft O-line anyways, IMO.

They have drafted an OL in every single draft they've conducted. I expect this is by design. Considering we keep 9-10 of them on the roster, it's a position that needs constant feeding. Just like LBs and CBs and DLs.

They are going to take an OL prospect. It won't matter if it's sooner than later. I do think that Pete's comments about the OL hint at it being a position of irritation for him. But whether that means anything remains to be seen.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I wish I knew Carp, so I could show him all the trash that fans spew out towards a guy who suffered two major knee injuries in consecutive years and is still working his way back into peak condition.

And in his first ever true off-season he's rumoured to be at a healthy 320 with 4 months to go before the season starts. Last year, he came off his rehab and into camp at 350+.

And by first true off-season, I mean 1st true off-season:

1: Lock-Out
2: Rehab
3. Rehab
4. This Year

Obviously the Seahawks aren't going to exercise a 7 million option on an oft-injured player that still needs to put in a consistent season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So the question now becomes, if Carpenter stays healthy all year and plays at a consistently good level, should Seattle try to re-sign him after the season?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SeatownJay":xgh3jm0n said:
So the question now becomes, if Carpenter stays healthy all year and plays at a consistently good level, should Seattle try to re-sign him after the season?

If he's healthy and playing well, and they can re-sign him to a reasonable deal, then definitely. Usually when that happens, other teams will outbid the Seahawks. But Carpenter has had such mediocre play, that they probably have a good chance to re-sign him on a cap-friendly deal if they want to. And if they can't get him for a reasonable deal, then they have Alvin Bailey waiting in the wings. IMO, Bailey is a much better pass protector and even slightly more efficient as a run blocker, and he has two years left on his rookie deal.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
themunn":2lafonj9 said:
leaning against? there's not a SNOWBALL'S CHANCE in hell the Seahawks pick up that option

There. I fixed it.

Also, unless Carp comes cheap, he won't be coming back. Low end starter at best. We're either drafting his replacement this year or we'll see Bailey/Bowie win the starting job there. Count it.