Cliff Avril: "Mayowa can be one the best DE in the league"

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Cliff Avril interviewed on KJR was asked to give a name or two that was under the radar that can step up and fill in the roles of guys who left:

"Benson Mayowa is a young defensive end, that if he keeps his head on right, which I plan on helping him out, is probably gonna be one of the the best defensive ends in the league. He is so athletic and is so explosive. He has all the tools, just last year he didn't get a chance to get out there much because of all the veterans."

He also talks about Jordan Hill and Greg Scruggs.

My prediction: The defensive line doesn't miss a beat losing Chris Clemons. Seattle adds another pass rusher in the draft and Mayowa ends the season with 9+ sacks playing opposite of Cliff Avril in passing situations.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
We talk so much about the Bennett signing, but picking up Avril in FA last year was just as big

hawknation2014

Reaction score
i6AYdyMQfr2Rt.gif

Benson MayOWa!!

kobebryant

Reaction score
Very intriguing player.

Still pretty damn young, comparable height/weight to Clem, and his workout numbers were better than Clem's coming out of Georgia; both were undrafted.

Played in one regular season game I believe, and managed to get some pressure on Cam Newton going against Jordan Gross.

http://columbian.media.clients.ellingto ... ers_14.jpg

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kobebryant":lgedg5fe said:
Very intriguing player.

Still pretty damn young, comparable height/weight to Clem, and his workout numbers were better than Clem's coming out of Georgia; both were undrafted.

Mayowa's 40 was a little slower than Clemons' (4.73 vs. 4.68) but his 10-yard split (1.64), short shuttle (4.26), 3-cone (7.04), vertical (37.5), and broad jump (10') are all significantly better.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kobebryant":3uha5op7 said:
Very intriguing player.

Played in one regular season game I believe, and managed to get some pressure on Cam Newton going against Jordan Gross.

http://columbian.media.clients.ellingto ... ers_14.jpg

If you go back and watch the Carolina game he could have had 2 sacks. I think he's going to have a significant role this season.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It would be funny if Benson Mayowa is the superstar they thought Bruce Irvin would be.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to hear. A lot of people have been saying similar stuff around here. We have these young guys pretty much ready to step up and prove their worth. Loved Clem while he was here, and a little sad to see him go, but I'm kind of stoked about kids like Mayowa, Scruggs, and Hill getting some snaps to show their stuff.

kearly

Reaction score
There is some obvious rare talent with Mayowa, but I refuse to get excited about him until he starts to show strength/power in his pass rush repertoire. Right now he's all finesse, no punch. Clemons may not be a sensational athlete, but he was still very hard to block because he mixed excellent technique with surprising strength. Basically, if you are pass blocking it's really hard to defend inside, outside and bull rush all at the same time. Clemons could attack all three, and when he sensed that a tackle was too light on his feet to cheat against an edge rush, Clemons would just dip his pad level, drive his feet and blow right through the guy. It's very similar to a pitcher who uses one pitch type to setup another later.

Mayowa is good at doing the rarer things, slipping inside and around tackles is very hard to do and even most first round pass rushers aren't very good at it. Guys that can power rush are a dime a dozen. So I guess there is optimism that Mayowa could bulk up and learn to use his strength later. But until I see that, I won't harbor any grand illusions.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It is strange that he had such a mediocre career at Idaho, yet earns a roster spot and this kind of praise. JS and PC do it again.

Idaho is a train wreck though so there a probably a lot factors contributing to his time there.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":2p3d3bfa said:
There is some obvious rare talent with Mayowa, but I refuse to get excited about him until he starts to show strength/power in his pass rush repertoire. Right now he's all finesse, no punch.

Mayowa is using this off-season to grind and get stronger. Not saying he's going to replicate Clemons out of the gate, but I think we will have some pretty good depth at LEO with Irvin and Mayowa behind Bennett/Avril.

ibvPoBYmOasrzD.gif

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Mayowa becomes a plus player, my already high opinion of John Schneider will be grow. I may have to give him honorary deity status.

Throwdown

Reaction score
This also ain't the first time that Avril has mentioned Mayowa in this way as well, Cliff must see something.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Glad Jared Allen went elsewhere.

Save 7ish million this year and next and let a young kid with loads of potential get the snaps.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Throwdown":12l5hkku said:
This also ain't the first time that Avril has mentioned Mayowa in this way as well, Cliff must see something.

Yup. He was asked the same kind of question a while back and had big praise for him then.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hope Mayowa can eventually raise his game up to the level that Avril thinks he can. I am still partial to Clemons. The guy just has a mean, nasty streak to him. Glad he was there to help get the ring. Clemons just seemed like the type of player I wouldn't mind going into a tough game with on my side. Tough break the previous year with that Fed-Ex field fiasco.

Several of those young bucks on the DL will need to step up. Wouldn't mind seeing the team do something with Avril so that his contract added a couple more years. Would be a tough call for him, since that would leave him at 30 when the extension was over and his big payday would have to be the extension.

Anyway, the chance is there for Benson. I hope Avril is right about him.