Fail Mary!!!

DesiHawk

Reaction score
why NFL why.. why is it a 'Fail Mary'?

You (as in NFL) subsequently released a statement defending the touchdown ruling. So why the F*** do you guys at NFL.com call it that. Does it mean that you guys screwed up? :34853_doh: SMH

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think it's a funny name. Too bad we don't have Tate to throw a bomb in the end zone to against them this time. I hope we beat them by five scores.

JKent82

Reaction score
I really can't see how Wail Mary hasn't caught on in these parts.

TXHawk

Reaction score
It was a media-manufactured controversy on a call that even the ESPN announcer called a simultaneous catch in real time. They had been looking for a game-deciding call to hammer the NFL with over the replacement refs and that was their opportunity. That's how a close call became THE WORST CALL IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL!!!!

I really can't wait to see that replay again on endless loop in the runup to the opening game against GB. /sarc

TwilightError

Reaction score
Why does it have to be the opening game? I'm sick of seeing the Wail Mary stuff already.

BTW, it was one beautiful simultaneous catch!

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
+1 as well.
And as far as that play? What about the late hit on RW3 on that play? Never called.

rigelian

Reaction score
Let's be real. It was a controversial call. I can imagine what this board would have looked like if the roles had been reversed. We'd still be screaming about it, just like we still express our dismay about Super Bowl XL. The idea that this was an NFL conspiracy is pretty ridiculous. This one call forced the league to cave to the "real" refs. It was not an outcome the NFL wanted.

As far as the media is concerned, the media does what it does. Stirs controversy and amplifies it. IF not for the "Fail Mary" we would every Green Bay/Seahawk game would be punctuated with the "we want the ball and we're going to score" clips. Bottom-line...we won. Enjoy it.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
rigelian":1a1e35so said:
Let's be real. It was a controversial call. I can imagine what this board would have looked like if the roles had been reversed. We'd still be screaming about it, just like we still express our dismay about Super Bowl XL. The idea that this was an NFL conspiracy is pretty ridiculous. This one call forced the league to cave to the "real" refs. It was not an outcome the NFL wanted.

As far as the media is concerned, the media does what it does. Stirs controversy and amplifies it. IF not for the "Fail Mary" we would every Green Bay/Seahawk game would be punctuated with the "we want the ball and we're going to score" clips. Bottom-line...we won. Enjoy it.

They talk about bad calls and controversial calls for years, the NFL network has top ten controversial calls I am sure.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I have never seen the phrase "Golden Taint"* in print (potentially because of the physiological implication), but I prefer it to "Fail Mary." The play did not fail, but it was tainted in the court of public opinion regardless of one's take on the matter.

*Golden Taint© is a registered trademark of OurManInChicagoCo.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
We can call it a TD, by the rules it's a TD. The fact is the ref should have (even though they usually don't) throw the flag on the pass interference. Even if Golden made that catch without any simultaneous possession to it. Everyone (outside of Seattle) would have been screaming about the pass interference call that didn't get made. So that being said I'm not too upset about it being called Fail Mary.

On the same note, had CK thrown that ball a little further/higher in the NFCCG. I think there's a chance we lose that game, we never hear the end of it from Niner fans. And we'd all be complaining about the pass interference non-call on Crabtree.

Just something to think about.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Look at the bright side, we've got MONTHS to change the narrative. By the time we all get done pushing every conversation towards the pictorial PROOF that it was a legitimate and CORRECT call, the Fail Mary will be known as the WAIL Mary forevermore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DesiHawk":jevsxrbs said:

You (as in NFL) subsequently released a statement defending the touchdown ruling. So why the F*** do you guys at NFL.com call it that. Does it mean that you guys screwed up? :34853_doh: SMH

Err, I don't think that's what the NFL calls it............it's more of a media thing.

OP
OP
DesiHawk

DesiHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tyqxuo8 said:
DesiHawk":3tyqxuo8 said:

Err, I don't think that's what the NFL calls it............it's more of a media thing.

I am fine with the media thing.
But since NFL.com is their website and they made trailers with that name, I didn't like it. It is like they are acknowledging it or something.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I want to make a trip for that game and was shocked to see tickets already starting at $316? I wasn't expecting it to be within $100 of what i paid for the NFCCG. Is our stadium completely sold out with season tickets? Wondering if there might be a drop if there are single game tickets available and if so, after they hit the market.