Richard Sherman named Times' 100 Most Influential People

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Good for Sherm but that is a sad reflection on the current culture. Moreover, I would say he is a newsmaker but I hardly think he is influential beyond his influence on Kaepernick fade routes.

suppaball

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2n6f33z8 said:
Good for Sherm but that is a sad reflection on the current culture. Moreover, I would say he is a newsmaker but I hardly think he is influential beyond his influence on Kaepernick fade routes.
I disagree, he has a very strong influence on inner city minority children and young adults moreso than he does Klapfilleddicks head. He is proof that a kid can come from the ghetto and be extreamly successful without gang ties.

HawkWow

Reaction score
suppaball":30c85ytm said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":30c85ytm said:
I disagree, he has a very strong influence on inner city minority children and young adults moreso than he does Klapfilleddicks head. He is proof that a kid can come from the ghetto and be extreamly successful without gang ties.

Sherman is a polarizing figure and capable of reaching those typically unreachable (by someone as articulate as himself)....but he also has some demons. Earlier today, I was reading an article about him, Fitz and Foster(!?) speaking at Harvard. Sherman played the race card in saying (Paraphrased) "fighting is acceptable in (white) hockey but when (black) players fight in the NFL, they are seen as animals...monkeys". I'm calling absolute bullshit. Sherman is smarter than this so I attribute such commentary to his demons. He is capable of great things and I believe he will do much more good than harm, but he is also capable of fueling fires better left unfueled, IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":3ucrr97x said:
suppaball":3ucrr97x said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3ucrr97x said:

Sherman is a polarizing figure and capable of reaching those typically unreachable (by someone as articulate as himself)....but he also has some demons. Earlier today, I was reading an article about him, Fitz and Foster(!?) speaking at Harvard. Sherman played the race card in saying (Paraphrased) "fighting is acceptable in (white) hockey but when (black) players fight in the NFL, they are seen as animals...monkeys". I'm calling absolute bullshit. Sherman is smarter than this so I attribute such commentary to his demons. He is capable of great things and I believe he will do much more good than harm, but he is also capable of fueling fires better left unfueled, IMO.

If I remember correctly, that quote came about due to some deplorable comments made on twitter and other places that were blatantly racist. I believe the "monkey" term was him restating it from a tweet.

Sherman does go back to the inner city and help try to get these kids to understand that they do have other options. I also believe it has been said by high school classmates/teammates that he pushed them, even back then to work to give themselves a better chance in life.

Sherman off the field > Sherman on the field (and we all know how good a player he is)

HawkWow

Reaction score
kidhawk":2gu283jk said:
HawkWow":2gu283jk said:
suppaball":2gu283jk said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2gu283jk said:

If I remember correctly, that quote came about due to some deplorable comments made on twitter and other places that were blatantly racist. I believe the "monkey" term was him restating it from a tweet.

Sherman does go back to the inner city and help try to get these kids to understand that they do have other options. I also believe it has been said by high school classmates/teammates that he pushed them, even back then to work to give themselves a better chance in life.

Sherman off the field > Sherman on the field (and we all know how good a player he is)

Don't get me wrong. I like Sherman both on the field and off. I am typically anti-censorship and enjoy his freedom, but now that he has this humongous audience, I do wish he would be more selective in his wording. The monkey comment, whether he quoted that from some racist swine or not, would have been better left alone (IMO). He's only perpetuating racism (IMO).

The high road would have been to ignore some a-hole's remark made on twitter. That is unless he thinks all white people feel that way, and if he does, he shouldn't be allowed to speak publicly...censor him.

But aside from the twitter comment, I think his belief that white people see "black people fighting on a football field as animals" is ridiculous. Sherm seems to get some wild ass notion in his head, then lets that notion consume him. His melt down over a pass thrown his way suggests I am not far off base with this.

I Love the guy but if he is going to rant about such sensitive issues, he should use a larger sample size than the words of some jackass on twitter. I think he's stealing from Ali's playbook now. Make half the people love him, the other half hate him, while knowing all will tune in to watch him play. Ali needed that edge. I don't believe Sherman does. Not anymore.