ET, RW and Sherm

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
OK, so ET is signed 4/40/27g (allegedly). I'm curious how that affects the cap. Am I out of line saying there's no way the Hawks can afford to sign Sherman this offseason?

If my presumption is correct, let's look at next offseason entering 2015. The Hawks can finally talk to RW about an extension and Sherm will be an URFA. Again, am I out of line saying there's no way the Hawks can afford to sign both? Obviously, the Hawks could avoid it for at least one more year since RW technically still under contract, and Sherm could be franchised.

Just curious what people's thoughts are now that RW and Sherm are the only "key guys" coming up in the next 2 years. Discuss.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sure they can. Here is a great podcast on the subject:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/4/2/5576 ... cap-lesson

Edit: Keep in mind that the cap is currently projected to rise as high as high as 150 million in 2016 (It's 133 in 2014). All the more reason to lock these players down as soon as they can so the contracts will be considered a bargain after new contracts inflate the market.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":t2f1udxx said:
Sure they can. Here is a great podcast on the subject:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/4/2/5576 ... cap-lesson

Edit: Keep in mind that the cap is currently projected to rise as high as high as 150 million in 2016 (It's 133 in 2014). All the more reason to lock these players down as soon as they can so the contracts will be considered a bargain after new contracts inflate the market.

Also, we need to remember that This is an Extension to his original contract which is already counting against our cap this year.

Sherman could also sign an Extension which would leave his base salary this year the same (while getting a signing bonus). Even if they both get fairly substantial signing bonuses (which I'm sure they will), they are pro-rated over the life of the deal and won't hurt us too much this year at all.

We can again do something similar next year with Wilson's new deal.

Then figure in cap increases that are due to come with new revenues and we should be fine

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They have plenty of money to sign Sherm this year. Earl's new deal has a negligible effect on this year's cap. The cap is ballooning over the next two years as well, so it'll be advantageous to get Sherm's deal done now.

People need to stop worrying already. Everything has gone according to plan. JS & crew spend a lot more time thinking about this than any of us do. Just be excited that your favorite players are getting locked up to lock-term deals.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seahawks have $15M in free cap space and are basically done with the outside FA market (besides maybe guys on min. deals). Getting Sherm done will be easy.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Without having had to rework 2014 to complete this extension, the Seahawks are getting really good value on this contract. This doesn't derail Sherman or Wilson plans at all.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Man we are fine when it comes to our cap. Too many people worrying!

Not only do we have cap space now but there are moves and cuts that can easily be made the next few years to give us even more room.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Schneider knows how to stagger contracts, he knows how to project the salary cap for this team years into the future. If I remember right, this was one of his main focuses while he was in GB... right?

No worries, he has this planned out.

OP
OP
seatt1eslew

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
Jeez, all you guys had to say was, "Yes, you're outta line Slew, you idiot. Signing ET has minimal consequence on getting RW and Sherm done". :white_flag:

I'll go to my cave and edumicate myself on salary capology. At least I didn't get as far as suggesting we trade Sherm next year before the draft after we franchise him :34853_doh:

drdiags

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it Slew. It is part of the appeal of following a pro team, trying to understand all the intricate details of how contracts impact the roster and future of the teams. I am sure those trying to school you at one time had to learn all this stuff themselves. Plus it changes as the CBA changes, so this stuff is never stagnant.

Even talking heads and media types have messed up on how NFL signings impact things. We as the common fan really never know all the inner workings, I just wait for Spotrac or some other site to lay it out for me. Brian McIntyre or Hawkstorian were the guys before then.

mikeak

Reaction score
Unused cap money rolls over and on top of that we are doing extensions. We are in real good cap shape

Meeker

Reaction score
Before the ET deal we were sitting at $90m next season where the cap was reported to likely balloon to $140m+ including ~$15m to play around with this year. Extending both shouldn't be TOO difficult as well as extending Avril, who is a UFA next year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Some reports said up to 145 million next year which isn't farfetched given this year's cap is between 133-135 million depending which site you visit.

dunceface

Reaction score
General Manager":1i767nd0 said:
Relax all indications are they will resign Sherman in the next 5 to 10 days.

This. And as someone said in the ETIII extension thread the fact that reports were coming out that contract talks with Sherm were positive meant that ET was as good as done and they are close with Sherm so sit back and enjoy the show!

plyka

Reaction score
For those worrying about the cap...you serious? If they sign Sherman or decide to not sign him it will have nothing to do with the cap. Inside nfl guys always say that you can always maneuver the cap, it's about cash flow and whether the player is worth his cost. If Sherman is worth the price he is requesting the hawks will get it done. The only people who are cap casualties are players who are no longer worth Their price for their team, like ware for the boys.