sherman contract in relation to new extension for Thomas

niveky

Reaction score
My first thought is that they wanted to get Earl locked up because there may now be a very real possibility there will not be a Sherman extension yet, so they did something they knew they could instead.

kidhawk

Reaction score
niveky":27o360vq said:
My first thought is that they wanted to get Earl locked up because there may now be a very real possibility there will not be a Sherman extension yet, so they did something they knew they could instead.

That is really your first thought? How about they were working on both of them, and just got Earl's done first? Not everything has some sneaky hidden agenda attached to it

Basis4day

Reaction score
Fans have been making a mistake in the assumption that the FO is only working on one contact or another at any given time.
When the news broke a week or so ago that they were "close" to a deal with Sherman there was a lot of "Huh? They should focus on Earl".

They have been working on both the whole time. News about ET leaks one day, Sherman the next.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1e9rgbeq said:
Fans have been making a mistake in the assumption that the FO is only working on one contact or another at any given time.
When the news broke a week or so ago that they were "close" to a deal with Sherman there was a lot of "Huh? They should focus on Earl".

They have been working on both the whole time. News about ET leaks one day, Sherman the next.

Worded much better :th2thumbs:

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":17b0zmos said:
Basis4day":17b0zmos said:

Worded much better :th2thumbs:

You beat me with the initial thought though.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
niveky":3ex93v2o said:
Orly? C'mon there is such a thing as multitasking.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They could save a lot of money by letting him play out his rookie deal, placing the franchise tag on him in 2015, and then signing him to a multi-year deal when he's 27 or 28 years old. I don't see another CB commanding a $13 million multi-year deal in the near future. Darrelle Revis has only managed to command one-year rentals for $12 million.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
i could almost feel the hostility of the posts....was just a personal thought..and my first thought without ruminating on it much. didn't think that i was laying out my whole stance on the subject. an initial thought is just that.....one would almost surmise from the tone of the posts that the strength of the responses was from the deep seated fear of losing Sherman the longer he doesn't get an extension done.(sorry couldn't resist the slight troll just from the aggravation most of the responses seemed to ooze.)

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
From my understanding, franchising guys is a bigger cap hit. That's why JS/PC don't like to use the tag

bigwrm

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1pya23rd said:
They could save a lot of money by letting him play out his rookie deal, placing the franchise tag on him in 2015, and then signing him to a multi-year deal when he's 27 or 28 years old.

I don't think it would really make much difference. The franchise tag for CB's is currently about $12 million so you'd only be getting one year at a substantial discount. Any renegotiation that happens this offseason would account for the fact that he is currently under contract for less than market value, resulting in discounted future years (also because the team would be taking on more long term risk). Plus, salaries are only expected to increase over the next few years so who knows what the going rate will look like in 2016.

Much better to get it done now, lock up an elite talent, take care of a player that has completely outperformed his rookie deal, and not risk antagonizing one of your franchise cornerstones.

hawknation2014":1pya23rd said:
Darrelle Revis has only managed to command one-year rentals for $12 million.

I think Revis made $16 million each of the last two years.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2twtob5u said:
They could save a lot of money by letting him play out his rookie deal, placing the franchise tag on him in 2015, and then signing him to a multi-year deal when he's 27 or 28 years old. I don't see another CB commanding a $13 million multi-year deal in the near future. Darrelle Revis has only managed to command one-year rentals for $12 million.

I have read this sentiment before and I couldn't disagree more. Letting a player finish out his last year is step 1 on the warpath. Then placing the franchise tag on him is step two. It will piss the player off. You forced him for two freaking years to play under a contract where he had no guarantees if he was injured.

Look at Deshaun Jackson and his final year. Horrific production and I am in the camp believing he did the right think packing it in before his deal was done.

The alternative is a good relationship with an extension that keeps the last year intact, big guaranteed money and locked up for four years with a potential second long term deal as a carrot to keep playing at the top of ones game.

From the Thomas deal I would say the FO and my thoughts are somewhat aligned.... It also leads to outcomes such as Bennet staying for less...

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
FWIW - it made way more sense to re-sign Earl rather than Sherm first for a number of reasons. The two main reasons being that ET is more important to the defense and he wouldn't have a huge cap impact moving forward compared to what he already is scheduled to make - unlike Sherm.

They needed to have a firm idea of what ET was going to be paid before even thinking of Sherm. They also know that they can't pay Sherm too much with Wilson waiting in the wings.

Sherm still has a small contract this year so they may hold out until next year to do the extension. He also could be tagged for a year or two if his demands are unreasonable. By that time he would be approaching 30 anyway.

I am of the opinion that the ET and RW are the two pillars of this organization right now and everyone else is expendable long term but I still hope Sherm is a Seahawk for the forseeable future.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2dk6zivf said:

Patrick Peterson will break the bank. He'll likely make just as much as Sherman since he has the advantage of letting Sherman set the bar. Aqib Talib is 28, has injury and off-the-field issues and is half the player that either Sherman or Peterson is. He's making $10m/yr. Trust me, teams will be glad to offer Peterson and Sherman much more than that.

Also, they wouldn't save "a lot of money." The franchise number hits your cap at an absolute amount and is likely to continue rising as guys like Peterson sign their new deals. An extension allows you to stagger cap hits and locks a player into his 2014 value. With the cap ballooning in 2015 and 2016, delaying the extension could actually cost you much more.

Finally, jerking around their elite players just isn't what this organization does. Of course, it is ammunition in negotiation, but if both sides can come to agreeable terms, it's not going to stop them just because they can save a few bucks this year. People need to get a better sense of the organizational impact of rewarding your homegrown talent. Extensions for the L.O.B. are setting an example for every young player that comes in and creates a positive atmosphere in the locker-room. This F.O. does things the right way and will continue to do so. Sherman's deal will be done soon.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I have a feeling Kam and Earl are in Sherm's ear to persuade him to get something done quick.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not sure what our cap situation is this year, and what we're trying to roll over for next year, but Sherm is on an extremely value contract.

If we were able to get an extension done, I would theorize that it would make sense to sign him now while the cap is lower, then pull forward some of that money in the form of a signing bonus. This spreads out the rest of his contract and makes the cap hits later easier to take. Plus the cap is expanding, so we'll have enough to sign a guy like Wilson. Plus, we need to sign Wagner coming up as well.

I honestly don't like paying Sherman 13 mil/year. He's worth it, but I'm not sure he's worth it in this defense. It's too simplistic to say that Thomas makes Sherm's job easier, but they work together. Sherm also makes Thomas's job easier.

Looking at Maxwell and Browner before him (although Browner was a bit of a physical freak), it doesn't look like it's going to be hard for Carroll to find talent and plug it in at a high level in his defense. I'd theorize a good Nickle Corner is harder to find than a lengthy guy that can play on the outside in Carroll's defense.

Then again, I could be totally wrong and we've just gotten really lucky with talent. Maxwell would've been cut by almost any other team out there. We were patient and it paid off.