Doug still hasn't signed his tender

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He is trying to work out a longer term deal, and signing his tender is the only leverage he has.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26rkx7zy said:
He is trying to work out a longer term deal, and signing his tender is the only leverage he has.

But he already signed a waiver to practice and has said publicly he won't hold out.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I could definitely see the front office telling him that there's no rush to sign the tender if he wants to keep the door open for other offers... BUT, on the condition they get a chance to one-up any offer :)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The Outfield":1tvgs6az said:
I could definitely see the front office telling him that there's no rush to sign the tender if he wants to keep the door open for other offers... BUT, on the condition they get a chance to one-up any offer :)

They would get a chance to match any offer anyway, as he's an RFA. If they didn't match an offer he got from another team, they would get that team's second-rounder in exchange (hence Baldwin being tagged with a second-round tender).

Schneider specifically said that Baldwin was in their long-term plans, so my guess is that they are trying to work out a deal right now.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Baldwin has until Friday to accept terms with another team. Then the Seahawks would have the option to either match those terms or accept a second-round pick as compensation. I don't see why any team would risk losing a second-round pick in order to agree to terms that Baldwin would be amenable to. In other words, it ain't gonna happen.

If Baldwin does not accept terms by Friday, as expected, then the Seahawks would still be free to eventually sign Baldwin to an extension or to restructure the tendered contract, as they did with Jeron Johnson.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
When you're a pedestrian, it's a long walk from your home to the VMAC.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
What difference does it make to Seattle if he signs it now or at the deadline? By waiting, he leaves open the possibility that some team goes crazy and makes him an offer and Seattle is forced to match. From Seattle's perspective, he's basically a Seahawk barring something extremely unlikely happening (i.e., a team surrendering a 2nd round pick to sign Baldwin). He was probably the best RFA on the market this off-season. Let him use all of the time he's allowed. I don't see the harm, and it's fully within his right under the CBA.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Doug doesn't strike me as the angry type... He'll eventually sign

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2qbcu4w7 said:
What difference does it make to Seattle if he signs it now or at the deadline? By waiting, he leaves open the possibility that some team goes crazy and makes him an offer and Seattle is forced to match. From Seattle's perspective, he's basically a Seahawk barring something extremely unlikely happening (i.e., a team surrendering a 2nd round pick to sign Baldwin). He was probably the best RFA on the market this off-season. Let him use all of the time he's allowed. I don't see the harm, and it's fully within his right under the CBA.
Which is why I said it was his only leverage.

two dog

Reaction score
Hawks need to get this done and for multiple years. I can understand a little pique on doug's part because
he is treated, not exactly with lack of respect, but in a subtle way marginalized.

Dougie has been money to the extent that the deep sideline circus catch, when it seems to be needed
most, is almost his patent.

NinjaHawk

Reaction score
I'm actually not completely sure about what happens if he doesn't sign the tender by the end of today. It would mean he is not under any contract, right? So, if we don't come up with something long term, he's not going to play, correct?

kidhawk

Reaction score
NinjaHawk":68ydjcn5 said:
I'm actually not completely sure about what happens if he doesn't sign the tender by the end of today. It would mean he is not under any contract, right? So, if we don't come up with something long term, he's not going to play, correct?

Today isn't the deadline to sign the tender, only the deadline to accept other offers. After the deadline passes today, he can no longer listen to offers from other teams. Technically he wouldn't be under contract, but he's already been to voluntary workouts (which he would have had to sign a waiver to participate in without a contract), so this means that he's highly unlikely to hold out. Once he gets through today with no offers (or no acceptable offers), he is then free to sign his deal with us at his leisure. I would say that if he's in town he does it sooner rather than later, but if he's out of town, then he may as well just wait until he's already coming back for something else and sign it while he's here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":bjls89sf said:
Schneider specifically said that Baldwin was in their long-term plans, so my guess is that they are trying to work out a deal right now.

He is in the Hawk's long term plans, but Doug being Doug I imagine he and his agent think he's worth FAR more than Schneider and Pete think he's worth.

So there's no way I see any sort of extension this year. Doug will take the tender by the deadline, hopefully have another productive season and test free agency. Just as with Tate, there's no way in hell we give Doug what he wants before seeing what the market is for him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uninfortunately I see us just rotating in a new #2/3 receiver in everytime one of them completes their rookie deal because I don't see us paying what we pay Percy and another 9-10 million to another guy unless they're a prototypical big receiver type.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I love Doug, but he'll probably go the Tate route eventually.

Oh well, if we get another productive year out of him, I'll at least be happy about that. He'll never get that "big" payday here, I suspect.

Latest posts