Seahawks and the subject of PEDs

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So, I was browsing the official 49ers forum and a mouth-breathing 49ers fan called us a bunch of cheaters, (must be registered to view that) which is nothing out of the ordinary, of course. Anything our bitter rivals can do to try and tarnish our accomplishments, and all of that.

However, I've been getting rather tired of the whole Seahawks being cheaters angle because of that ESPN blurb a while back about how we lead the league in PED suspensions. I decided to take a look and see what has changed in the meantime, if anything, and wouldn't you know it; the Redskins lead the league now and not a single one of the five Seahawks suspended for PEDs is even a Seahawk anymore: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/21/ ... ing-drugs/

It looks like Papa Pete isn't down with guys using PEDs, and has just quietly gotten rid of them; but of course, nobody's reporting that anywhere.

It seems to me that the Seahawks organization is truly the one above reproach.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to include the update that isn't on that article, which is Bruce Irvin who is still a Seahawk, so we're at six, five of which are not with the team. It bumps the Redskins up from seven players to 10, too; lol. Looks like at least one of those was substance abuse and not PEDs, though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Whether fair or not, until we stop having players suspended for PED's we will continue to be called cheaters by other fan bases.

Just because we're #2 in the league now doesn't mean this hasn't been an issue over the past couple of years.........and of course Pete doesn't like it. Which is why when guys like Thurmond and BB have come up for resigning or keeping we've said "no thanks."

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v8o2eer said:
Whether fair or not, until we stop having players suspended for PED's we will continue to be called cheaters by other fan bases.

Just because we're #2 in the league now doesn't mean this hasn't been an issue over the past couple of years.........and of course Pete doesn't like it. Which is why when guys like Thurmond and BB have come up for resigning or keeping we've said "no thanks."
Aye, but Bruce Irvin was a year ago (May of 2013) and we haven't had any since then. Hopefully that trend continues. The Redskins are way ahead of us now, after looking at what has happened in the past year or so which isn't in that source article I linked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Whiners fans can use whatever excuses get them thru the day. The reality is that the Hawks are the Superbowl Champs, and they haven't done crap in over 2 decades. Their coach is a dewsh, and their QB is a bicep kissing choke artist.

Next

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well a team that has Aldon Smith has no room to talk. Smith hasn't been caught for PEDs but his actions have been worse. He seems to get away with things though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ws3f5ivo said:
Well a team that has Aldon Smith has no room to talk. Smith hasn't been caught for PEDs but his actions have been worse. He seems to get away with things though.

QFT

Any other non-famous large angry black man threatening a possession of a bomb would not have the charges dropped, I can guarantee you that...............especially one with a prior history of gun charges.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Yup...pretty much Re-signing or if they like PEDs....Resigning, as in out of our team. That really means a lot, that little hyphen.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nnrewsc said:
hawkfan68":2nnrewsc said:

QFT

Any other non-famous large angry black man threatening a possession of a bomb would not have the charges dropped, I can guarantee you that...............especially one with a prior history of gun charges.
I don't particularly think you even need to be black. Regardless he has gotten special treatment and I hope he realizes it and straightens up because he's a great player and it would be sad if he flushes it all down the toilet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2o4gq8xo said:
Sgt. Largent":2o4gq8xo said:
hawkfan68":2o4gq8xo said:

QFT

I don't particularly think you even need to be black. Regardless he has gotten special treatment and I hope he realizes it and straightens up because he's a great player and it would be sad if he flushes it all down the toilet.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy due the fact that African Americans don't normally get leniency or special treatment by law enforcement. Just the opposite most of the time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gc3zxmy said:
MizzouHawkGal":1gc3zxmy said:
Sgt. Largent":1gc3zxmy said:
hawkfan68":1gc3zxmy said:

QFT

Just pointing out the hypocrisy due the fact that African Americans don't normally get leniency or special treatment by law enforcement. Just the opposite most of the time.
I understood where you were going I just think it isn't the best example given that bomb threats get anybody in trouble unless there is some kind of star treatment in play.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Niner fan has absolutely no basis to support their "cheater" claims, but it is what became the most adaptable excuse to explain their failure. Their local radio stations feed them some of this garbage too, they are no better. I have heard it and it is SO worth knowing that they reach that far to avoid admitting they just lost. KNBR even rode the "pumped in crowd noise" line as if it were a known fact. That entire area lives in one big isolated lie. Even the more acceptable Niner fan posters on this board won't be caught dead admitting that the WebZone Niner is full of crap. They just don't respond to it at all. These guys don't have a single item to stand on to support the "cheating" mantra, but they choose to use it as a tool that allows them to sleep at night.

This is nothing new, it has been going on for over a decade. Remember the source, not a single thing these guys could come up with means squat. This is just the latest in a long line of excuses that were much lighter in the days before the Niners were even part of the conversation. Now that the Hawks are taking out their "good" team the fans are just digging deeper.

The Hawks could be clean for 6 years and Niner fans would still refer to some cheating or PED BS, that isn't going to matter, I do not remember who said it, but if the Hawks aren't really guilty of "cheating" now, what makes anyone think that not having a single blemish will change things? Also keep in mind that they refer to Carroll as a cheater NOW because Reggie Bush was involved with the USC deal. Consider the source, always. It means noting.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Yesssss! Another thread about SF, and their fans.

Totally needed another one of these, haven't talked about them in like a week, far too long!

:roll:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all. I look to sports for entertainment, not morals.

It is naive to think that the majority of college and pro football players aren't using PEDs of some sort. Heck, my first two years of college I was running track and playing hoops at the juco level, and PEDs were prevalent there. The change in size/speed of the athletes over the decades cannot solely be attributed to advancements in nutrition, training and sports science (currently doing my MA. in exercise science). 6'5 230lbs wit 4.3 speed doesn't happen organically.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy a PED-free NFL as much; these dudes are running faster, jumping higher, hitting harder and recovering quicker than ever before.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
By my count, for a company that has made well over 1000 rosters moves between '10-'13 seasons and likely has the most competion driven based programs only 6 players of what my counts put at about 160 players who've just been on the Season roster tested positive or had their names attatched to PEDs.

Which comes out to a mere 3.75% of the players Carroll has coached. Is he expected to babysit all his players?

The funny thing is people still call the Seahawks cheaters when a lot of those guys aren't even with the team.

I guess Eagles are cheaters for signing Barbe after we cut him.

I guess Broncos are cheaters for trading for Moffitt.

I guess Jags are cheaters for claiming Guy after releasing him.

I guess Pats are cheaters for signing Browner.

Seahawks are cheaters because Sherman is an asshole and got off on a flub but it didn't occur to most haters that the time of his suspension would have put his offense somewhere at the beggining of the season or in pre-season and would have likely had to sumbit to drug testing while his appeal was in process.

Just like Bruce Irvin who was suspended in May last year and would sumbit to 80+ drug test before playing a single snap.

I just don't know how exactly the Seahawks must being cheating on the field or how 5 players means the whole team is juicing. If the 49ers had these issues with extreme roster turnover with a compete for your job system they would be looking at actual facts too... like how they've sugarcoated Aldon Smith as the Victim and how Brooks attacking a teammate wasn't that out of line.