Percy Harvin's contract next offseason.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
with the impending Sherman contract i think it's important to take a look at percy's contract and realize how friendly it will be to restructure beginning next offseason, while still being beneficial to both player and team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... cy-harvin/

IMHO this contract has "restructure after year 2" written alllll over it.

The guaranteed money (14.5m) was paid year 1 in the form of a 12m dollar signing bonus and a 2.5m dollar salary.

the two largest salary years are year 2 and year 6, in the form of 11m/11.15m respectively. Agent and player know that they will never see year 6, because the prorated bonus was over the first 5 years of the contract. Team knows it will be paying out year 2 to make their player happy. Player and agent know they will see that big year 2 salary, because a contract can't be restructured sooner than 1 year after it was last done. It's unlikely the Seahawks would want to suddenly enter into that conversation that late int he offseason based on when harvin was acquired.

Beginning next offseason, Percy is guaranteed nothing, and the Seahawks are on the hook for 7.2m in deferred bonus money if he's cut.

It's very likely at that point the contract is restructured, his salary is lowered, and he's given a new bonus cash in pocket.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone concerned about where money for wilson was going to come from. Part of it I'm 90% sure will come from a percy restructure.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawknballs":sybzp7qj said:
with the impending Sherman contract i think it's important to take a look at percy's contract and realize how friendly it will be to restructure beginning next offseason, while still being beneficial to both player and team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... cy-harvin/

IMHO this contract has "restructure after year 2" written alllll over it.

The guaranteed money (14.5m) was paid year 1 in the form of a 12m dollar signing bonus and a 2.5m dollar salary.

the two largest salary years are year 2 and year 6, in the form of 11m/11.15m respectively. Agent and player know that they will never see year 6, because the prorated bonus was over the first 5 years of the contract. Team knows it will be paying out year 2 to make their player happy. Player and agent know they will see that big year 2 salary, because a contract can't be restructured sooner than 1 year after it was last done. It's unlikely the Seahawks would want to suddenly enter into that conversation that late int he offseason based on when harvin was acquired.

Beginning next offseason, Percy is guaranteed nothing, and the Seahawks are on the hook for 7.2m in deferred bonus money if he's cut.

It's very likely at that point the contract is restructured, his salary is lowered, and he's given a new bonus cash in pocket.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone concerned about where money for wilson was going to come from. Part of it I'm 90% sure will come from a percy restructure.
Yep, there may be one or two more restructures besides just Percy's.

suppaball

Reaction score
Yea I can see there being a big restructure of his contract, last season he was so limited that I forgot at times he was a seahawk. I can see RW and PH as being one of the most dangerous passing threats in the league if Percy can stay healthy.

So yea let's get him to redo his deal next offseason so that RW is a seahawk for life.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bottom line, if Percy plays all 16 games + playoffs, he is worth every single penny in that huge contract.

I've been crossing my fingers that we have him all year. I'll make a bold prediction here, but with a healthy Percy all year, we go 15-1. Counting one loss on a fluke trap game.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Well put OP.

I also see Beast Mode restructuring or even being cut next offseason which would save us a bunch of money.

That, the decent amount of Cap we have now, and the Harvin contract flexibility are definitely 2 big reasons I am not worried at all about our future money situation.

Jville

Reaction score
I look at this differently than the OP.

Every player has the opportunity to establish their 2014 value. In a "what have you done recently" world, that value has yet to make itself evident. Future restructures are an unknown at this point.

The Seahawks currently have almost $13 million in cap room left in 2014. Any cap space not utilized will roll over into 2015. Current cap commitment for 2015 stands at about $97 million ..... leaving over $40 million in maneuver room.

I think we can anticipate that 2014 performances will unfold and shape 2015 contracts and contract adjustments. But picking out names from the Seahawk 2014 roster is an exercise in speculation.

There are other teams around the league with much more pressing cap concerns. I think the Seattle Seahawks are in good shape. Bring on the draft.

Go Hawks!

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm only looking at it from the perspective of the contract. You have to assume that Percy will have the kind of season management expected of him when the contract was created.

To me it just has the look of a contract that was meant to have the flexibility to be restructured after two seasons if necessary:

1.) Guaranteed money is off the books year 1

2.) Year 2 is heavy in salary, putting money in the player's pocket.

3.) Deferred bonus of 2.5m isn't too bad for a star player, so inflating it with another signing bonus pro-ration wouldn't escalate those numbers into unreasonable territory (this would be the one key factor where performance and health over the course of the 14 season will come into play)

4.) A new contract would create cap relief for the Seahawks while also putting more money in Percy's pocket in the form of a new guaranteed amount and signing bonus; neither of which he is subject to under the remainder of his current contract.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
If Percy plays and contributes as we all know he is capable of then he will be in high demand. Players in high demand don't usually renegotiate their contracts. Why should they? They will either get their money from the current team or some other team willing to pay. If the current team won't they will trade the player or release him. Either way the player gets paid. Percy Harvin is not Zach Miller.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I like the plan. Good ideas from the OP.
I would also like to see Okung restructure based solely upon his less than reliable health.

Cartire

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1kykayr4 said:
I would also like to see Okung restructure based solely upon his less than reliable health.

Pretty sure you can't restructure a rookie contract. He's up for extension next year though, and that could/should change is 6th year numbers. Otherwise, if we don't extend, I could see a trade.

seanutz

Reaction score
:13: :13:
LudwigsDrummer":obudtyng said:

HawkWow

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":rzx7ntlv said:
Well put OP.

I also see Beast Mode restructuring or even being cut next offseason which would save us a bunch of money.

That, the decent amount of Cap we have now, and the Harvin contract flexibility are definitely 2 big reasons I am not worried at all about our future money situation.

I am going to cheer my ass off, harder than ever, for Marshawn in this his going away year. None of this would have been possible without him (IMO) but he's hovering like a fly waiting for the windshield on the freeway. I sincerely hope we can get this man some (legit) blocking so he can go out in style. Top 5 all time Hawk for me and the ROH awaits his retirement. BEAST!

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Shhhhh. Don't spread the word that John Schnieder has a plan and might know what he's doing. .NET might have to close it's doors for lack of web traffic.

nwgamer

Reaction score
I don't think the team is worried at all about where the money for RW is coming from next year. The cap is expected to jump near 20 million higher than it is now. That money alone should be enough to take care of that and have a little left over maybe. Restructuring Harvin would allow us to pick up a free agent or pay others if we need to. The money is there for RW.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
While it's right to point out that young talented players don't often restructure, there are some extremely desired players that do - they are mosetly franchise QB's. The reason you don't see restructures a lot outside of QB's is because by restructuring, you are basically making a long term commitment to a player by giving them a new signing bonus and tacking on even more pro-rated dollars, and for most teams that's too big of a gamble outside of your franchise QB. For the Seahawks it might just be a necessary evil, if they want to resign a lot of their core players. A few things make this more likely to happen with Percy than other players - he's young, and he also knows his value to anyone else for a new or restructured contract might be too low because of his injury history. In Seattle however, he already has a commitment from the team and they have the incentive to keep him here.

the other contracts to watch will undoubtedly be Okung and Lynch as mentioned - Lynch will either get a new deal or be cut based on his age. I know people don't like to hear that but there is a reason we have drafted RBs high in the past two drafts. Personally I hope that we can keep him longer and just give him fewer touches. We've already seen the team do that by having Turbin out there on full drives.

Another interesting one will be Mebane. He'll be 30 going into next season, the final year of his contract. I'm not sure that re-signing him will ultimately relate to a reduced salary in 2015, but re-signing him will result in a signing bonus that may drop his cap number by a few million bucks in all likelihood.

Next on the list will be Avril who will be a FA next season. Honestly unless he has a down year I don't see us having a great chance to retain him unless he simply wants to be here more than he wants to break the bank. The only way i see us getting him back is if he has a statistically so-so year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Harvin still has four years, and a team option for a 5th year left on his contract.

So you guys are about 2-3 years premature on all this restructure talk. 2014 is going to go one of two ways;

1. He stays healthy and has a great year, at which point he's earned his salary.
2. He has another injury riddled season, at which time we tell him to take a huge pay cut or risk being cut.......at which point he says no and gets cut.