Seahawks led league in broken tackles in 13

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Its funny to think that not very long ago (few years) our d seemed to lead the league in allowing broken tackles. Now we tackle extremely well, and don't get tackled easily.
We are so lucky to have this team.

suppaball

Reaction score
HawkFan72":27m6tkzt said:
That's the part of Tate's game I think I will miss the most. The guy was elusive.
Dougie fresh will make us forget all about tater salad.

seabowl

Reaction score
suppaball":e8ag7gt7 said:
HawkFan72":e8ag7gt7 said:
That's the part of Tate's game I think I will miss the most. The guy was elusive.
Dougie fresh will make us forget all about tater salad.

Not so sure about that. Doug is not the same type of player Tate is. Tate extended a lot of plays with his breaking tackles (remember is TD against the bears in 2012). He also was a top notch punt returner and broke tackles there too. IMO he is by far the biggest loss for us this offseason.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Tate is our biggest loss, then we absolutely lost nothing over this off-season.

Tate can and will be replaced.

Baldwin will get better, Kearse will get better and both of them combined to break like 6 tackles in the Superbowl.

Percy Harvin will be healthy, and he doesn't need to break tackles, he'll gracefully run by them like he's in a different existence of time.

And if Seahawks can get quality production in a 3rd Down/Red Zone role from Rice, the Seahawks will be more than golden at WR for 2014.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I really rather Baldwin be either clear or thrown clear to be able to make YAC than have to break a bunch of tackles to get YAC because he really can't get good seperation in the first place.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1f31tvav said:
I really rather Baldwin be either clear or thrown clear to be able to make YAC than have to break a bunch of tackles to get YAC because he really can't get good seperation in the first place.

Baldwin is adept at getting separation so I am not sure what you are speaking of.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That's my point. I prefer that style rather than Tate's. With seperation breaking tackles is less of a priority or need.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
Someone is jealous about the smart minds of JC/PC. A little more than luck. Breaking tackles in the draft, recognizing talent, and a winning attitude. Get in line.

by theslothook :: Sat, 05/03/2014 - 2:23am

Seattle goes last in line in terms of deserving of draft luck. THeir whole resurrgence since 09 was on the back of hitting some absolute home runs in the draft : Both LBs, Both Safeties, their cbs, qb, etc. Essentially grabbed 3 elite players and 4 other extremely solid rising players in a span of 3 years. Simply ridiculous. I'm not sure I can remember another team within the last 20 years, outside of maybe the cowboys of the 90s, that managed such a coup in so short a span.

seabowl

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":kim8ceep said:
If Tate is our biggest loss, then we absolutely lost nothing over this off-season.

Baldwin will get better, Kearse will get better and both of them combined to break like 6 tackles in the Superbowl.

Percy Harvin will be healthy, and he doesn't need to break tackles, he'll gracefully run by them like he's in a different existence of time.

And if Seahawks can get quality production in a 3rd Down/Red Zone role from Rice, the Seahawks will be more than golden at WR for 2014.

Baldwin will be better. How so? Percy will be healthy. Hopefully, but that is a bold statement. IMO Tate was a very unique talent in the NFL hence the comparisons to Hines Ward. Lots of question marks on this receiving corps.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
seabowl":l8zlwq8l said:
Pandion Haliaetus":l8zlwq8l said:

Baldwin will be better. How so? Percy will be healthy. Hopefully, but that is a bold statement. IMO Tate was a very unique talent in the NFL hence the comparisons to Hines Ward. Lots of question marks on this receiving corps.

Right because I forgot that the group think around here is that young NFL players don't progress around here from one year to the next as they gain more experience. Baldwin has a HoF attitude with a HoF worth ethic... the guy is special... he might not have the size or athleticism everyone covets but he's a better WR than Tate and we don't need to tip-toe around it.

Secondly, Harvin is not an "injury proned" player he's had one significant injury that really wasn't that significant... an ankle injury but Vikings shut him down completely for political reasons. His migraine nor hip surgery are football related injuries, he didn't suffer from them on the field. If you've been following the narrative, safety Jarius Byrd had the surgery in 2010, 4 years later he established himself has one of the best safeties in the league, just signed a lucrative deal this off-season, and remained relatively healthy other than a foot injury he dealt with at the start of 2013. Harvin's past doesn't even bother me, not one bit, he has like 60+ million different reasons to make sure he's at optimum health and fitness and ready to perform like the superstar he is.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
seabowl":392i5z7d said:
Pandion Haliaetus":392i5z7d said:

Right because I forgot that the group think around here is that young NFL players don't progress around here from one year to the next as they gain more experience. Baldwin has a HoF attitude with a HoF worth ethic... the guy is special... he might not have the size or athleticism everyone covets but he's a better WR than Tate and we don't need to tip-toe around it.

Secondly, Harvin is not an "injury proned" player he's had one significant injury that really wasn't that significant... an ankle injury but Vikings shut him down completely for political reasons. His migraine nor hip surgery are football related injuries, he didn't suffer from them on the field. If you've been following the narrative, safety Jarius Byrd had the surgery in 2010, 4 years later he established himself has one of the best safeties in the league, just signed a lucrative deal this off-season, and remained relatively healthy other than a foot injury he dealt with at the start of 2013. Harvin's past doesn't even bother me, not one bit, he has like 60+ million different reasons to make sure he's at optimum health and fitness and ready to perform like the superstar he is.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2zbvhgym said:
That's my point. I prefer that style rather than Tate's. With seperation breaking tackles is less of a priority or need.

The wording of your first post confused me too, it was like saying Baldwin did poorly at getting separation, and my immediate reaction was, WTF? Getting separation is Baldwin's strength!

Yeah, Tate often got shut down by better corners. I will miss his game, the tackle-breaking run-after-catch especially.
I won't miss Wilson waiting, waiting for someone to come open.

Tate's broken tackle rate was *ridiculous*, like 34% of the time he broke a tackle. (Lynch led the league in # of broken tackles for RBs, and had a broken tackle rate of 17%, in comparison) Of course, he's breaking tackles of smallish corners and safeties, more so than big nasty linebackers, but still a ton of fun to watch.

My favorite Tate plays this year were: that 80 yard TD catch vs Rams, but ruined the play with the silly taunting; second is the punt return vs. Tampa Bay. Two plays that if Tate doesn't make them, both games are likely L's rather than W's.
Get your Tate fix here:
[youtube]xOyLqfwTTSE[/youtube]

Love it that the video shows Tate's *BLOCKING* highlights from the year. Just shows what Seattle asks their WR's to do. Shows Tate having some key blocks on big plays that it's easy to take for granted... "look at Beastmode go!" Well, it's easier for Lynch to run over a dude at the 5 and score if Tate has already softened up the defender and knocked him back with a well-executed and timely downfield block.

Detroit will love Tate and he will thrive there opposite Megatron, and we will be just fine without him.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
RW has a third more broken tackles than Luck and 40% more than Kaep btw.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
One not-so-nice statistic was Turbin in the Bottom 10 in broken tackle rate (4.7%).

olyfan63

Reaction score
ctrcat":2974zxk3 said:
RW has a third more broken tackles than Luck and 40% more than Kaep btw.

That's partly because Kaep outruns the defenders in the first place with that freakish and deceptive long striding speed. So he doesn't have as many tackles to break. We'll see some of that out of Terrelle Pryor. IIRC, Kaep's running was killing us in the NFCCG first half (nearly 100 yards rushing) and Pete switched to more zone coverage in the 2nd half, which made Kaep's running less effective.

seanutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":14wbt2jg said:
:179422: :13:

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I swear the Baldwin TD in the Superb Owl had FOUR people miss him on his doing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We'll probably be #1 next year because of Percy, but losing Tate hurts a lot in regards to team broken tackle and YAC stats.