Unaddressed needs...

jake206

Reaction score
Although I think Hawks will have some good options for pass rushing (Marsh and Jeffcoat), I don't think they adequately addressed their run defense vulnerability. Cardinals exploited them and I wouldn't be surprised if other teams tried to do the same. Norwood will show up as a very nice surprise and be the better WR of the two, but I have serious doubts about Richardson. He has 8+ sized hands, when it gets rainy and cold, he's really going to have hard time gripping the ball. Marsh is a great choice for pass rush leo type and so is the UFA Jeffcoat. Both have good bloodlines, right attitude and great college resumes. KPL will be an instant impact player to sub in for OLB core and could be replacement for Malcolm
Smith next year. On the other hand, we are going to have serious O-line issues especially on pass protection. Hawks look like they took a volume-draft approach with Olinemen this year. We play Rams twice and with their DL, I'm not even going to guess how many times we'll have to max protect. Otherwise, hope Hawks will be able to compete for repeat run for SB, but its going to be tough.

Always compete!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jake206":3ns2o5f7 said:
Although I think Hawks will have some good options for pass rushing (Marsh and Jeffcoat), I don't think they adequately addressed their run defense vulnerability. Cardinals exploited them and I wouldn't be surprised if other teams tried to do the same. Norwood will show up as a very nice surprise and be the better WR of the two, but I have serious doubts about Richardson. He has 8+ sized hands, when it gets rainy and cold, he's really going to have hard time gripping the ball. Marsh is a great choice for pass rush leo type and so is the UFA Jeffcoat. KPL will be an instant impact player to sub in for OLB core. On the other hand, we are going to have serious O-line issues especially on pass protection. We play Rams twice and with their DL, I'm not even going to guess how many times we'll have to max protect. Otherwise, hope Hawks will be able to compete for repeat run for SB, but its going to be tough.

Always compete!

Few things I don't agree with.
1. He has 8+ sized hands, when it gets rainy and cold, he's really going to have hard time gripping the ball.
You catch with both hands, Golden Tate's hands were only 3/8" larger and Deshawn Jackson's hand size is smaller than P-money...not an issue.
2.Marsh is a great choice for pass rush leo type and so is the UFA Jeffcoat.
Pete has said Marsh will mirror Michael Bennett.....this leads me to believe he won't be playing leo much.
3. I don't think they adequately addressed their run defense vulnerability. Cardinals exploited them and I wouldn't be surprised if other teams tried to do the same.
Hawks finished top 10 in run defense and they won the superbowl. Did teams run all over them? In addition to that many guys that didn't play last year due to injury have a real shot at being contributors and that is how they are addressing the change in personnel along the line.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
Desean Jackson didn't play in PNW (rain city) like Richardson will. Golden's baseball skills also probably contributed to his increased ability to be sure-handed with football, but I'm willing to concede this point. I'd also like to point out that SB team had some key D-linemen that are no longer with the team. They also lost some underrated D-linemen, Red Bryant, Clinton Mcdonald, Chris Clemons. to free agency. Most of them contributed to average to above average run defense.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
They added DTs Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams in the draft last year and basically redshirted them. They'll be able to contribute this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
He has 8+ sized hands, when it gets rainy and cold, he's really going to have hard time gripping the ball

He played outdoors in Colorado, it gets cold there last time I checked, also with the gloves many players use now it's like a permenant stickum. I am not worried, good receivers have what I call soft hands and can take the ball in at it's farthest point and control in coming in, chest catchers have a lot more problems with hard and slick balls since they don't take the ball as it is coming into them.

Throwdown

Reaction score
chris98251":3nc14p76 said:
He has 8+ sized hands, when it gets rainy and cold, he's really going to have hard time gripping the ball

He played outdoors in Colorado, it gets cold there last time I checked, also with the gloves many players use now it's like a permenant stickum. I am not worried, good receivers have what I call soft hands and can take the ball in at it's farthest point and control in coming in, chest catchers have a lot more problems with hard and slick balls since they don't take the ball as it is coming into them.

If you remember from the New Orleans game, there's some gloves that get stickier when its wet.

kearly

Reaction score
We got Tony McDaniel back. As long as one of McDaniel or Mebane stay healthy we should be no worse than adequate for run defense.

drrew

Reaction score
jake206":2hbehnen said:
Desean Jackson didn't play in PNW (rain city) like Richardson will.

Philadelphia averages about 5 more inches per year of rainfall than Seattle does. So why exactly will Richardson have a problem?

Throwdown

Reaction score
drrew":2ym5kgqh said:
jake206":2ym5kgqh said:

Philadelphia averages about 5 more inches per year of rainfall than Seattle does. So why exactly will Richardson have a problem?

Cuz he wasn't one of the recievers that were talked up pre draft, but still projected to go around the same area he went.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Probably already been said but I'll say it again. Richardson played college ball in the state of Colorado as well as had a huge game against the Huskies on a cold rainy fall Saturday in Seattle this past season.

I'm sure Schneider and Pete know his hand size.

drrew

Reaction score
Steve2222":1l0yg80y said:
Probably already been said but I'll say it again. Richardson played college ball in the state of Colorado as well as had a huge game against the Huskies on a cold rainy fall Saturday in Seattle this past season.

I'm sure Schneider and Pete know his hand size.

He also was essentially the entire Colorado offense. Colorado only had 4 wins all of last season, in those 4 wins, Richardson had 40 receptions for 679 yards and 5 TDs.

I would have loved Marquise Lee, but I'm nearly as excited for Paul Richardson and think he really may become a star.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":1j0ntyt3 said:
drrew":1j0ntyt3 said:
jake206":1j0ntyt3 said:

Cuz he wasn't one of the recievers that were talked up pre draft, but still projected to go around the same area he went.
NOT 6'5 I HATE HIM

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I think our offense will have whole new look this year. It was easier to press our line hard with half of them out hurt half the season and our top two receivers out for the year as well. When we did get our line back they needed time to create continuity and still didn't have the receiving weapons we should have (no slight to the guys who got it done). With Percy and Rice back in and ADB and Kearse and the new Rookie talent pool I think we can be a high power offense. It will be harder to stack the box and stop Lynch with that much speed on the outside. I would love to see the emergence of a tight end having a breakout year. This would give Russell a better safety valve if he gets into trouble. I think we are fine on defense especially since our offense will give them more this season. The punt return game is still in question though. Tate did a fantastic job of giving our offense a win in the field position game. Not to many holes to really worry about. Pete said it best when he said we have all the pieces we need without the draft. I think It is now just a matter of execution and motivation. In other words REPEAT.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":339o0lwf said:
We got Tony McDaniel back. As long as one of McDaniel or Mebane stay healthy we should be no worse than adequate for run defense.
Plus Skruggs, didn't he put on some pounds to work into the run stuffing role as well?