Three way QB competition this preseason?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
TJack, Pryor and Price.

If Price can show he's as good as people used to think he was, then he could turn this into a three way race for the #2 spot. If so, this will be an interesting competition to keep an eye on. Far less controversy than our last three way comp. TJack has the inside track, being the veteran and knowing the system. Price and Pryor have to really show the coaches something early to get a shot at the #2 spot. We'll quickly find out which of those two has a shot because they'll be gone quickly if they don't.

Pryor has that mobility going for him. He's been a starter so he has shown coaches before he can do the job. But Oakland was such a bad team and he had nobody around him. He fell into bad habits. Can they coach those habits out of him? Is he salvagable?

Price was a Heisman candidate just a few short years ago. I think he happens to have a great deal of potential and could it's worth taking a look to see what he's got. He could be the surprise UFDA this season.

The way I see this competition panning out is they take a good look at both QB's early and make a decision. If either of them opens eyes, that guy could be challenging TJack for the #2. If neither of them can challenge, then the decision will be made whether one of them should be on the practice squad. I don't see Pryor going from starter in the NFL with the longest run from scrimmage by a QB in NFL history last season to practice squad. I see him either challenging TJack or not making the team. Price I could see going on practice squad. But if he's as good as I think he CAN be, I could see the coaching staff having to make some tough choices.

I really hope Price can turn this into a three way race.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Have the Hawks come out and said exactly where Pryor is going to play? Is there a chance they move him off of QB and utilize his skills elsewhere?

Polaris

Reaction score
I agree that there will be a three way competition for QB this preseason, but it won't be for TJack (unless TJack really does poorly in preseason). Remember that TJack is on a guaranteed one year contract (and ironically is the highest paid Seahawk QB) which makes him almost an iron lock to be Wilson's backup this coming season.

However, Pete has shown a willingness to carry three QBs if that third QB is someone he likes. I think Pete likes BJ Daniels, Pryor, and Price and that's where the competition will come. I also think the winner of the competition for #3 has the inside track to be the #2 QB in the 2015 season. I have no hard info regarding the last. Just a gut feeling.

kearly

Reaction score
I am a big fan of all five QBs on our roster, I wish we had minor league football teams to send players down to because I'd love to watch guys like Daniels or Price leading the football equivalent of the Raniers.

Price is the 2nd most natural QB on our roster, so I think he could potentially earn the #2 job if he has a stellar preseason and Seattle finds a trade partner for Tjack. But right now, he's probably option #4 with only Daniels being lower. I would hate to cut any of Daniels, Pryor, or Price before the preseason but I have no idea how they are going to get the reps for these guys.

It's amazing to think that just one year ago the team had discussions about Tim Tebow, and for a few months our #2 QB was Brady Quinn.

Polaris

Reaction score
kearly":1jmicjgw said:
It's amazing to think that just one year ago the team had discussions about Tim Tebow, and for a few months our #2 QB was Brady Quinn.

What's even more amazing (IMHO) is just a bit more than two short years ago (before the 2012 draft) we were fretting and wondering how Seattle would be able to get a true franchise QB and how much it would cost us (if one was available at all). It's so nice being one of the NFL "haves" in the QB department rather than the have-nots for a change.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1f8sy625 said:
Have the Hawks come out and said exactly where Pryor is going to play? Is there a chance they move him off of QB and utilize his skills elsewhere?
They have already said he's here to play quarterback.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have a good situation, we have a developmental QB in Price and Daniels, we have legitmate back ups in Pryor and Jackson, we also have the ability to trade either and get picks should someone go down someplace in pre season or not look like they should.

razor150

Reaction score
I think we carry 3 QBs this year and unless Pryor really shows poorly. I think he has the inside track for the 3rd spot since we traded for him. They must seem something in him for the future. Price and Daniels are probably playing to see who is on the practice squad, unless they absolutely outplay Pryor and Jackson. I suppose they both could end up on the practice squad if they both impress, but that would be an unlikely and unusual situation.

Jackson's spot is the most secure, but I think if he is clearly outplayed they will be willing to pay him for not being apart of the team. They have with other players, just not with someone of Jackson's character.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe they all will be competing will Russell for the starting spot. Don't laugh how many thought he would actually beat out Flynn. I know I know there were some of you. I think Pete would like to keep RW motivated after the Big Win and all the attention. Then again RW eats motivation for breakfast at 4 A.M. so I don't think that will be necessary.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think the Dawgs have put like 20 QBs in the NFL. It could be argued that Price ranks in the top 1/3rd of that bunch. I love the kid and would love to see him stick but his size, style and suspect arm strength makes him more effective as a passer when he's also a threat to use his legs. I'm not sure how good his legs are at this point.

If healthy, I have no doubt he can win more games than not with this team and money considered, I'd probably keep him over Pryor and TJack. Let the 2 spot go to BJ or Keith. I think both have higher ceilings and have more potential of topping out having learned under RW. I could be wrong.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if Pryor can return punts.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I suspect part of the reason for 5 is Wilson. He has been really hitting the media circuit hard and I suspect that one of the things pc is doing is motivation. Keep even RW looking over his shoulder. Remember he is out of the bill Walsh school with 2 hall of fame QBs with Montana and young.

Montana has stated he hated having to look over his shoulder with young but admits it made both of them better

drdiags

Reaction score
Something else to think about is that Wilson was thought to be banged up among the fanbase. I don't think the club ever verified this but most speculated from the SB sideline clip that Wilson was favoring one side of his body.

Divorce isn't a simple nuisance as well. My thinking is Price to the PS, BJ is going to end up cut and Pryor is pumped up to try and get value prior to the cut-down to 53. I am not sure they keep him if they cannot find a trade partner.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Polaris":12w29z3y said:
Remember that TJack is on a guaranteed one year contract (and ironically is the highest paid Seahawk QB) which makes him almost an iron lock to be Wilson's backup this coming season.

Jackson's contract is NOT guaranteed. The only thing guaranteed was his $150k signing bonus: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... s-jackson/

But I agree that Jackson is the best backup option because of his starting experience, knowledge of the system, and skill set. As you say, he is also the most expensive. If Price balls out and locks up that backup spot, highly unlikely but possible, then we would have our backup QB locked up on a minimum deal for the next three years. Jackson/Pryor would both need to be paid next season, which makes them less attractive options.

McG

Reaction score
kearly":14t2c5xs said:
I am a big fan of all five QBs on our roster, I wish we had minor league football teams to send players down to because I'd love to watch guys like Daniels or Price leading the football equivalent of the Raniers.

Price is the 2nd most natural QB on our roster, so I think he could potentially earn the #2 job if he has a stellar preseason and Seattle finds a trade partner for Tjack. But right now, he's probably option #4 with only Daniels being lower. I would hate to cut any of Daniels, Pryor, or Price before the preseason but I have no idea how they are going to get the reps for these guys.

I wish the same thing as well. I boggles my mind why they haven't implemented something like this yet. The amount of talent coming out of college and that gets cut off the team after a couple years is insane compared to even 10 years ago. With football becoming so popular all over the country there would be a pretty decent market for teams that don't have a professional football team (because you know the NFL is all about $). I think it would allow players who aren't "NFL ready" out of college, a chance to develop instead of becoming an Arena Football or a CFL guy, which if anything is a step back from developing NFL talent. I get that College Football is considered basically the minors, but they have no affiliation to any franchise. So basically it's get drafted and show up or you are done. Seems like they are missing out on a huge opportunity to me, but then again I'm just dude that loves the game, not a suit from the NFL that knows the numbers on cost and demand.

nsport

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3led80jr said:
Polaris":3led80jr said:
Remember that TJack is on a guaranteed one year contract (and ironically is the highest paid Seahawk QB) which makes him almost an iron lock to be Wilson's backup this coming season.

Jackson's contract is NOT guaranteed. The only thing guaranteed was his $150k signing bonus: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... s-jackson/

But I agree that Jackson is the best backup option because of his starting experience, knowledge of the system, and skill set. As you say, he is also the most expensive. If Price balls out and locks up that backup spot, highly unlikely but possible, then we would have our backup QB locked up on a minimum deal for the next three years. Jackson/Pryor would both need to be paid next season, which makes them less attractive options.

I kind of felt like Jackson has the inside track - mainly because of experience. Experience is what the others are clearly lacking. If Wilson happened to go down, who would you give the ball to? 3 guys with no experience in our system? I don't think I can pick one unless there's a serious breakout candidate in camp.