"Favorite" pick, "Hate" it pick and "meh" pick

Giblien

Reaction score
What picks were your favorite, least favorite, most "meh" and why?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Favorite: Norwood because of back story and size/ability vs. our needs
Least: Britt because I don't know enough about linemen to counter so much negative press on the guy
Meh: Small; I doubt he makes the team over Ware/Coleman/other, so why is he here?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
"Hate it" Pick: I only hate Austin Sefarin-Jenkins isn't a Seattle Seahawks.
"Meh" Pick: Out of everyone, I guess Jimmy Staten... I looked at a lot of late round DTs, and this guy came out of nowhere.

And ill put the Favorite Pick into 3 parts:

Like It: Justin Britt, the guy is all-around and solid. Plus, I love players that people constantly doubt, I might even make a twitter just so I can tweet him all the negative things people will say about him here for the next 3 months and put an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

Love It: Paul Richardson, this guy can tilt the field and hit home runs, if you like DeSean Jackson/Mike Wallace you have to love Paul Richardson. You can see a difference of speed from Tate to Harvin... Richardson is a slight step-up from Harvin in my opinion. This is the guy who will truly help Wilson fend off pressure than some big possession WR.

Gotta Have it: Cassius Marsh, first I love his name... 2ndly, I love his game... the guy is a real football player and he plays the game with BOOM. As a DE, I saw him has a white Chris Clemons/poor man's Jared Allen... just a high-motor, relentless player... But I guess the Seahawks will be moving him to DT ala Bennett... and he kind of plays similar to Bennett as well. Not the biggest or fastest or most athletic player but he knows how to disrupt a pocket and has a knack to make plays all over the field in punishing fashion. .

kearly

Reaction score
Good stuff, Pandion Haliaetus.

Love it:

Keith Price in UDFA probably comes the closest to a "love it" pick for me. He has some major issues to overcome with his durability and mental toughness, but the fit in our offense could not be more obvious. I narrowly preferred Connor Shaw but Price was completely understandable given his connections to Carroll (through Sark) and Wilson.

Among the actual draft picks, my favorite was Kevin Norwood. This guy was AJ McCarron's go to guy when he needed a 1st down. He's very polished as a route runner and has excellent body control and hands. 6'2", 4.48. 7 out of 10 catches resulted in first downs. And for such an impressive possession WR, Norwood boasts the kind of yards per catch and TD per catch ratios of a #1 WR, which tells you he's also very good on deep throws and in the red zone.

Like it:

I worry about Justin Britt's susceptibility to the bull rush, but otherwise I think he was the perfect prospect to replace Breno. There were a couple of other OL prospects I liked more, but Britt is one fix away from being an above average right tackle.

Hate it:

Hate is too strong a word, but Kiero Small seems like a wasted pick. You could draft almost any fullback you want in the 7th round, and they get an undersized guy who's only real asset is pass protection. And our fullbacks don't pass protect very much.

Meh.

This whole draft felt pretty meh. But I guess if I had to single out one guy, I guess it would be Paul Richardson, who is the definition of pedestrian when he isn't running a go-route in garbage time when his team is down by five TDs. Richardson has the tools and route running talent to be a playmaker though, so I don't hate the pick. I just kind of think he's the Bobby Wagner of WRs, mostly boring, but he'll make a nice play here and there with his speed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Love: Marsh and Britt they play dirty but smart.

Like: Norwood and Richardson because they will be awesome fits with Wilson's playground style.

No hates because I completely get why they drafted Small. He's Robert Newsome 2014.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
It's a bit comical that some of you feel like you can judge 'meh' picks. Or any other '(insert any cute ascerbic internet messageboard term)' pick.

Good to know that .NET has got it all figured out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3evvjdt1 said:
It's a bit comical that some of you feel like you can judge 'meh' picks. Or any other '(insert any cute ascerbic internet messageboard term)' pick.

And I find funny that you feel the need to act like Mr. SmartyPants while never actually giving an opinion in an opinion thread. Just useless in fact.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":10a4gg1c said:

Haha so true.

I was a fan of the draft. Don't know enough to call any of the picks "meh" But what I do know is this FOs track record in the draft s incredible. But then again, everyone is a critic

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Favorite- Tie between Kevin Pierre-Louis and Eric Pinkins (they scream Seahawk!)

Least favorite- Kiero Small (WAY too many good players left on the board to draft a 5'8 fullback)

Meh- Most of the picks I thought were sort of "meh." Drafting Garrett Scott right ahead of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was a "meh" moment for me, although Scott is a great athlete in his own right. Cassius Marsh drew the biggest "meh."

kearly

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2lo7557i said:

Maybe I am in the wrong place. Anyone know where I can find a Seahawks message board?

General Manager

Reaction score
I'd probably feel more comfortable if they selected Latimer Robinson or Lee, but I like the fact they swung for the fences with Richardson that kind of game breaking speed is an awesome weapon.

I loved the Norwood selection just a solid WR all the way around.

drcool

Reaction score
The Jackson Jeffcoat UDFA signing is probably my favorite "pick". Think he will be a great addition to the D-line rotation. I Love that pick up.

Most interested to see Britt and Marsh on the field. Norwood and Richardson should both compete for a spot on the roster.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Loved the Kevin Peir louis pick. Kevin Norwood is meh to me. The others I just don't know enough about.

Largent80

Reaction score
Just like every Hawk draft with P & J, it was a headscratcher or meh, Mostly based on the draft forum and watching available media.

This one was no different with almost every pick. I did get to see Marsh a lot since I live in Socal, and this guy can play, has a nasty streak vibe.

After reading up on these guys and watching all the videos, I am pretty stoked as our scouts know exactly the types of players that are targeted and they do a LOT of exhaustive work unearthing players that fly under the radar.

It is the way this team was built.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hmm. With respect to those who don't think I should offer an opinion on a site designed for fan opinions, I'll risk it anyway:

Favorite pick(s): I have to lump both receivers, WR Paul Richardson and WR Kevin Norwood, into this category because I think while they addressed different needs, they were both key aspects of the same need, and that is getting guys open for Wilson to throw to. Wilson's biggest knock has been his lack of passing yardage. The mediots hate that, and ding him solely because of that, never mind our scheme, whether we're winning, touchdowns, whatever. These picks could help reverse that. Richardson can stretch the field with speed, and Norwood is a taller body in the middle that can go up and get contested throws. Both I like.

Hate it pick(s): A couple here, and for the reason that I think we could have gotten them as undrafted free agents; DT Jimmy Staten, and FB Kiero Small. When we picked Staten, nobody had even heard of him. His NFL draft profile was almost nonexistent. And Small wasn't one of the more heralded picks in an already mostly-ignored position. Few fullbacks are picked, and he wasn't one that stood out. Not a knock against either of these guys, but I don't know how the argument could be made that both these guys wouldn't have dropped undrafted where we could have gotten them for free, and used those picks - especially the 5th round pick - on guys we otherwise wouldn't have been able to get.

I think both these guys may be examples of our front office getting too much tunnel vision; granted, they pick the guys they want without deference to the rest of the league, but some attention must still be given to what everyone else is doing, or they're not going to get as good a value from the draft as they could. I love the way our front office drafts, don't get me wrong. I just think this is one of only a few weaknesses. They want their guys, and in the end they get them, but sometimes at the expense of getting them early, when they wouldn't have been drafted anyway, meaning they could have gotten them late in the 7th or as undrafted free agents anyway, with far less draft collateral spent.

Meh pick(s): All the rest of the picks except for the offensive linemen. The linemen filled a need, and I don't know enough about college linemen to say anything more than I hope these guys are the fix to our line problems. The rest of the guys, though, meh, they're decent looking players, they have some great potential, but to me they don't scream "future Pro Bowler." Granted, knowing our track record at these positions in the draft, a couple could quite well be the next to step up, start, and shine for us. They could be the next line of Richard Shermans and Kam Chancellors. Right now they just look to me like decent selections to fill journeyman roles and provide competition.

That said, knowing how things have gone the past few years, I probably predicted the complete opposite of what will happen.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":11e6nec0 said:

yeah guys, geez.....A message board about the Seahawks is no place to be giving your opinion about their selections..

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can't say I hate any of the picks.

I guess if I had a criticism, it would be that Seattle seems to really overestimate where the rest of the league sees many of these players. Seattle does such a great job at development -- but really I have to openly doubt that they are incapable of developing many of the other prospects that other teams in the league would pick where we do.

If I could change anything, it would be to acquire some of the talent that San Fransisco FO possesses in terms of getting insane value for the draft day trades they do. We don't value future picks and that's pretty obvious. But I can't help but think what this FO could do by churning trades into better future picks like SF does. If I assume that we'll see similar future drafts from this team, then imagine the horde of draft stock we could amass by continuing to stockpile future early picks (which we will almost assuredly trade back with again). Even if you look at the trades we make ... SF seems to get more even with picks they trade after us.

Ultimately, I have a fear that the jury is still out on the Seahawk method. 2011 was a draft saved by a couple late picks. 2012 was a draft made by Russell Wilson. 2013 was a draft that has really yet to be saved. 2014 is now a draft that looks like we won't get a handle on it until 2015/16. For me, the jury is still very much out on our success because if 2013/14 turn out to be dud drafts -- it'll be so based on the guys we didn't take. And then the question will be, is this a FO that got lucky a couple times and aren't as good as maybe we give credit for.

I strongly feel that we don't get the maximum value from our trades down. Not in the same way San Fransisco does. If we had that kind of trade acumen coupled with our ability to develop players late -- we could be perpetually stocked with early picks. With the guys we did eventually take -- Seattle could keep a 5-6 picks in days one and two situation basically forever. Using that stock to keep adding more future picks and littering the draft with day 3 picks.

We do a great job of moving down and adding draft stock. But then we kind of turn around and throw away that advantage by really taking guys that we could easily wait for. And if these two drafts don't provide the return of our earlier drafts, then we're left with the question of whether we're really as good as we think.

We openly don't grade for the rest of the league. But that also implies that maybe we don't really recognize a prospects' real worth. I'd be happy if we continue our late round magic. Right now, it seems that our best late round work is from 2010 and 2011. For me, I think the credit for drafting well late has expired on those guys. We don't have any Kam Chancellors or Richard Shermans in our 2012 or 2013 drafts. At least not yet. There are a lot of recent question marks and several guys no longer on the roster. If Seattle is going to allow many of these guys to walk as the program seems intended -- we need to see these question marks turn into solid answers.

This is a big year IMO. I think it'll go a long way to determining if we just struck gold early on or if this thing is sustainable.

chawx

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":i75ibupk said:
I think both these guys may be examples of our front office getting too much tunnel vision; granted, they pick the guys they want without deference to the rest of the league, but some attention must still be given to what everyone else is doing, or they're not going to get as good a value from the draft as they could. I love the way our front office drafts, don't get me wrong. I just think this is one of only a few weaknesses. They want their guys, and in the end they get them, but sometimes at the expense of getting them early, when they wouldn't have been drafted anyway, meaning they could have gotten them late in the 7th or as undrafted free agents anyway, with far less draft collateral spent.

First off, thanks for your analysis on the picks—that goes for everyone else who's given their opinions as well. I'm not a big college football watcher (unless it's the Utah Utes and who they play) so I rely on people who do watch lots of games for your help... but I wanted to address this part of your comments, Sailor.

I think the "problem" (in quotes) with PC/JS is not that they get too cute or get tunnel vision on their guy, it's that they literally give waaayyyyyyyyy too much credit to all 31 other NFL teams when it comes to finding these guys. I think they feel like a team like the Ravens, Lions, 49ers, whoever, are smart enough and diligent enough to know about these guys and they're worried that those teams will pick them up, when it's obvious that they're not smart enough to even know about these guys.

Maybe that's the "glass super-half full" way to look at it, but, these other teams are morons and I wouldn't be surprised if half the time their scouting process is to buy Kipers Insider mock drafts and use that as their draft board. Obviously, the best part about that is that fans LOVE it when the media loves their picks and gives them "A" grades or whatever. And it's always a good thing to keep the fans happy, but what, this is the 4th year Pete's been doing this for us and I think he's proven that there is no "meh" drafts, no "meh" picks, each one of these guys he's drafted has meant something to the team (except a small few), so I guess, randomly pick a few guys in this draft—maybe 1 or 2—and call them "meh" if you want, but those same 2 guys could end up pro-bowlers while the "love it" guys end up the "meh" picks. :229031_shrug:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3bh6waoc said:
Ultimately, I have a fear that the jury is still out on the Seahawk method. 2011 was a draft saved by a couple late picks. 2012 was a draft made by Russell Wilson. 2013 was a draft that has really yet to be saved.

Getting 2-3 impact players in each draft on the level of Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, etc. is excellent performance in the draft. You say a draft was "saved" by a couple of picks, but getting just a couple of true standouts in each draft is what these teams are aspiring to (as long as you're not cutting everyone else -- which we haven't). This gets particularly tough as draft positioning gets worse because your team is getting better. It seems you're comparing every year to 2010, but we had insane draft capital and optimal positioning that year. Comparing 2010 to 2013 is comparing apples and oranges, because the ammunition was completely different.

Bill Polian was reviewing the last few drafts for Seattle and said they were getting like three impact guys per year on average, which was a terrific track record over 2010-2012.

theascension

Reaction score
Favorite: Kiero Small - might not make the roster but he seems like a prototypical seahawk, tough little bowling ball. I'm a huge fan of Mike Tolbert so I'd love to see him become something like that.
Meh: Both our O-linemen, honestly sometimes seems like we're always shooting for a mediocre/average o-line. I'd love to be proven wrong however.
Hate: Hard to tell until we see these guys play.