Eric Pinkins the next Brandon Browner?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pinkins will wear No. 39 this year. He had 75 tackles, including seven tackles for loss, with four pass breakups and two forced fumbles in 2013. He played a rover position in San Diego State's defense. With more development, he's capable of playing any of the five positions in the Seahawks' secondary.

At 6'3, 220, Pinkins ran a 4.44-second 40, recorded a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump, and had 25 bench-press reps at his pro day. Needs to work on improving his instincts and lateral agility.

Conference call with Pinkins: http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... f43c988dbe

Big hits by Pinkins against San Jose State: http://youtu.be/s3rAf0g4EX4?t=2m8s

Pick-six against BYU: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8768368

509615739dde0image

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seems likely. They both have a color in their last name. That's all the proof I need.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
My expectation is that he'll be the next DeShawn Shead - an oversized DB whom they try at CB but whose lack of transitional quickness and footwork ultimately leads him back to Safety as a serviceable backup with some versatility and special teams value. And there's no shame in that, esp. for a late 6th round pick (a pick that I loved, BTW). Though for the record I do think that Pinkins has a better chance of sticking at CB than Shead did, as he's a better natural athlete than Shead. That being said, Browner was a natural CB who played the position his entire life, incl. at Oregon State and in the CFL, whereas Pinkins is going to have to learn it from scratch (occasionally covering slot receivers at SDSU is not the same as being a full-time CB in the NFL). I would love to see Pinkins make it at CB, but my expectations aren't nearly has high as my hopes in that regard.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":iitx20mc said:
My expectation is that he'll be the next DeShawn Shead - an oversized DB whom they try at CB but whose lack of transitional quickness and footwork ultimately leads him back to Safety as a serviceable backup with some versatility and special teams value. And there's no shame in that, esp. for a late 6th round pick (a pick that I loved, BTW). Though for the record I do think that Pinkins has a better chance of sticking at CB than Shead did, as he's a better natural athlete than Shead. That being said, Browner was a natural CB who played the position his entire life, incl. at Oregon State and in the CFL, whereas Pinkins is going to have to learn it from scratch (occasionally covering slot receivers at SDSU is not the same as being a full-time CB in the NFL). I would love to see Pinkins make it at CB, but my expectations aren't nearly has high as my hopes in that regard.

I agree with this, but there has to be some reason why they prefer to stick him at CB first.

[youtube]75ps3eSBAwM[/youtube]

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1t544956 said:
Seems likely. They both have a color in their last name. That's all the proof I need.

hahaha .

I think we can all hope that Pinkins becomes Browner . But IMO Browners instincts and clutch game will be irreplaceable.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Don't know if it'll happen, he's got some competition, but it sure looks like they're gonna try him there.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2y7n1n44 said:

You act as if Shead is some failed experiment at CB...when he isn't really... they moved him to safety. Because they needed the depth and the Seahawks were loaded with talent at CB last year prior to the season.

Sherman
Browner
Thurmond
Maxwell
Lane
Winfield
Blackmon (who started for the Jags)
Ron Parker (who was picked up by the Chiefs and played in 16 games w/ a start)

The most ironic thing though is that in Kearly's draft grade thread you scold those who were judging the picks and here you acting like you know absolutely what these draft picks can and can't do for this team before they even have a chance to work and develop their weaknesses at a professional level with professional training and professional coaching.

Geez.

lsheldon

Reaction score
There is a nice little write up at Field Gulls on Pinkins here (along with all of the other draft choices UDFA's & camp invitees): http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... stin-britt

6.208 S/CB Eric Pinkins 6'3,220 San Diego St.

Pinkins was on my radar prior to the Draft because he absolutely blew up his pro day -- 4.44 40 at 6'3, 220 pounds, a 39.5" vert, a 7.05 3-cone -- and is a LOB-prototype as a guy that can move while still packing some punch as a hitter.

Interestingly enough, the Hawks plan to use him at corner, with Pete Carroll noting, "The fact that he has such great arm length and he's almost 6'3" gives us a chance to see if we can find him a spot at corner, first. He's been a real physical guy. John reminded me that he's been a really good tackler. We thought that was one of the things that jumped out on the film. So, we know he can play football. Now, we'd like to see whether we can package this thing to see if he can play outside. He played a lot on the slots, but covered a lot of man-to-man stuff on slot receivers."

Whether it's in Kam's role or in a Brandon Browner type of enforcer cornerback role, it will be interesting to see how he develops with a few years of seasoning (or less).

Pinkins, like Sherman, has a receiver background, which is something the Seahawks really like, and it should help in his ability to think like a receiver, recognize patterns/routes, and look for the ball at the right time. He's a project, but it's intriguing for sure. Just another insanely freakish athlete for Pete Carroll's defense. With his size/speed, it'd be really nice if he can carve out a role on the roster as the ninth or tenth defensive back.

Smellyman

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2zie93er said:
My expectation is that he'll be the next DeShawn Shead - an oversized DB whom they try at CB but whose lack of transitional quickness and footwork ultimately leads him back to Safety as a serviceable backup with some versatility and special teams value. And there's no shame in that, esp. for a late 6th round pick (a pick that I loved, BTW). Though for the record I do think that Pinkins has a better chance of sticking at CB than Shead did, as he's a better natural athlete than Shead. That being said, Browner was a natural CB who played the position his entire life, incl. at Oregon State and in the CFL. whereas Pinkins is going to have to learn it from scratch (occasionally covering slot receivers at SDSU is not the same as being a full-time CB in the NFL). I would love to see Pinkins make it at CB, but my expectations aren't nearly has high as my hopes in that regard.

Exactly, not easy to transition to Corner and Browner was a VERY good corner already at OSU.

Hard to just take athletic big guys and put them at corner, that's why not many exist.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think the Sweezy switch is a lot more difficult for a player to make than a Pinkins switch. Maybe PC wants to prove to Cable he can coach'em up too. Obviously, it's all dependent on the player's capabilities; both mental and physical. But if the coaching/training system can be successful with Sweezy, a safety/corner switch has a reasonable shot.

Uffda

Reaction score
Here's to hoping that Tharold Simon is that type of CB, though without the timeouts off the field.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm thinking pinkins will jump ahead of Simon by mid pre-season. Listening to his position coach on Kjr, makes me think his he'll be successful and make the team

Skansi82

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":139b6wpf said:
You mean a slow footed, penalty ridding, suspension plagued DB? I certainly hope not.

That might be a little harsh, but I've always thought BB is overrated. Physical stud and an elite tackler in space, but I thought he was average at best in coverage and got a lot of stupid penalties. Had a great season in 2011, has been more of a liability ever since IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pinkins is definitely in the mold of Browner as far as measurables.

But he's also a project, what with only being a two year starter and pretty raw at a lot of fundamentals. But I trust Pete and Kris Richards to coach him up for the next couple of years and turn him into a Browner type of mauling CB.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2a6bdrb8 said:
Seanhawk":2a6bdrb8 said:
But IMO Browners instincts and clutch game will be irreplaceable.

That has already been replaced - and replaced very well - by Maxwell. 4 picks in the last 4 games and was beyond solid in the playoffs.

That allows a guy like Pinkins to develop - we don't need him to come in and start right away.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":39ufuvbl said:
EastCoastHawksFan":39ufuvbl said:
Seanhawk":39ufuvbl said:
But IMO Browners instincts and clutch game will be irreplaceable.

That has already been replaced - and replaced very well - by Maxwell. 4 picks in the last 4 games and was beyond solid in the playoffs.

That allows a guy like Pinkins to develop - we don't need him to come in and start right away.

Maxwell played very well and has shown a some great playmaking ability , especially his force fumble in the superbowl .

Brandon Browner saved games for us . His touchdown saving tackle against the Panthers and Patriots in the 2012 season both led to victories . His pick 6 vs the Giants in 2011 sealed that game for us . His force fumble and recovery vs the Panthers in 2012 was the play that won us that game .

I stand by saying Browner clutchness and beastliness is irreplaceable.

Our defense is among the greatest of all time so the loss of Browner doesn't hurt our team . I just will never forget who set the tone for the LOB and this Seahawks team. Lynch on Offense and Browner on Defense.