Who will be starter material from the ''UDFA''?

danp1990

Reaction score
So out of the UDFA Ranks who in your opinion makes the 53 man Roster Come Sept.? in my personal view i have two UDFA that will make the cut, again this is just my personal view and from what i think are some deficient spots in our current roster being SAM LB, and RG. Call me crazy but i like Brock Coyle to make headway out of mini camp and once pre-seaons done, be able to take Heath Farewell's Back up Role at MLB or take SAM LB .as for the next i was super stocked we were able to SIgn OG John Martinez out of USC a personal Recruit of Pete in 2010. This guy would be AWSOME at RG! easily could become one of Tom Cables Favorite when it comes to style play at the line here's some clips of him, ''NASTY TOUGH GUY WHO FINISHES PLAY'S''. Here's a small Bio of Physical Traits- Height 6-2 , Weight 310 , Benched 225 a wopping 42X's!!!, Vertical: 24.5, Broad: 8'3", 40: 5.33. He wears number #59 on the video and starts at RG - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOkRbXRsBk . I'll leave the floor for you guys now, As always GO HAWKS! :)

Not just brought in for a workout but Signed- http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt- ... z&limit=20

theascension

Reaction score
Jeffcoat and Coyle with Price going to the P.S, but this year there are a lot of really great UDFA's, it's going to be a damn tough training camp for everyone.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bailey takes JJ's spot (who's traded for a late pick in 2015 by JAX), Brock Coyle becomes a special teams hero and next year takes a starting role. Jackson Jeffcoat gets activated to the 53 half way through the year and takes Avril's gig next year. Chase Dixon spends a year on the PS but takes McCoy's place next year. Andru Pulu sits on the PS but gets activated due to an injury and becomes a long term back up.

Edit: holy crap that Martinez guy can haul ass in the run game. What's his pass protection like?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
danp1990":147v2wvc said:
So out of the UDFA Ranks who in your opinion makes the 53 man Roster Come Sept.? in my personal view i have two UDFA that will make the cut, again this is just my personal view and from what i think are some deficient spots in our current roster being SAM LB, and RG. Call me crazy but i like Brock Coyle to make headway out of mini camp and once pre-seaons done, be able to take Heath Farewell's Back up Role at MLB or take SAM LB .as for the next i was super stocked we were able to SIgn OG John Martinez out of USC a personal Recruit of Pete in 2010. This guy would be AWSOME at RG! easily could become one of Tom Cables Favorite when it comes to style play at the line here's some clips of him, ''NASTY TOUGH GUY WHO FINISHES PLAY'S''. Here's a small Bio of Physical Traits- Height 6-2 , Weight 310 , Benched 225 a wopping 42X's!!!, Vertical: 24.5, Broad: 8'3", 40: 5.33. He wears number #59 on the video and starts at RG - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOkRbXRsBk . I'll leave the floor for you guys now, As always GO HAWKS! :)

Not just brought in for a workout but Signed- http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt- ... z&limit=20

Dang, that guy is going to be a starter on our OL soon. Love it.

OP
OP
D

danp1990

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2vnhf3to said:
Edit: holy crap that Martinez guy can haul ass in the run game. What's his pass protection like?

Haha!!!, I know Man im havent found any video to post yet, but when i do SomersetHawk you'll be the first to know bro. :)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not sure any of these guys are starter material now. Jeffcoat will make the team though. Lock it up.

[youtube]6IpHHtl8gC4[/youtube]

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I think MLB Brock Coyle has the best chance of winning a spot the on 53-man roster for Week 1 (over Heath Farwell), but I think Garry Gilliam has the highest ceiling of all of our UDFA's long-term, though as sam1313 stated, it's just going to take some time with him. I don't see any "starter material" in this group, and I would hope our roster is strong and deep enough at this point to not be susceptible to losing starting jobs to UDFA's moving forward.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Are we talking about "starter material" or final 53? Because those are two very different questions. Of the UDFAs, Gilliam probably has the best odds to win a starting spot since the RT position is up for grabs, but even those odds are extremely slim. I don't think anyone else really has a realistic chance of winning a starting role; however, several have a good chance of landing depth spots or making it as primarily special teamers.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1g1m3b7m said:
Bailey takes JJ's spot (who's traded for a late pick in 2015 by JAX), Brock Coyle becomes a special teams hero and next year takes a starting role. Jackson Jeffcoat gets activated to the 53 half way through the year and takes Avril's gig next year. Chase Dixon spends a year on the PS but takes McCoy's place next year. Andru Pulu sits on the PS but gets activated due to an injury and becomes a long term back up.

As a junior in 2012, John Martinez was considered one of the best downfield blockers in the Pac-12. He also put up 42 bench press reps at his pro day. But he struggled with injuries last year, including plantar fasciitis that slowed him and made him vulnerable in pass protection. If he's healthy, his most value would come as a backup center. He's 6'2, 315. He was considered the No. 1 ranked center prospect out of high school.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Plantar fasciitis. Ouch. No wonder he plays so ornery. I know a few of our guys had this, Zach in particular. I can't recall if there is a corrective procedure for this or if rest is the only solution. I ask because this guy is beastly and I will enjoy watching him push a pile of 9ers around much more than I enjoyed watching him push my Dawgs around. Great strength, nice feet and plays just enough past the whistle. ; )

Throwdown

Reaction score
I can't see anyone honestly

Jeffcoat while I'm excited for him, sounds like a slightly less athletic Bruce Irvin, and jeffcoat is the only one I'd give that chance to.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
There was only a couple of prospects NFL scouts went to see at Southern University's "Pro Day" (if you could call it that. They had to put flyers on the scouts cars - something like that - at LSU's Pro Day to get scouts to extend their day and go see their prospects. I think there was only a couple of Southern U players on display. TE Rashaun Allen was one of them. Yardbarker is suggesting that the Seahawks may have a steal in the athletic (#84) Allen. Not suggesting he is starter material just yet, but wouldn't it be something if Allen turns out to be quite the player that was just overlooked. The Seahawks must have seen something in him to give him this opportunity.
tempRM2_7685-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hoping John can make the team. From everything I've heard, he's a really good kid. Injuries definitely hurt him this last season. If he's healthy, I think he has a decent shot.

JMR

Reaction score
#84 had a couple easy catches go right through his hands on Friday.

And I'm pretty sure it was Martinez who was blowing chunks all over the place at one point during practice, and it isn't like it was extremely hot.....

garrylt4

Reaction score
sam1313":3knk8hn8 said:
it will take some time, but Garry Gilliam will eventually snag a tackle spot...

My UDFA adopt a rookie, picked him because we spell our names the same. That's my reason, I didn't say it was a good reason.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JMR":oimppczq said:

Uh... #84 just made your comment look like the equivalent of a fumble. Look who was out there making big plays. Funny how that works out sometimes.

PLAYS OF THE DAY: NON-SCRIMMAGE VARIETY
Offense: We’ll steer clear of the scrimmage here and go with Price’s TD pass to Allen (that would be #84) in the first team drill of practice, as the tight end from Southern went up between four defenders to make the catch.

(In the Scrimmage...) Price had back-to-back completions for 51 yards to Rashaun Allen, a tryout tight end from Southern.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... f9f34cc473

Go Hawks.
tempJW-6126--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

JMR

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3rvzz37f said:
JMR":3rvzz37f said:

Uh... #84 just made your comment look like the equivalent of a fumble. Look who was out there making big plays. Funny how that works out sometimes.

Offense: We’ll steer clear of the scrimmage here and go with Price’s TD pass to Allen (that would be #84) in the first team drill of practice, as the tight end from Southern went up between four defenders to make the catch.

(In the Scrimmage...) Price had back-to-back completions for 51 yards to Rashaun Allen, a tryout tight end from Southern.

Go Hawks.
So this means he didn't drop those easy passes on Friday?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JMR":1s6nc9nl said:
TeamoftheCentury":1s6nc9nl said:
JMR":1s6nc9nl said:

Go Hawks.
So this means he didn't drop those easy passes on Friday?
(And yet... they didn't just cut him on the spot there Friday, now did they? :hmmmm: ) So, no player in the history of the NFL has ever dropped a pass only to show their true colors when it matters most? Come on, I can do this all day.

JMR

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1yzzum4o said:
(And yet... they didn't just cut him on the spot there Friday, now did they? :hmmmm: ) So, no player in the history of the NFL has ever dropped a pass only to show their true colors when it matters most? Come on, I can do this all day.
well, good for you....and you should certainly feel good about yourself for it. I was merely stating an observation from Friday. Jeezus.